Rebuilding turbo, which turbo do I have?

Theman88b

My turbo was blowing a lot of oil so I decided to rebuild it. I just took apart the cartridge and was going to order the ct20/26 rebuild kit but some of the parts do not look right. Or I could be missing some out of my turbo? I am mainly concerned that I do not have 2 journal bearings. The thrust spacer is a bit different as well, has no oil deflector. I am a bit confused here so any help would be great. The turbo fits into a 6 bolt twin entry exhaust housing but the compressor side is much bigger than a ct26.
1385472_655800147784148_959169625_n.jpg

1378602_655800171117479_1246597407_n.jpg

Landon

how many journal bearings am I seeing? you should have two brass bearings and then a wide hollow spacer in between (probably forgetting the technical term for this..) It looks to me like you're missing a bearing if thats all you have. I'll see if I can find the pic of my ct26 torn apart.

Theman88b

I found the other bearing on the floor...must have fallen out when I took it apart. So now the bearing situation is good but still the thrust spacer(number 9 in diagram) does not look right to me. It is suppose to have a oil deflector, correct(part between 6 and 7 in diagram)? Is it even necessary? Also number 8 in the diagram doesn't look like it is in the kit.
Here is a diagram of the ct20/26:
standardct26.jpg

Here is a picture of the kit:
$T2eC16dHJG!E9nm3rIkVBRIQ1zsWpQ~~60_35.JPG

Landon

When it comes to the turbo, I wouldn't readily say something is just not needed with a turbo. The deflector should be there, or else it doesn't exist on your specific model.

Theman88b

Is it possible to put a ct20b compressor on a ct26 cartridge? I say that because the compressor housing just says Toyota. Maybe I can just take the compressor housing and wheel and put it on my ct26?

Landon

I'm not sure on that. someone who has more experience with the ct20 will have to chime in. Where did you buy the rebuild and for which specific turbo? sometimes the kit doesn't come with everything the turbo needs to have replaced, but if you're missing pieces already then maybe someone has already been there and thats your problem to begin with.

Landon

Oil deflector snaps into place into part #9 if I'm not mistaken. This is necessary to keep too much oil from pushing against the oil ring on that side I would assume. It kinda looks like someone took it out and didn't put it back.

Theman88b

Yeah I am doing some more searching and some kits come with the oil deflector and some do not. Possibly this is why the turbo failed prematurely, so I definitely want it in there. Part number 8 is still not included in these kits, looks like it is pressed in to number 9. Anywhere in particular I could source this? The kits I found were on eBay mostly. Thanks for all of your assistance.

Landon

For sure. The deflector will probably be part of the thrust washer. Your best bet is going to be OEM most likely. How to find a part number, I'm not sure. It shouldn't matter the quality, as long as its there. So an ebay kit may be ok.