Front LSD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

darthripley

BADNEW5":2ebdtvps said:
There is not enough room for a clutch type is my guess. The front diff has enough from for the sun and planetary gears only. Not so much to shove at least 3 friction discs and and a cone spring additionally on each side. I would be in complete shock is any clutch style LSD company said they could make it. I think the only way is a helical or gear type.

TRD made a clutch type diff for the front & TTE made them as well so it can be done, the cost is the only real drawback around $5k.

BADNEWS

darthripley":xzdw3x3z said:
BADNEW5":xzdw3x3z said:
There is not enough room for a clutch type is my guess. The front diff has enough from for the sun and planetary gears only. Not so much to shove at least 3 friction discs and and a cone spring additionally on each side. I would be in complete shock is any clutch style LSD company said they could make it. I think the only way is a helical or gear type.

TRD made a clutch type diff for the front & TTE made them as well so it can be done, the cost is the only real drawback around $5k.

The TRD was a combo front and center. They put one of the diffs in the VC location. Wasn't enough room for them to make a front by itself. They had to redesign everything.

I know nothing of the TTE front LSD. Any photos?

I just emailed TTE or as they are now called TMG (TOYOTA MOTORSPORT GmbH) about if they make a front diff and what it would take to get.

BADNEWS

Whoa!! That is far from being able to bolt into our transmission. They have their own bell housing plate so you can bolt on their specific transfer case. That is more far away than the TRD set. The TRD stuff at least uses the Toyota trans housings.

To me it looks like that runs the front diff where both the stock front and center diff is. Then where the VC unit is they run their own housings and have a hydraulic type center lsd. Looks to be big $$$ for the whole set. Differently is a clutch type front and rear diff though. I maybe wrong but that is what I am seeing from all those parts. Basically you get the whole system with their center diff setup and housings or nothing. I don't see a stock type front diff replacement.

BADNEWS

Just looked at it more. The ring gear is straight cut teeth on it. Which means you also have to upgrade to their dogbox gear set to run it on top of everything else.

athousandleaves

Allen thanks for the update and keeping on top of Scott for this.

Sorry to hear about your brother, totally understand why we didn't hear from you for a while.

Hopefully we hear something from someone soon before too much interest is lost in this!

alltracman78

I don't know if interest in this will ever be lost. I'm always interested. Price may keep me out because I can't swing 5G right now, but hopefully after I sell my grandfarthers house next year I'll have some more cash to throw at it.

However, I'm pretty sure I'd prefer a helical diff, especially now that I've got a car with a clutch type rear diff [Cressida]. I def prefer the TORSEN in the trac to the clutches.

Domspun

alltracman78":255mis5j said:
However, I'm pretty sure I'd prefer a helical diff, especially now that I've got a car with a clutch type rear diff [Cressida]. I def prefer the TORSEN in the trac to the clutches.

x2!

ALLensTRAC

Hey guys I went over to my buddies shop today and I got him harrassing Motovicity so I should be recieving an answer soon. I will write another email tonight and see what happens.

CMS-GT4

Maybe not. I am in contact with a potential lead. I will post more once they answer my questions. They know a lot about our boxes and have messed with TRD difs before, so there is hope.

CMS-GT4

Got a response. We will get more of my questions answered once his machinist returns.

i will get back to you in week or so when the machinist who made them is back from holidays

the front diffs were multi-plate with 2 different ramp angles. the breakaway torque and ramp angles could be varied depending on the application, so there is no such thing as one diff for all uses.

the last new one we had about 4 years ago was A$3200 from memory, but we would have to totally re-cost it, and the price will change based on quantity.

i cannot imagine a Toyota gearbox handling 800AWHP as were were busting them at half that value. even the Xtrac boxes were limited to about 500HP.

these diffs were successfully used in dozens or professional GpA rally cars here and the last one went into a S2000 prototype car. none of these cars made over 400hp, but thats not to say what the diff will handle. I will be able to calculate torque capacity if this inquiry progresses

RedCelicaTRD

They must beat the hell out of the gearbox if they were breaking consistently at 400awhp!

Also, will they only be making the diff, or are dog gearsets an option?

CMS-GT4

So far we are just discussing diffs. Not sure if they do gearsets, but there are some that already exist. I imagine this is still going to be a costly option for most, but it will be a more viable option than the 6k diff currently made.

EDIT: BTW I discovered them when I ran across this article they did on our gearboxes.
http://www.roadandtrack.net.au/images/s ... _short.pdf

CMS-GT4

The TTA clutch type diff I posted earlier. They also make an active center LSD. I think its close to the 15k range now. If this company make theirs again, it is clutch type. Seems that has been the only ones actually ever made for our cars so far.