Alternator voltage?

Awesome-Trac

For the people who are running a voltage gauge how much volts is your alternator producing with accessories on and accessories off? Cause my car seems to dim out bad when I brake and the volts drop to 11.6v on my gauge and even with accessories off it drops to 12.7v
I have a ST165 all stock other then a HKS Bov, Apexi turbotimer and HID setup w/hella housing but even before all these were installed my Trac still had a major voltage draw. Is this a sign my tracs alternator is going?

jaydog82

It could be the alt or the 25yo wires. I have replaced both and I still have some voltage drop at idle. Loads off it can drop in the 12.5 range and loads on 11.5. So it might be normal for our cars, idk. One thing to remember is that our alt are not high amp output.

lumbercis

I have it too.. I've always wondered if old ground wires might be contributing? Anyone ever replaced their grouds with new OEM and/or used an aftermarket grounding kit?

I know grounding kits have a bad rep due to people claiming it adds power. But in this case I'm just interested in whether they'd help mitigate voltage drops.

Awesome-Trac

lumbercis":zw2pnu8q said:
I have it too.. I've always wondered if old ground wires might be contributing? Anyone ever replaced their grouds with new OEM and/or used an aftermarket grounding kit?

I know grounding kits have a bad rep due to people claiming it adds power. But in this case I'm just interested in whether they'd help mitigate voltage drops.

If I remember correctly someone else posted another thread after mine regarding the cleaning and rewiring of ground on a 165 but still had the same problem