what psi does the stock turbo take??

RossStevens1

hi there, I've been having a search about on the forum to see what psi the standard turbo on an st185 can take safely but cant seem to find any info on this, any information would be greatly appreciative.

many thanks

Ross

Corey

I've set my jdm ceramic turbo up to 17 psi for the past month. Not daily driven anymore and I'm not sure how long it will last at that pressure. 132000 km on the motor and turbo.

I also have mods to support that pressure. I would not consider more than 12 on a stock motor.

underscore

Isn't 12 the stock settings for 3/4/5 gear? For the regular 185's fuel cut hits around 14.7psi though, so there's not much point in raising it aside from maybe a full time TVSV mod.

Corey

This is a clip from the 1990 ST185 USDM manual

While driving with the engine running at 2,800 rpm or
more with the throttle valve fully open in the 2nd gear,
check the turbocharging pressure.
Standard pressure: 0.50 – 0.83 kg/cm2
(7.1 –11.8 psi, 49 – 81 kPa)

warracer

15psi is considered the ''limit'' of the CT26. But you will need a Fuel cut defender in some cases to push 15psi, it is safe on the stock engine, but it will put some pretty harsh stress on the turbo itself, you are also at the limit of the stock 3SGTE headgasket and also very near the fuel system limit, but it is considered ''safe'' to run 15psi stock, Im still running 15psi on stock engine and ceramic ct26 with 215000Km. But, you should read the power primer as there's alot of great information on there :)

4rsnduction

Disconnect the vacuum line going to the turbo pressure sensor, then block the line off to stop the vacuum leak...this way you can boost upto what ever the turbine can physically flow.
For me on my ADM ct26 its about 19psi until you get to the higher rev range then it drops to about 15psi, simple physics say you cant flow more than a given amount though a finite space.

CSAlltrac

I currently have my boost set hitting 20lbs for about a thousand RPM then it falls to 10 after about 5500 RPM. This is on a stock CT26 with a forge WG.