Mishimoto st185

lumbercis

I'd believe the one guy in this thread that's actually logged his temps (2_Liter_Turbo) over the 20 people saying "seems fine". How do you know the mishimoto is even an improvement over stock if you haven't measured it?

klue

The mishimoto rad is massive, I've used it on track cars and street cars without issue. Is it as good as a koyo ? probably not
but it works, its cheap, they offer a great warranty

underscore

lumbercis":2al10wuk said:
I'd believe the one guy in this thread that's actually logged his temps (2_Liter_Turbo) over the 20 people saying "seems fine". How do you know the mishimoto is even an improvement over stock if you haven't measured it?

How big of an issue is 5-10 degrees? And was he comparing the Mishi to a stock one, or a Koyo? Did the temps drop back down when he switched back? There are a tonne of variables not mentioned, and for hundreds of dollars I would say the "risk" of going up a couple degrees is worth it.

brutekiller787

I have an asi rad in my 165 and where my temp gauge would always settle about halfway on the gauge, now it barely gets off cold on the highway, stay at about a quarter in the city. No low temp thermostat, no other cooling system mods besides dual 10s and 75% water.

900 dollars for a radiator is ridiculous. That's decent low mileage Garrett turbo range. I bought my Asi on eBay for 150. how much better can you really get for something that is just going to get smashed by bugs, dirt, rocks, and other random road debris.

For 10, 20, even 30 degrees, its just not worth it. That's a house payment, rent, or tons of other goodies.

ST_6396

From everything I have heard so far, the stock radiator is more than enough, even for a modified car. All you really need are a pair of 10-12" fans for stop and go city driving. Unless you are looking for the "oooh shiny" factor just keep the stock radiator and get some nicer fans so you can put your moneys to better use.

FC Zach

I have the Mishimoto installed on my ST185, it has been on the car for months now. The quality of the piece looked great and so far I have no issue with it. It does what it needs to do, looks good and is at an affordable price!

Best of all is that the company issues a lifetime warranty! I spoke with a guy that is a distributor and said the warranty is no joke, if there is any issue with a product, they will resolve the problem no questions asked.

aus jd 2703

ST_6396":3vwvbavm said:
From everything I have heard so far, the stock radiator is more than enough, even for a modified car. All you really need are a pair of 10-12" fans for stop and go city driving. Unless you are looking for the "oooh shiny" factor just keep the stock radiator and get some nicer fans so you can put your moneys to better use.

yes and no, yes size wise its likely adequate for street use if its in perfect condition (unlikely on 20+yr old cars).
and for track you need more cooling, especially as it cools your oil to and on track thats critical.
i bought a non mishimoto aluminium radiator not because i needed more cooling but because my old one was leaking and a new oem was way more! sometimes after market is cheaper and better ie turbo's!

mike325ci

I just ordered me a Mishimoto radiator for my ST185 along with a 12" Derale puller fan. My stock 21 year old radiator with plastic ends started to show stress lines and finally gave up this past weekend up at CMR2E on the 3rd day of hard driving (1st day track lapping, 2nd day autocross, 3rd day ProSolo autocross) when temps shot way up to the red and it finally burst... FYI, I run 16psi for autocross and 14psi for track and stock boost (boost controller set to "off") for the street for fuel economy. Otherwise stock motor/internals/CT26.

I had a low temp thermostat and high pressure radiator cap. I didn't want another plastic radiator that would crack and burst. I'm going to see how the single fan fits and if there's space get a second fan. That should be enough cooling even for track/racing duties... :)

brutekiller787

If its anything similar to ASI the 185 would be slightly thicker (52mm vs 46mm) and it does not have the water cooler outlet next to the top main hose. Otherwise they are the same

GT4_DRED

brutekiller787":3q0bv02a said:
If its anything similar to ASI the 185 would be slightly thicker (52mm vs 46mm) and it does not have the water cooler outlet next to the top main hose. Otherwise they are the same

Good! I don't use the water outlet anyway. Thanks!

klue

brutekiller787":1stblo49 said:

are you 100% sure?
honest question

mike325ci

FYI, I have a write-up on my Mishimoto radiator installation on an ST185 on my "Project Car" thread with photos here:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=22973&p=446018#p446018

In short, it was a very simple and almost perfect swap from stock and fits very well. No comment on performance yet as I need to do a track or autcross day to see (sorry, no true water temp gauge).

Droptop93

Can I reuse my radiator cap with this radiator? I have a genuine TRD cap. Or do I have to use their's?

Also anyone running the mishmoto fans?

FC Zach

I'm not sure about the cap but I could try later.

I'm using one of their slim fans and it works great for my application.