Exhaust size. 2.5 or 3" ?

celigts

So I've gone 2.5" turbo back and everyone seems to diss the size choice but I believe if I went 3" I'd lose power bring that I'm mostly stock.

My personal goal was 3-350awhp so I didn't think I'd need bigger than 2.5

Wrong? If like opinions if the technical guys wanna jump in :)

l0ch0w

2.5 should be fine, really where the issue stems from is that often times people will install a 3 in downpipe and keep the stock 2 inch exhaust. This usually causes boost creep issues, dont ask me why cause ill make some shit up. Just try and keep your downpipe the same size as your exhaust, and you should be ok.

warracer

I ran 3'' dp > 2'' exhaust a whole 6month since I was in the middle of my semester, I experience a bit of boost creep but it wasn't that bad, but I was only running 10psi. Then I got the full 3'' setup, wow the feels great! much better throttle feel, power curve is almost linear compared to the 3<2 setup I had.

celigts

Is 2" our stock size?! Yikes! Hard to understand that lol. So then what I'm running is 2.5- stock midpipe and 2.5 from cat area back since its catless.

So boost creep is caused by the bottleneck thing or if it doesn't have enough power to flow the 3".

brutekiller787

the idea that you would lose power due to an oversized exhaust only applies to naturally aspirated cars that rely on cylinder scavenging to draw exhaust out of the cylinders. with a turbo in place, after the turbine wheel starts spinning it creates a vacuum to draw out gasses, but usually pressurized gas WANTS to get out of the cylinder anyway, just as any pressurized anything wants to expand.

turbos "spool up" faster when there is a high pressure differential between pre turbo exhaust and post turbo exhaust. a "low" pressure in the downpipe and a "high" pressure in the exhaust manifold will cause the turbo to spool quickly, while a "low(er)" pressure from an aftermarket custom manifold and a "high(er)" pressure from a too small or stock sized exhaust will cause slow turbo spool.

so to sum up, N/A cars have to worry about exhaust size, turbo cars, go as big as you can, you really won't lose anything. that being said, space pretty much confines an alltrac to 3" pipe. so go 3" if you can. you'll spool faster and will probably make more power than 2.5", but if it's done then it's done don't do it again till you need to.

underscore

Changes in pipe size cause turbulence, which messes with the exhaust flow. Whichever size you go with, be consistent, especially from the DP to the MP.

celigts

That's some great info guys. I did know the turbulence thing was bad going from big to small and vice versa.

The 2.5" will definitely stay then and just possibly get crush bent or DIY midpipe made since mines parked.

celigts

brutekiller787":11l5r932 said:
the idea that you would lose power due to an oversized exhaust only applies to naturally aspirated cars that rely on cylinder scavenging to draw exhaust out of the cylinders. with a turbo in place, after the turbine wheel starts spinning it creates a vacuum to draw out gasses, but usually pressurized gas WANTS to get out of the cylinder anyway, just as any pressurized anything wants to expand.

turbos "spool up" faster when there is a high pressure differential between pre turbo exhaust and post turbo exhaust. a "low" pressure in the downpipe and a "high" pressure in the exhaust manifold will cause the turbo to spool quickly, while a "low(er)" pressure from an aftermarket custom manifold and a "high(er)" pressure from a too small or stock sized exhaust will cause slow turbo spool.

so to sum up, N/A cars have to worry about exhaust size, turbo cars, go as big as you can, you really won't lose anything. that being said, space pretty much confines an alltrac to 3" pipe. so go 3" if you can. you'll spool faster and will probably make more power than 2.5", but if it's done then it's done don't do it again till you need to.

So reading this, I have a tubular manifold I was going to put on. eBay one and just had the tubes to flanges re welded to help prevent future breaking between pipe and such. Will I lose alot installing that? Can't say off hand what the pipe size is :/

Same ct26 but plan to get the ct27 from ats in future. If slower spool up is all ill see with the tubular then that's fine. I can deal with that for now.

brutekiller787

if it's decently made, and pipe length and bends are equal, you won't lose anything, you will gain. what i was talking about was like a ridiculously oversized manifold, like 2" runners and stuff. if you have an st185, you have a twin scroll turbo as well, which will help spool anyway. st165, you are out of luck lol

Hotrodhendrix

My experience based on 2 dyno runs about a year apart.

1st dyno had a crappy 2.5" short mid to fart can under front seats.

2nd dyno only thing that changed as far as the engine went was 3" mandrel bent exhaust with flow through style mufflers run all the way back. 72' glass pack style bullet muffler and dyno max style in the rear.

"NOTE I DO NOT HAVE DYNO PULLS IN FRONT OF ME"
Between the 2 setups the 1st pull spooled a good bit quicker. 2nd increased max hp by 60. Hard to believe I know. Boost was run off spring both times so it did not change. As for temp outside I dont know how different it was. Both pulls were on the same dyno.

Take from that what you will but at your goal range I would go ahead and do 3" as you will want more power eventually.... When that happens you will be ready for it.

~James

Greg_Canada

When i put a 3" MP and catback on my car, it made a noticeable improvement in power. This was an all-stock car. Just the catback did nothing but sound nice, with the MP, it "woke it up" and felt like the restriction was taken away. Did not get to the DP before i sold the car. I felt spool was similar to stock but with much more top end.

zero06

Stay 2.5" if the turbo you want is internal wastegate. Boost creep is not an issue you want. If you are going external then go 3" for better response.