Need Clarification on st205 rear sub frame on ST185

Humble1

I do know the rear sub frame and differential bolt to st185 with no modification.
My question is, will all my stock st185 Arms, driveshaft, ect, mount up to st205 sub frame or do i have to use arms, hubs, ect. from st205?

phattyduck

If you use the ST205 arms, you can add 30mm/1.2" to each side in track. Fills out the wheel wells nicely and then you don't need to use spacers to make wheels look good. It adds a bunch of camber though, so you have to take care of that...

But... all the ST185 parts bolt directly to the ST205 subframe (the subframe itself is actually the same part number and the Torsen diff is the same as the optional ST185 part).

-Charlie

PS. I even have all ST205 rear parts on my Camry Alltrac... and yes, it all just bolts in.

phattyduck

801Alltrac":3t68kdm2 said:
Could it work on 165?
Same deal as the ST185.

Edit, to expand on my statement above, the rear subframe is the same part number for the ST165, ST185, ST205 and SV25 (Camry Alltrac), thus all the parts that attach to it are also compatible.

-Charlie

aus jd 2703

curiosity question how different are 205 hubs? have been looking for 205 arms and hubs as I have been told the hubs fix the camber issue?
my plan would be to buy 205 hubs arms and cv's and convert to 5x114 while im pulling the rear out. but use the 185 torsen and subframe.

alltracman78

The hub has nothing to do with the camber. It simply holds the wheel and rotates in the wheel bearing. It also has a slightly larger centric than the 185 [so the 185 rotors won't fit without shaving a tiny bit].
The knuckle/spindle is the same. But the brake dust shield is larger to fit the larger 205 rotor.
AFAIK the "camber issue" is because the top of the strut isn't pushed out like the knuckle is by the longer arms.
But you can adjust a small amount of camber with the stock bolts, and if you want more either round out the holes in the strut, buy camber plates for the strut mount or buy crash bolts.

Tecker185

To fix the camber issue you have to run st205 struts. That's what I'm running in my car now. Pretty much works out to not need spacers. I've got a complete st205 subframe, arms, diff, knuckles, brakes and struts on my car now all bolt on.

CMS-GT4

Interesting to learn that the 205 struts are different. That is useful for sorting out the camber.

aus jd 2703

im very curious to see proof the struts are different as I know for a fact the upper mounts are the same distance apart, so it has to be different in the hubs or in the struts which I feel is highly unlikely.

phattyduck

Hubs and knuckles are the same as far as geometry. The tabs on the strut that bolt to the knuckle are different on the ST205 compared to the 165/185 - they are a different angle.

I just needed to use two camber bolts to get back around 1* on both sides for my Alltrac. The longer ST205 arms add about 30mm to each side. Oh, and make sure you use the longer ST205 rear axles too. :)

Another fun side effect is that the Whiteline swaybar clears the brake line brackets on Tein SS coilovers...

-Charlie