1991 Corolla All-Trac / The 3SGTE swap no one does

mk1spyder

I'll have pictures up shortly, I am in the process of the swap right now, got the old 4A-FE engine/trans out. I wanted to share some research I've done, and I cannot believe more people haven't done this swap.

Corolla All-Tracs were mostly AE95 wagons, but for one year only in the US they made a 1989 Corolla All-Trac sedan. I decided to go with a 91 wagon because they are just much easier to find and only weigh about 100lbs more, but still hundreds less than a celica all-trac.

They use the same front suspension as any other corolla of the generation, including the red top Corolla GTS. They share a the same exact suspension in the rear as the AE86 Corolla GTS minus a flipped panhard bar. So the options are numerous, and the sold axle in the rear is plenty strong. Most people don't know but the AE85 rwd corollas actually had a weaker rear axle than the GTS, the AE85 having a 6.3" ring gear and the AE86 GTS having a 6.7" ring gear, which Toyota was nice enough to bless the corolla all-trac with.

A ST205 swap is not hard at all. Since 3 of the 4 engine mounts bolt to the transmission they are a direct swap into the corolla! (because the corolla all-trac also uses an E-series transmission). The corolla all-trac actually uses the same trans as the 1st gen Rav4's, both have center locking differentials. Because of this the corolla all-trac CV axles are the same as a Rav4, but they are not the same as the ST205 trans. ST165-ST185-ST205 transmissions all use the same CV axles so long as they do not have the manual locking diff like the early 165's did. To clarify, only the drivers side is different due to the locking differential. The Corolla/Rav4/early 165 passenger side CV axle will all slide right into the ST205 trans. So 3 out of 4 engine mounts and the passenger side cv axle all bolt on.

But wait what do we do about the drivers side CV axle? Buy a ST185 axle, it will go right into place because the corolla all-trac already comes with the bigger hub splines to fit E-series axles. The difference between the LSD center (st205) and the Locking diff (corolla/rav4/early st165) drivers axles is the axle seal surfaces. I am also going to use a ST185 passenger cv axle, the corolla one fits fine but uses an older/weaker tripod inner joint vs the double cardon of the later model axles, but atleast I have a free spare.

Then you may ask what about the driveshaft to the rear axle? Slides right into the ST205 trans no mods, right length and everything. Shifter cables hook up, speedo gear goes into the trans, etc...

The only custom work is to fit a 88-91 camry alltrac passenger side engine mount to the 3SGTE and then cut off the corolla engine mount, slide it 2" and reweld, easy for any fabricator shop for less than $100. And then the wiring which isn't hard since you can just ship them off these days and have it done for you.

Also the 88-91 Corolla GTS gauge cluster will pop right in giving you a 9k tach and 155mph speedo. Corolla GTS rear LSD will pop right into the solid axle. With a 4 link coil setup can anyone say drag launch lol?

The best thing I've found is that the fuel pump, has an access plate about 2 inches inside the hatch under the carpet lol. Just open the lift gate and theres your fuel pump access, don't even have to remove the rear seat cushion. I'm going to gut this bitch out and have a light drag car that weighs hundreds less than a celica with more cargo space for hauling crap. Does it look like a POS? YES, sleeper anyone?

spitfiremk16

This sounds awesome! Pics please! It would be nice to see someone document this swap to add to the knowledge base on here.

phattyduck

Don't forget the Camry Alltrac manuals also got the locking center diff setup. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing this done! And pics of the progress, of course.

-Charlie

mk1spyder

Phattyduck, what transmission did you use for your Camry ST205 deal? If you used the ST205 E154F what did you do about the drivers CV axle? Same thing i'm doing?

If anyone is interested I do have the Corolla E55F5 trans and engine whichever you want up for sale on ebay.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqFHJEgFGpP4!2McBRtQhocw4Q~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqFHJEgFGpP4!2McBRtQhocw4Q~~60_57.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 41,330
  • $T2eC16FHJHoFGl06!SyhBRtQhgMFlQ~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16FHJHoFGl06!SyhBRtQhgMFlQ~~60_57.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 41,330

mk1spyder

Also does anyone know of a clear timing belt cover for the 3rd gen? Or if the 2nd gen can be made to fit?

I am going for a simple light clean fun to drive build.

HKS Gen3 purple belt
HKS purple cam gears
GSC Gen3 S1 cams
Not sure which downpipe yet
ST215 Gen4 side feed intake manifold with ST205 throttle body
Hybrid clutch on stock machined flywheel (clutch masters pressure plate w/ACT solid 6 puck disc)

Already have everything minus the Cams and downpipe (negotiating price on the cams right now hah). Clutch is already installed with new Toyota release bearing. The theory is to put poly bushings in the suspension, new control arms, new springs assist shocks in the back from a tercel 4wd to help with the dive, new brakes, axle fluid, and whatever other maintenance it needs to be a good daily driver. Then install a 2 step and launch the ever living piss out of the car.

My theory is that weighing significantly less than celicas, but having the strongest E154F trans, it should live up to the launches. My guess is that it will take out the carrier bearing bushings in the driveshaft first hah. Oh and dont forget the Gforce KDW sticky tires.

phattyduck

mk1spyder":3hznrfo9 said:
Phattyduck, what transmission did you use for your Camry ST205 deal? If you used the ST205 E154F what did you do about the drivers CV axle? Same thing i'm doing?
I used an ST205 E154F, just like you. As for axles, it is essentially ST185 front axles. In my case, I used ST185 stubs L/R and Camry V6 outer axles (compatible with ST185 outers). I already had the outers from when I had built a 3S-GTE/E153 FWD Camry and just swapped them on to the new inners. My Camry was originally auto, so I went with all new axles. Check the track width on the Corolla, maybe you can use the same stuff I did?

Same deal, though... mechanically the swap is even easier on the Camry - the factory 3s-fe mount bolts right on and works perfectly. The only unusual challenge is that the 3rd gen oil filter mount location interferes with a suspension mount on the Camry - you just need a relocation kit and a bit of clearance (cut/weld) on the mount. The Camry also shares the same rear suspension design as the Celicas, so I swapped in a complete ST205 rear end (subframe, diff, arms, axles) to go with the rest of the setup.

Nobody makes 3rd gen clear covers that I know of yet. I was considering doing a small cutout with a clear window to show it off instead. Of course, I have all stock components under the timing cover, so its a little less interesting under there that yours will be. :wink:

-Charlie

mk1spyder

Yeah the camry is definitely easier for sure. I was going to go that route, actually I was originally wanting to do a 2 door Rav4 but they are all OBD2. But turns out the corolla all-trac is the lightest and the GTS solid rear axle makes me love it.

spitfiremk16

You mentioned that you were going to use a gen 3 st205 throttle body on a gen 4 st215 caldina intake manifold? Will the throttle body bolt up to the manifold or will it require the use of a custom adaptor?

Why a gen3 throttle body? The gen 4 has a slightly wider opening. Gen4 throttle is like 1mm bigger in diameter. If u run the 4h gen throttle body, your gonna have an extra wire left over. This wire is only used for cruise control so unless you have cruise control, you dont need it!

phattyduck

celicast184":1z6jm51m said:
Why a gen3 throttle body? The gen 4 has a slightly wider opening. Gen4 throttle is like 1mm bigger in diameter. If u run the 4h gen throttle body, your gonna have an extra wire left over. This wire is only used for cruise control so unless you have cruise control, you dont need it!
The ST215 throttle body only has a 3-wire TPS while the ST205 has a 4-wire TPS. The ST205 ECU needs the IDL switch in the throttle body, but it is easy to add a microswitch to get it working. Aside from that, it is a little hassle with the vacuum lines and PCV venting.

I almost did an ST215 intake manifold on my ST205 motor, but decided against the little extra hassle.

-Charlie

Redrkt01

Why not keep the E55? Internally it is virtually the same as any post 91-92 E-series. Triple cone synchros in 1st, 2nd. Double in 3rd, reverse. I have a 1995 E56 and it is basically the same as an E154 save for the transfer case. It's a great heavy duty platform for FWD if someone wants to bwap the transfer with the block-off plate.

phattyduck

celicast184":3m9wl2id said:
i bet the tps can be swapped over!! jus gotta follow bgb instruction on how to set it up!
Nope. The throttle/TPS swings opposite on the ST215 manifold... you would have to swap wires internally to get it to work.

-Charlie

brutekiller787

So Would A Rear LSD For An Ae86 Work For This? And My Next Question Would Be Are The Differentials In The Rear The Same Amoung All Alltracs. Because I May Have AccessTo A Cheap Ae86 LSD

mk1spyder

Yes all corolla all-tracs have the same 6.7" rear axle as the AE86 GTS (just with the panhard bar on the opposite side and drum brakes), tercel 4wd's use the 6.3" out of the non-gts AE85's. So the LSD for an AE86 will work in a corolla all-trac. Not all AE86 GTS had factory LSD's, it was actually a somewhat rare option.

The ST215 throttle body is all wrong for this car, it swings open backwards and to make it right you'd have to flip it upside down. The ST205 throttle body bolts right to the ST215 manifold you just have to port the opening slightly (big whoop). Much easier than making a custom IDL microswitch and flipping the TB upside down. The less that can go wrong the less that will.

A lot of the ST215 setup makes things harder, the wiring for one is much more complex than the ST205 and the ST215 trans doesn't have a spot for the speedo gear. ST205's have a sensor in the old mechanical hole so you just take it out and put the gear adapter in.

Phattyduck I bought your ST215 manifold from you lol, I just realized that. I don't think it will be very hard to make it work. Then i'm just going to run a fat air/air intercooler between the turbo and I/M right over the transmission with a ram air scoop. Relocate the battery. Same thing I did with my 4E-FTE paseo, gives you insta spool like the factory top mount but it puts it over the trans instead of the engine so it doesn't heat soak nearly as bad. Plus with a fan on the bottom and the hole cut in the hood with a scoop fixed to the intercooler you get some legit air flow. Then when you go to the drag strip you just fill the scoop up with ice and it acts as a ram air ice cage for better cooling than any front mount can do off the line unless you have a spray on it.

mk1spyder

I think the celica all-trac is about the same size but it is an IRS instead of solid axle so the differential housing is obviously completely different. The Camry and Celica share the same setup.

phattyduck

mk1spyder":1dkxhtug said:
Phattyduck I bought your ST215 manifold from you lol, I just realized that. I don't think it will be very hard to make it work. Then i'm just going to run a fat air/air intercooler between the turbo and I/M right over the transmission with a ram air scoop. Relocate the battery. Same thing I did with my 4E-FTE paseo, gives you insta spool like the factory top mount but it puts it over the trans instead of the engine so it doesn't heat soak nearly as bad. Plus with a fan on the bottom and the hole cut in the hood with a scoop fixed to the intercooler you get some legit air flow. Then when you go to the drag strip you just fill the scoop up with ice and it acts as a ram air ice cage for better cooling than any front mount can do off the line unless you have a spray on it.
Haha! Well, I hope you get some good use out of it. :D

As for the intercooler... is the Corolla front end as limited for space as the Camry? I had to cut out a TON of bumper support to get a 2.75" thick intercooler core in there. I get a bit jealous each time I see the Celica front end and how much room is up there. If you do the 'battery-tray' mounted intercooler, I would vote to put a fan under and pull air from behind the headlight and the wheel well and blow it out of the hood. The airflow is more natural that way (that front section if the hood is a low pressure area).

-Charlie