HKS product history

sinerasis

Anyone know if there is some sort of documentation to the "history" to the HKS stuff? I know it's pretty standard stuff over in Japan, and since I have an older timer I was going to get the matching EVC from the same generation, but I can't seem to figure out a good way to look it up.

Basically I have an older timer (I believe it's the turbo timer 3 or 4) and wanted to get the boost controller that matches it. Either the EVC 3 or 4. Mainly because I've worked with them before and I think they're a good enough match for the time period of the car. If that makes sense...

Anyway... while I was trying to put the various timers in order, I realized I couldn't really find enough info about the older stuff.

(all these pictures were shamelessly stolen from around the internet)

1?
1_zps7b8c2c45.jpg

2?
1-2_zps0887b68d.jpg

Then they moved to a center oriented LCD and the multifunction-like setup...
Pretty sure this is 3:
3_zps01c6c7c5.gif

4:
4_zpsf27261cb.jpg

Then they did a redesign in there to update the look considerably, I believe this would be 5, and possibly 6:
5_zpsb1d3ce08.jpg

Then they split the display off and had a seperate control unit:
type_zps569b6ada.jpg

I think there was a 7 in here somewhere, but then they started calling it "Type 0/1" or whatever...

Sound about right? Am I missing something important? I think I have the 3, although I'd have to dig it out to make sure it's not a 4. The EVC is numbered similarly, however they go all the way up to 9. Do the numbers match up as easily as they appear to? Like the EVC 3 corrosponds to the Turbo Timer 3?

underscore

There's an older one you've missed, it has no display, only buttons. Once I find it again I'm sending it off to Ripley.

underscore

Herp da derp, I just realized that's the same one you had for #2, I just never realized it had a display hidden in there. 4 looks older than 3, but that might just be me.

carry on, nothing to see here >.>

sinerasis

As for the EVC... its much more complicated, at least from the bleachers...

Scramble Boost Controller (1?)
scramble_zps209cc37d.jpg

EVC 2?
2_zps54f08825.jpg

EVC 3?
32_zps2f6d84b3.jpg

EVC 4?
4_zps9f31ff8b.gif

5?
evc-ez_zpse0f48fda.jpg

Then real displays started showing up, and there are lots:
EC-HKS-45003-AK005pic2_zps1b3155ce.jpg

The one after this was a full color screen I believe...

sinerasis

underscore":2csm0s4z said:
Herp da derp, I just realized that's the same one you had for #2, I just never realized it had a display hidden in there. 4 looks older than 3, but that might just be me.

carry on, nothing to see here >.>
Yeah I did some searching and couldn't find anything without a display completely, but I'm not saying there isn't something.

Fairly sure I have 3 and 4 correct. Pretty sure the backlit LCD would have been later.

Meurz

The JDM numbers differ from the US numbers I think, never got that.
Your gen 5 was available as 'EZ' model which basically is the one you posted. The full bells and whistles one is this one with display as per the HKS history overview:

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/magazine/evc6/p1.html

Along with the second to last model, a basic EVC-S came one sale as well:

HKS-EVC-S-Display__63965_zoom.jpg

The last few models came in several special colour limited edition/anniversary styles as well:

20ixmoo.jpg

35th_evc.jpg

sinerasis

Awesome find... that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for in terms of the boost controllers. :notworthy:

mx6er2587

the EVC 4 was different in the US vs other countries. The US got the backlit LCD that you have labeled as 4. which is just a barely tweaked 3. The EVC 4 elsewhere in the world is a grey version of the limited edition black model Meurz posted. Its what I have in my car

Meurz is also right it came in an "EZ" form too which is just the controller without the display. Exact same part. The display just adds extra functionality. You can upgrade an EZ just by plugging in the display.

m8rg.jpg

Impreza555

I'd be really interested if anyone has a connection to HKS... I found an "older than time" HKS boost gauge from the a previous car, I'd be excited to see when it was made.