Spark Plugs and Wires ST185

ishmael.7

Hello,
I was searching ebay for the stock spark plugs and I found BKR6EP8 I found a forum that just said BKR6 or BKR6EP but the ones I found have an 8 at the end. I am not familiar with heat range. My car is completely stock. I do want to upgrade it in the future but not right now. I am not sure when the spark plugs have been changed so I want to change them along with NGK spark plug wires.

These are the two links I found, can anyone please tell me if these are ok. Also what is the torque specifications for the spark plugs and do they have to be pre gapped or no?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pcs-NGK-Laser ... 27&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-3SGTE-TU ... 0d&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-95-TOYOTA-MR ... f5&vxp=mtr

Or do you guys have any other suggestions links? Thank You

warracer

ishmael.7

That is good you told me that. Mine is a 1991. Is the vpower spark plug the cooper ones? Do you know what is the torque specs when installing the spark plugs. Thank you

Meenya

~ 13 lbs don't over torque it:)
And you should change those plugs fairly often...I change them every oil change.

ishmael.7

If I get BKR6E v-power ones, would I still need to change them every 3-5k miles. I thought spark plugs lasted around 40k miles. As for instructions, is it just taking off the intercooler, and then the plugs and the spark plugs. I was looking at the intercooler to take it off, is there any special tricks or do's and don'ts. Do I have to pre-gap the spark plugs for the v-power ones. What is bad about the iridium spark plugs.

ishmael.7

I was on the NGK website and it says the NGK Iridium plugs exceed the vehicles specs and the v-power may not even meet the specs. They are pretty expensive though. You guys know a lot more than I do, I just want to know why this spark plugs are not better than the v-power ones.

Nitro_Alltrac

I have the iridiums in mine and have run the for probably 10K miles or more. No problem at all. I had them out last July and checked them. They were fine.

I've run the coppers too with no issue. Either will work. It's up to you which you want to you.

Meenya

I'm 99% sure if you buy OEM ones (platinum I believe) they are good for ~ 60K miles as per maintenance schedule.
The BKR6E recommended above are 1 step colder and therefore safer to run when you run higher boost and drive harder in general.
They can be found under $3 each and therefore pretty cheap maintenance imho.

ishmael.7

Thank you all for all of the information. Is the distributor cap and rotor the same from 90-93 or is it different for 90-91 also?

FC Zach

FC Zach":qxx4xfh5 said:
I'm iridium as well, no complaints so far.

I got these from a local Advance Auto:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...3-p?navigationPath=L1*14923|L2*15034|L3*16071

My opinion of using iridium plugs has changed, I've had problems on two different occasions, Denso and most recently NGK. Both occasions my car failed to start in below freezing temperatures. It took me a while to diagnose the problem with the first set and that's because I would have never expected them to be defective after having just replaced them. .

The first incident happened at work, not being able to get it going I left it there and tried again later that night when I returned and still no start! Feeling pretty frustrated and expecting the worse since I didn't suspect the plugs to be faulty, I assumed it was something bad and had it towed home the next day.

Taking a shot in the dark, just to try something, I put the used plugs from when I got the car back in and luckily for me it fired right up :)

Not wanting to keep those plugs in the car I purchased a different set but this time NGKs. . . Was all fine and good till yesterday morning when the same thing happened. Was pretty frustrated but not as much as before except for the part where I walked for an hour in the cold to get home. I grabbed the same used plugs as before and walked my happy butt back to work armed with old plugs and wrenches. . . Changed them out, while removing the NGKs I could smell raw fuel and saw they were still wet, just like the Densos.

The car fired right up with the old plugs and I intentionally left them in place to use as a control to test this morning. . . Well it fired right up this am and has led me to the conclusion that iridium plugs suck and will leave me stranded!

My car is stock except for a k&n filter, downpipe and exhaust.

lumbercis

^ Are you running colder plugs than stock?

I've run nothing but iridiums or platinums and not had a problem, but I don't run colder plugs than stock and don't live in as harsh a climate as you do. You might actually want to run warmer plugs if you live in an extreme climate.

If you walk into Toyota and ask for plugs they'll sell you either Iridium or Platinum. I'd be more wary of aftermarket plug wires. Do a search on mr2oc for plug wire related threads. It seems most people have had the best experience with OEM wires.

J

FC Zach

I purchased whatever pulled up for the application at the store so the heat range should be factory.

I'm using NGK direct replacement wires.

I bought platinum plugs to replace the used plugs currently in the car now!

gt4tified

ishmael.7":zce9mu4q said:
Thank You. I just ordered the Magnecor wires. I will buy the iridium spark plugs soon.

Those are some of the better wires out there. The gurus say that OEM wires are still by far the best. I would put the Magnecor above the NGK simply bscause they are insulated better and therefore a bit tougher.

ishmael.7

I used the Magnecor wires and they work perfect. They were really expensive though, but my car seems to be running a lot better now. So I dont know if it was the wires or the spark plugs that helped or both :D