Insanity-74s ST205 Rally Hybrid build

New Guy

Insanity-74":25en9qo1 said:
I did manage to secure this with a bit of bartering.

Photo0222.jpg

It'll be a long while before it gets onto the car, time to put it somewhere safe...and try not to forget about it :lol:

I have some TTE Style rally mirrors but i have already put them somewhere safe....and cant remember where :shrug:

Roll cage parts will be arriving soon so some of the more fun stuff can start soon 8)

I know this will sound incredibly noobish, but I'm more of an SV25 guy, so... What is this thing?

Insanity-74

there you go, told you it wasnt very exciting, sorry its a bit dark, but its in the attic.

Also, i picked up these at the weekend

hmmm shiny bits 8)

MWP

Oh right, it is just a big box :)

Is it made for a panel filter, or a will you fit a pod filter in there?

Insanity-74

Well into the strip, nearly all the POR15 has been removed, just the nigly bits left to do.

maybe ready to apply the Epoxy Mastic 121 next weekend all being well.

MWP

You should do some chassis stitch welding while you are there.
Would be a shame not to do it while its so clean.

Insanity-74

I could do the chassis welding route, but for two reasons, one, my welding isn't very good, and two, there is an art to chassis welding to get it right, It's easy to balls it up and ruin a good chassis....but mainly my welding isn't very good :lol:

Managed to put the bonnet catch back together after I dismantled it to get it zinc plated

I also got some of this

So I can make a mould of and replicate the rear high level brake light in clear plastic instead of the standard red, it's only practice as I will be filling in the standard high level brake light and rebuilding the trailing edge of the spoiler out of clear plastic and LEDs for a different type of brake light 8)

I pick up the BC coilovers on saturday, and another gt4 front bumper to use the small slot intake on the hybrid 202/205 bumper.

MWP

Insanity-74":tiz8u671 said:
I could do the chassis welding route, but for two reasons, one, my welding isn't very good, and two, there is an art to chassis welding to get it right, It's easy to balls it up and ruin a good chassis....but mainly my welding isn't very good :lol:

You'll be surprised how easy it actually is.
Its pretty damn impossible to stuff it up. Worst you can do is blow a few holes, and thats easy to fix.

Insanity-74

Well, not much being done today, spent a large portion of the day driving around the country picking up bits n pieces.

Did pick up these though :)

the obligatory suspension in a box shot....some nice BC coilovers

The castings are in the garage currently painted in grey self etching primer.

I picked up yet another GT4 front bumper to finish off the SS4 front bumper.....that will be 3 GT4 front bumpers that have bitten the dust thanks to me :D....oh well.

Tomorrow, hopefully I will complete the cleaning off of the bottom of the car so I can do the final derust and clean ready for applying the paint next weekend.

Insanity-74

Well finally got to apply some paint instead of stripping it off.

still some stripping to do in the engine bay area, but I have to get this painted before the weather gets too cold.....paint dosent like being applied in the cold....paints a wuss :lol: :lol: :lol:

After another coat of epoxy mastic, I will apply some seam sealer in a few areas, then some POR high build tie coat primer as the epoxy mastic has load of brush marks, it will then get a smoothing rub down before I apply some POR15 flex coat for a silky smooth glossy finish :thumbsup:

spitfiremk16

Looking good sir! Im currently working on the same thing with my st185. Guesstimating i have well over 100 hours getting every little last bit of the factory undercoating off. Well worth it though. Looks like all the hard work is paying off. Keep the pics coming!

MWP

So why the epoxy mastic under POR15?
POR15 on steel didnt work well enough for you last time?

IMO trying to get a gloss finish under a car is pointless (especially with POR15 as it looses its black gloss finish as it ages).
Heavy course tar based body sealer all the way for me! Deadens noise and protects against rock hits, cracking, etc better than any paint will.

Insanity-74

MWP":3khycxa8 said:
So why the epoxy mastic under POR15?
POR15 on steel didnt work well enough for you last time?

IMO trying to get a gloss finish under a car is pointless (especially with POR15 as it looses its black gloss finish as it ages).
Heavy course tar based body sealer all the way for me! Deadens noise and protects against rock hits, cracking, etc better than any paint will.

Well, the POR15 didnt stick very well to the bare metal but it does have a nice finish, the POR15 top coat should last (this is different to the rust preventative POR15 which ages with exposure to UV light). The epoxy mastic was made to paint oil rig legs so its pretty resistant to knocks and came top in Car Restorer Magazine 3 year rust test. IMO heavy tar based sealers are horrible, and if they do get penetrated than you can see the development of rust under it, although you can get a clear rubberised spray which I am thinking about. just because you cant see the bottom of the car dosent mean it dosent have to look as good as the top of the car