st205 into st185 swap faq/ and parts compatibility

Corey

3rd picture looks like Turbo VSV and some other valve - the purple Vac can pops into that flexible C shaped mount on the right of the bracket.

I removed the A/C valve when I deleted my A/C system - no issues.

phattyduck

turbocelica":1fe28jpd said:
So since I don't have evap or ac I can get rid / cap off all of them?
That would work!

If you find the plug for the evap VSV (found on/near the ST205 charcoal canister, light blue plug I believe), put a 1k ohm or so resistor in it to keep the check-engine light away.

-Charlie

turbocelica

ive been out driving my swap for a week or two now, its not as fun as it could be considering i have code 22,23 and 54. I did exactly how it was explained to do the code 54 fix but it still wont go away i never hear the relay clicking but i have the code as soon as i turn the key to the on position. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix these three that would be great. I wired in a relay, the 2 resistors just like the write up showed.

CMS-GT4

If you are getting code 54 when you start the car, you most likely need to ground LEV. That is the first system check for the ecu and IC. It does not check for pump till over a certain RPM.

22 is a short in the watch temp sensor. You might need to find the bit scott typed about that in this thread and check how you wired it. 23 is not in the BGB, but I know I ran across it before.

EDIT: Here is my solution with the code 23. Pretty sure its related to THAM, so do you have the air temp sensor wired in correctly.
CMS-GT4":m3x0gsk3 said:
I found my code 23 issue. I have a harness extension at the ecu that I can use to tap my emange into.

I found that I had a wire in the wrong place. Resolved the issue though. Moved the wire, code 23 is gone.

Now I have a code 31. and my vac is low as well. ~15hg.

Code 31 is an open or short in vac sensor.
Good lord, what could that mean now.

turbocelica

fixed code 54, now i have 21,22,23 and 31 lol
This is getting old chasing these codes , you get rid of one and 2 more come say hello. Any suggestions

CMS-GT4

Well 21 is O2 sensor and 22 is water temp. 31 is vac sensor. I would just look at the bgb pdf, and then see if you can trace your wiring to anything you missed or put in the wrong location. That sort of winds up how you have to trouble shoot the rest of it.

phattyduck

turbocelica":31abjn1q said:
so the map sensor? or am i thinking of something else
Yeah, MAP sensor. Check the wiring and the hoses to the sensor.

Any one of those codes will make the car run like crap. Hopefully you get them figured out!

edit - all those are 'sensor' related. Make sure the brown sensor ground wires are all good and that they all connect to each other near the ECU (and to the ECU).

-Charlie

turbocelica

not sure what i did other than put a zip tie down on the map sensor air feed and now i dont have the code lol, but down to 22 and 23 which should be simple.... should be

turbocelica

i think the problem is with my harness, when i pull / shake it the car idles higher and lower and that code 31 comes and goes. I think the connector going to the ecu in a piece of shit, the only thing i know isnt wired is the coolant temp sensor in the water neck everything else should be.

quieter

if i was to use the st205 harness (jdm st205 swap) in my LHD st185, would i need to buy a harness extension or extend it myself?

phattyduck

quieter":kpedtoer said:
if i was to use the st205 harness (jdm st205 swap) in my LHD st185, would i need to buy a harness extension or extend it myself?
Body harness (under dash, etc.) and fuse box plugs are totally different on the ST205 vs. ST185. It is a lot more than just lengthening that you would have to do. You should probably plan on using your ST185 harness and modifying it to work with the ST205 motor and ECU.

-Charlie

monkracing29

Alright here's a question for you guys I am trying to figure out which throttle cable to use I looked through the thread and I didn't see anything about it am I blind :shrug: or is there nothing about it on there the 185 throttle cable just doesn't fit on the 205 throttle body. Is there a way to get it on there correctly?

phattyduck

monkracing29":2x4tiwny said:
Alright here's a question for you guys I am trying to figure out which throttle cable to use I looked through the thread and I didn't see anything about it am I blind :shrug: or is there nothing about it on there the 185 throttle cable just doesn't fit on the 205 throttle body. Is there a way to get it on there correctly?
What are you having trouble with specifically? I was able to use the stock Camry throttle cable with very minor modifications on my ST205 motor. I don't think anybody has had a problem re-using their stock throttle cable yet when doing ST185->ST205.

-Charlie