Shifter Cables

MrMcQuacker

Hey guys, I have to change mine out soon. I just wanted to ask I have a st165, will st162 shifter cables work with my st165? Also is there any other alternative besides using st165/162? just curious.

dkdmonk

Not so fast :bs:
ST18X
I don't think they are the same. Same length, same mount at shifter, not same at trans mount.

I pulled some off a GTS and thought they would work BUT they don't mount up the same where the "fixed" (outer) cable mount is held in place with the brake line like push tab.

Found a thread here where someone else found out the same thing and they built a washer stack spacer to get them to work. This is what I need to do just haven't yet.

Hope this helps! They will fit, just not without other work.

fussellbug

The ST162 uses the S53 transmission which has shifter cable mounts cast into the transmission housing. These cast mounts are thicker than the sheet metal ones on the E50 so the ends of the cables are slightly different.
shifter_cables.jpg

The upper one is what your ST165 cable should look like and the lower one is what the ST162 would look like.
(these are actually AT180 and ST184 cables from S53 and C52 transaxles but have the same mountings)
You may be able to use a spacer to mae the ST162 cable work since they have a longer lip to work with.

i used some washers from axle bolts. i cut a portion of it out so it looks like a C. slip thos into the cables then the clip holds it all together.