never ending clutch questions

celicadude93

Been searching though all the post and topics since this week im going to attempt doing the clutch on one of my st185s (terrified). From what i gathered. Light weight fly wheels aren't worth it unless you race. And for a stage 1 clutch masters or exedy seem to be the most recommended. Any other up to date opinions or any tips to tackle this feat. Or is my information good enough. to go ahead and order parts and start ripping apart. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

celicadude93

Any brands you recommend? The chatter from light weight flywheels scares me since it caused the pressure plate on my daily driver to explode. Both were spec racing. Heard that's not the best brand

celicadude93

Wow that's light. How's the chatter? And how is it with with regular driving. What kind of clutch did you pair it with also

Corey

There is no chatter - I don't even know what that would sound like actually.

Clutch is silent. I'm using the ACT hd pressure plate with organic street disk.

Fantastic clutch. Very easy to drive. Before the act I was using an ORC single plate cerametalic. Now that made noise.

Terracar

Don't know what this chatter you are asking about. The only chatter I know of with clutches is when using plate clutches. I have had many lightweight f/w none chattered. The Jun U/L I have in the 'trac now never chattered.

Your pressure plate blew up because of the pressure plate, not the flywheel.

I recommend getting a little more clutch than you think you will need. I typically recommend a stage 2 for daily/street. They will last longer and handle any abuse as opposed to a stock/stage 1.

I personally love Clutchmasters, but be warned, they are like butter and harder than most other clutches to feel the sweet spot. I have a FX300 in my 'trac now.

I would recommend Fidanza for a flywheel.

Be sure to check the clutch specs to be sure the flywheel has the right step.

-Terracar

lumbercis

Exedy or Clutchmasters are brands that most people have had good success with. Never put anything "SPEC" on your car, ever; no matter how much money you think you'll save.

If street manners are a priority I wouldn't bother with a lwfw. The last puck clutch I used (Exedy stage 2 three-puck, so pretty aggressive) was paired with a Fidanza lwfw and it had shuddering/chatter when taking off from a stop. It never occurred to me that it might have been because of the flywheel and I can't say the clutch wouldn't have done that with a stock flywheel, but the car certainly would have been nicer to drive without that chatter. A less aggressive full-face or 6-puck clutch might do better with a lwfw than my old setup. I'd see what people who currently run those setups say.

celicadude93

Sweet, thanks guys all this information is coming in handy. Still undecided on if im gonna do the flywheel but for sure gonna do the stage 2 probably clutch masters since the exedy is a little more aggressive i guess. Ever since i put a supra fuel pump and New injectors and raised the boost it slips when i floor it