Power mirrors not working, I may be missing something?

FC Zach

I searched "mirror switch" and "No suitable matches were found."

I've had my armrest/ center console out and checked possible wiring problems, and I found that I have a connector pigtail not going to anything. I have my car together now and figured I would ask here before pulling the armrest off again. . .

While searching the web I found this on FleaBay, this is actually a switch and relay assembly for the JDM power folding mirrors but I was wondering if my unused pigtail is for a relay that I don't have and possibly the reason my mirrors don't work. Any ideas??
$T2eC16J,!%298E9s4l6BMcBRlFZODT,Q~~60_57.JPG

FC Zach

I guess what I'm asking is. . . even though my car didn't come with the power folding mirrors, should there still be some sort of relay by the switch?

FC Zach

I believe a previous owner may have installed power folding mirrors but not entirely sure, I'm still trying to diagnose my non-functioning mirror issue and while searching for a relay like the one above I found a set of mirrors on ebay. I checked the numbers on my mirrors and the numbers match, here is the pic from the listing. Do these numbers indicate the model of mirror you have or are these numbers the same on all Celicas?

a5c726890314085008e08ded3fd6846f.jpg

FC Zach

If these are the folding units then there may be a whole mess of problems as to why my mirror adjusting switch doesn't do anything. I guess I'll be needing a writeup on how to make the JDM mirrors work on my USDM 92.

RedCelicaTRD

It does look like you have a set of folding mirrors. There are a few write ups on the internet about wiring up the folding mirrors on a USDM chassis.

FC Zach

The other pigtail/connector I mentioned that isn't going to anything may be for the power seat that a previous owner had removed. I just assumed that it could be for the mirrors since they didn't function.

deecee

count the number of wires in the connector loom and list out the wire colours.
Easiest way to determine whether they are for the mirrors or not.

Easiest way to to use your own wiring to make it work.

deecee

just to check, do you have the control, relay box and the mirrors? If you are missing the relay box, then the setup isn't going to work. The relay box is located underneath the drivers side panel next to the steering column on RHD cars.

If you really wish to solve, then you need to trace the wires through the loom and see where they end up.

Unfortunately, its a bit hard to ascertain what modifications your car has without being there and taking the car apart..

FC Zach

Not sure if I have the relay or not but I will check for that too. I have a LHD car and I would presume that it's still by the column? I'll sort this out when I get home, thanks!

FC Zach

The vacant connector I mentioned earlier that I now believe may be for the power seat is a 9 pin connector with only 6 wires. Colors: red, white/black, white/blue, black/blue, black and red/blue.

FC Zach

Here's a pic of the connector and also a pic of a retractor control. The numbers on the retractor control don't match up to the pic from Ebay above, is the piece for headlights?

Attachments

• IMG_20130530_073857_639.jpg
    IMG_20130530_073857_639.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 2,975
  • IMG_20130530_073937_089.jpg
    IMG_20130530_073937_089.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 2,975

FC Zach

This retractor controller box mounted by my fuse box.

Attachments

• IMG_20130530_081631_042.jpg
    IMG_20130530_081631_042.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 2,975

FC Zach

Well here's my problem, maybe these wires need to be connected to something lol :bangshead:

Attachments

• IMG_20130530_084214_881.jpg
    IMG_20130530_084214_881.jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 1,714

FC Zach

I've connected the three wires necessary to make the mirrors function. Now to study the write ups to learn how to wire up the folding option.

FC Zach

Now that I've learned a previous owner had mounted power folding mirrors on my USDM car at one point in time and that they were never wired (not even the three wires for the mirror adjustment on each side) I have decided to complete what was started. I purchased the switch & relay box pictured in the original post. The parts came in the mail and I have already studied the wiring diagrams from other members who have successfully adapted these mirrors to function on a USDM ST185, one like this:
mirrorwiring.jpg

It all seems easy enough. I'm gonna run the four extra wires to each mirror but I would like to know where to properly mount the mirror control relay on my USDM 1992. Member DeeCee responded in an earlier post that "The relay box is located underneath the drivers side panel next to the steering column on RHD cars.", what about a LHD Celica? If there isn't a proper place to secure it I guess I could just mount it anywhere like under the radio.

deecee

Securely mount the relay box in an under dash location where it will not get knocked around - don't be tied to doing things in a perfect OEM way - be practical and logical :)

FC Zach

Done, zip tied down to cruise relay?

Attachments

• IMG_20130619_205809_805.jpg
    IMG_20130619_205809_805.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 1,689