ST205 Tranny Leak

GT4_DRED

So over the last few months, I've had this puddling of oil on the top of my gearbox. I would clean it up and after a few hard drives, it would return. I initially thought it was a leak from the dizzy, so I checked and all was well there (I replaced the seal as well). There is no where else that the oil could be coming from, as there are no oil lines on that side of the motor. The only other place it can be coming from is the vent port at the top of the box. I notice there is some oil residue on it, and since oil only flows downhill... I haven't checked to see if the box was over filled, but I'm suspecting it's only coming out when I run the car really hard. Has anyone else ever had a similar issue with oil coming out of that port :shrug:

You can see where it's puddling
2013-10-03_21-13-15_851.jpg

A shot of the residue below the vent cap.
2013-10-03_21-13-21_508.jpg

GT4_DRED

So I cleaned the tranny up and made an oil collector just below the breather cap. Took the car out for a 30 minute drive and got on it quite a bit. Sure enough, the bag collected the oil (less than an ounce), instead if it puddling on the tranny. So that confirms where the leak is coming from; now to figure out why :shrug: .BTW.. The tranny sounds perfectly fine and shifts in/out of all gears smoothly. Definately gonna chk the fluid level before anything else!

GT4_DRED

Awesome-Trac":3pxdjtg0 said:
Nope didn't have a chance just cleaning it from time to time btw do you smell burning oil when you drive?

There's a very slight smell, but I assumed it was from the vent pipe on top of the valve cover; no oil from the vc though..

phattyduck

You can remove the breather and see if anything looks odd in there. Is any oil leaking out of the shifter hole? If oil was getting up to the vent, it might be coming out there too.

Let us know what you find out when you check fluid levels...

-Charlie

GT4_DRED

phattyduck":3ganjt3j said:
You can remove the breather and see if anything looks odd in there. Is any oil leaking out of the shifter hole? If oil was getting up to the vent, it might be coming out there too.

Let us know what you find out when you check fluid levels...

-Charlie
So I've looked through the ST205 and ST185 manuals and cant find info on checking the fluid levels :shrug: . I removed the breather; oil looks/smells very clean and no oil leaking from the shifter assembly. Does anyone know where I can find info on checking the tranny fluid level? TIA..

phattyduck

Open the fill plug with the car on level ground. If the fluid is at the bottom of the fill plug, you are good.

Maybe your fluid level is too high? (filled with the front end jacked up or something)

-Charlie

GT4_DRED

phattyduck":fo1ypd7r said:
Open the fill plug with the car on level ground. If the fluid is at the bottom of the fill plug, you are good.

Maybe your fluid level is too high? (filled with the front end jacked up or something)

-Charlie

Thanks!

GT4_DRED

klue":1p8kwbv4 said:
your fluid level has got to be to high. Do you run a cooler as well?
Bingo! Pulled the fill bolt (car flat) and collected 1.5 quarts of gear oil before it finally stopped. I went ahead and pulled the drain bolt to drain the rest, but yeah, just a little over 7 quarts total :doh: . The oil was very clean, but not knowing what type it is or the mileage, I feel better just refilling it. Gonna give the Valvoline 80w90 a try and might as well re-fill the pumpkin as well. Thanks for the help guys!