185 intake question

underscore

hey guys, I'm fiddling around with the MAF placement with a bunch of couplers trying to figure out a way to make my larger AEM filter work. I know on the stock intake there are two lines running from the motor into the intake pre-turbo, one in the rubber coupler connected to the MAF, and one in the metal pipe between the two couplers. The lines are different sizes, but will I run into problems if I Y these together and tie them into the intake with a single connection? Or if I extend the lines slightly?

I know the stock setup has the lines running downhill to the intake so I'm a little worried about having the line run lower than where it enters the piping in case oil collects down there and suddenly gets pulled into the engine all at once (but I'm assuming a catch can would protect me from that?)

brutekiller787

ideally, you would not want these together at all. the smaller one goes into the IACV as fresh air used to let the car idle. the other goes to the valve cover as a breather fitting. you wouldn't want crappy valve cover air to be used to idle the car would you?

you want your IACV hose upsteam of the pcv hose, ideally.

l0ch0w

If you build yourself a catch can on the PCV line, just be sure that the bottom of the can is the lowest point of the system. But agreed with brute, just be sure to put the IACV hose upstream of the PCV one. Also try and get the PCV inlet to the intake as close to the turbo as possible.

underscore

Are you guys sure about that? I've got the bigger one, from the back-ish of the engine, going into the rubber elbow just after the MAF. The smaller one, from under the IC near the front of the engine, is going to the metal elbow right before the turbo, and has a little angled tube going into the intake system kinda like those catch can to exhaust systems. So with the stock setup, the one you're calling the IACV line is downstream from the PCV.

brutekiller787

And thats why our iacv's go early. Just think about it. Just because toyota did it from the factory doesnt mean its the best way.

I Have my pcv going into the intake on the same coupler as the turbo connects. My iacv input it upstream of that, past an s pipe. The only way my iacv will see anything but clean air is if my entire charge piping fills with oil. Its just smarter.

underscore

Borrowing pictures from the engine bay thread as these are the best I could find:

maxaud":3v2qtpld said:
a little dirty. Stock as far as I know :)
DSCF1039.jpg

DSCF1040.jpg

The second pic shows the hose coming from somewhere on the rear of the engine and connecting to the coupler that comes right off the MAF, downstream from that you can see the other hose between the radiator hose and the first intake elbow, that one connects to the metal elbow that goes between the two rubber couplers.

Right now I'm getting oil in my intake right where the downstream hose comes in. If that goes to my IACV, why do I have oil coming out of it? More importantly, how do I fix whatever is causing oil to come out of it?

zblu81

the hose closest to the turbo is the PCV hose, It goes to the Valve cover. The hose closest to the AFM is the Idle Air hose. It goes to the Idle Air Control Valve. Toyota has it right.

underscore

That's what I thought, I added a catch can to the PCV line, it felt silly adding so much line to something that was previous so short lol