What should I expect? (100.000km / 62.000 mi)

NitroNitrous

Hello

I will probably buy a ST205 with around 100.000km, very well kept, with no problems whatsoever and with a brand new clutch. Can anyone tell me what should I expect to have to fix in the next, lets say, 25.000km? Timing belt, brakes, alternator, battery, superstrut?

Thanks!

underscore

It all depends on when any of that was last done. Odds are the timing belt might not have been done at 100k, but if it has a new clutch they might've been smart and done it as well. Battery has nothing to do with mileage.

NitroNitrous

Holy crap, the turbo rebuild and engine balance sounds serious. Is it that bad?
I will ask to the guy about the timing belt and so. BTW coilovers have been just replaced too.

quieter

just check the turbo for shaft play and it will give you an idea. make sure its not puffing blue smoke or white smoke and try to take a peek at the block to see if its sweating. rebuild is not that expensive so dont worry. balancing is 100-120$ and the rebuild kit is 100-150$. dont go buy the cheap ebay ones

NitroNitrous

Thanks a lot for this useful info!
Feel free to give some more advices if there's anything else you think I should know. :wink:

Texasnick

superstrut + brakes are going to be the big ones. Superstrut will be > $1,500 just for parts (2 Fig 8's, #1 & #2 control arms on both sides) and front brake rotors are going to be close to $400 for the pair (for blank OEM) once they get to your door.

To get a rough idea of how good the suspension is doing, when you drive the car go on and off throttle around corners and see if the car wants to wander.

100,000km shouldn't warrant a balance/rebuild if turbo boosts okay and doesn't puff any smoke.

It is HARD and EXPENSIVE to find parts for these cars. Not to mention they are not the easiest to work on.

Having the clutch already done is a good start. Check to see if they did any other work on the engine when they did the clutch.

NitroNitrous

Thanks! I know about the superstruts but I've read the average they last is 100.00 miles, not km... I will check it anyway, it was in my list. Whenever the brakes are worn that will be a perfect excuse to replace them with better ones :D

I know is not the cheapest and easier car to live with, but keep in mind I am not in America like most of you in this forum. I'm living in Italy, which is the place where they developped the official WRC and probably the second country in the world with more units of this car (only after Japan). Not to mention is one of the few places where you can get an original LHD nowadays, so I guess it should be easier to for me (hopefully).