Electric power steering conversion... this will be fun :)

deecee

hmm.. reservoir looks like it sits below the dash trim line. Potential leg interference or are you good?

MWP

Reservoir? You mean the electric motor.
That not my car... thats a photo of someone else who has done it in a Corolla.

It might hang a little below the dash trim like that, but i dont think it would get in the way of your legs/feet.

I think the ZRE152 EPS motor isn't as long as that one either.

deecee

Yes, your signature says and I have read through your project before. Hence the confusion with the LHD older vehicle.
So when do expect to have everything completed?

MWP

Ahhh right :twisted:
Yeah, those photos are from a guy in the US who has put the Yaris EPS unit into his AE95.
Work log is here: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/engine ... ering.html

I have no idea when it'll all be done.
Even though im manualizing my steering rack now, i might not have the EPS unit installed under the dash for some time. If i need to drive the car before i get the EPS unit installed, it just wont have any power assisted steering.
A friend of mine is currently stripping down a ZRE152 for rally use, so probably wont be using the EPS column it has. Ill wait until he is happy to hand it over.

MWP

Progress...

Rebuilt & manualised ST185 rack.
eNpdjMFOwzAQRH_F8r3N2N4Ys7mBEOJQCVHulXHd1DQ4kRMkKsS_k6rtAea0761mPDv-HtmwHFKQzcgOLFe-HMbq3hfxnMJ8xC4FL9avytWVhjILuAVIrKcYS8qtePHhIHzeiofcphzFnT9WT6vHDcFg-T60p11iuUtdJ5vEmLFmGXzYxxOrM0_7z4-361-x_LrUFAB5Vsf_anZd3_ab0Jccy3XMXewQJtlsGUvC32itQWRBt7qGUQYOjm60NcZY5ZQlWF03P7_UcE3Q.jpg

MWP

Nice :)
So is your blog up to date? Its still running in limp-home mode so far?
Megasquirt can't output CAN bus packets suitable to run the EPS without specific support being added to the MS firmware.

Its been a while since i update this thread... mine is all up and running & on the road.

Test fit:
eNpdjkEOgjAQRa9CZg-0tShOl8YYFiQkuCe1IFQrEIqJxnh3S5CFzmrem8zPlxjjy-IKodcKhMV1hJDK4WrDnRy8TCu3VEYr6eVHGkchI5T7hPk09vZZ7iWtHaUxVRkm6aHYMr4JLn09BXGEszYGhEbi0MUqqZpqYjrz2Nxvp-VOER7Tm2uyJQRm8_wzTpmu7grVDW01LFHx1_ZqBFEiCTj5HSbeH0kgQRE,.jpg

Just fits:
eNpdjtEKgjAUhl9l7F7dpsY8u4wILwTB7mUt09VS2QyK6N2bmBd1rs73Hc7PL4HDy0EMeNQKCwebFHAh7dVFW2lRqZVfGqOVRNWB8jRihCYBYQHlaFdWKO_dJI1pTlFe7OuMpXF4Gds5KAF81sZgoYF49LFKqq6ZmS48dffbcb1TwI_5zTfJCMGLef4Zr8zQDrUabN_YNYp_7agmLE5AwoT8DhPvD0dcQQ4,.jpg

Original column mount:
eNpdjtEKgjAUhl9l7F7dpsY6u4yQAkGwe1nLdLScTIUievcm5kWdq_N9h_PzS-DwGiAG3GuFxQCbBHAu3W2IdtKhQiu_1EYricoT5WnECE0CwgIWo31RotxO3ai7JjrkWUUo4-GxyOYcH3PVxmChgXhMASup2npmuvDYTvfzeqeAH_ObL7IlBC_m-We8MraxlbKuq90axb-2VyMWFyBhQn6HifcHwT5AUg,,.jpg

New column mount:
eNpdjssOgjAQRX-lmT1QyiM4XRpjXJCQ4J7UilCtlBRINMZ_twRZ6KzmnMncXIEZvgaMEHolgQ-Yxgi5sLch2ApLCiXdUmslBSmPYZYEjIaxR5nHIrIrSpKbqRtV1wSHfF9tWMr8a9_MOS7morQGrpA6TBCkkG09c7jw2E7303oPER7zmyuyoRQW8_wzTmnTmEoa29V2jcq-tpcj8DNSP6a_w_j7A_2XQLo,.jpg

Column fitted up and working.
EPS control box is mounted where the factory ECU normal sat.
eNpdjssOgjAQRX-lmb3QlkdgujTGuCAhwT2pFaGKlBRINMZ_twRZ6KzmnMncXIkJvgYMEHqtQAwYhwiZtLfB30pLcq3cUrVaSVIcWRL5nLJwQ_mGB2SXFyQzUzfqrvYP2b5MeZx6176ec1zMRbctCI3UYYSgpGqqmdnCYzPdT-udITzmN1ckpRQW8_wzTrWmNqUytqvsGpV8ba9GEGekXkh_h4v3BwHHQME,.jpg

MWP

I haven't made a controller for it yet, so it feels pretty terrible so far.
Ill whip one up in the next few weeks.

bajallama

MWP":6ymafewh said:
Nice :)
So is your blog up to date? Its still running in limp-home mode so far?
Megasquirt can't output CAN bus packets suitable to run the EPS without specific support being added to the MS firmware.

Darn. After you told me this I found your post on the MS forums! Sadly no one has responded. That sucks though, I guess I'll just have to output from the MS to a CAN sim then to the EPS ECU.

Ya my blog was updated yesterday. It works fine in limp mode but there is like zero response at speed so I'm not feeling the road like I want.

Few questions:

What did you do about your ignition switch to get it to work with the newer one? Did you re-pin the connector?

For the firewall boot that goes around the shaft, how did you seal that off? I have a small exhaust leak and now its in my car, haha.

For the wiper switch, did you just wire it up and it started working? Mine is acting kinda wacky and I think I will have to adapt the Scion relay somehow.

MWP

Im using the RAV4 barrel & key.
Its all rewired.

I dont remember what i did with the boot... i think i just cut it short.

Front wipers just work. Switch/wiring setup is the same as the original.
Not sure about the rear wiper though, i dont have one.

bajallama

MWP":1c3c2sz8 said:
Im using the RAV4 barrel & key.
Its all rewired.

I dont remember what i did with the boot... i think i just cut it short.

Front wipers just work. Switch/wiring setup is the same as the original.
Not sure about the rear wiper though, i dont have one.

Okay, thanks. The 165 must have different wiring and wipers. The wires going to the ignition switch are are about 3 times larger than the ones for the Scion.

MWP

Yeah, thats no surprise.
As copper is expensive now and efficiency/weight is a big concern, they have done a lot to reduce power use and shrink the size of cables.
Ive used relays for everything, so the barrel never sees any big current in my car.
... but my wiring is very far from typical.

CSAlltrac

I really don't see the benefit. I could possibly see it if the gear from a sport oriented factory car was utilized but a Corolla has some pretty numb feedback. Electronic steering is pretty numb over all, even in the sport mindset. What's wrong with the hydraulic setup? Seams like a ton of work for not a huge gain.

MWP

No maintenance required... ever.
No stuffing around with hydraulic lines in the engine bay, saves a good 30mins when dropping an engine for example.
Power steering assistance & feedback levels can be tuned.

Yes, a Corolla, RAV4, etc may not be the best choice for a donor vehicle.
But they feel ordinary because they have been tuned that way... not because EPS is 'bad'.

If i could find a reasonably price '86/BRZ EPS unit i would have used that.
Reviews have said it has one of the best steering response/feel of any recent sports car.

bajallama

Ya, I am really happy with the conversion so far and will do it on anything I own in the future. Not only do you get the added benefits of no maintenance but I'm not surprised if you save at least 20+ lbs in weight. My 4th gen column weighed about the same if not more than the EPS column with the motor plus you get rid of all of those 20 year old leaky hydraulic lines.