bajallama's ST165

bajallama

My Blog where I will be updating the progress of the car:

http://www.projectz61.com

Here's a little background:

I've been into cars for over 10 years and have progressed in my knowledge and ability to work and drive them. When I was in High School I built a Baja Bug from a stock beetle, lifted it, cut it up, rebuilt the engine and bored it out. After that I picked up and AE86 and swapped in a 3SGTE. It was quite a challenge as it needed to be Front engine, RWD. I did the whole drifting thing with it and it broke a bunch. Had that car for about 4 years than sold it to buy a KP61. Bought a shell off my friend and I did 4AGE swap from an AE86 into it. I did a full blown setup, suspension and everything. It was a blast to drive, I gave M3's and Subbie's a run for their money with only 150hp. And cops never gave a damn about it cause it was so ugly and so $hitty. Earlier this year, I got to race RallyCross in $600 AE92 GTS. I loved it and the series is so small and tight, nothing like drifting which has lost its roots I think. There was no way I could compete competitively in drifting with the KP (although I did take it to the track and drifted it quite a bit) without a monster motor swap which would ruin the spirit of the chassis. So rally the KP? Yes! So lets see what class I'd be put in....MOD 2WD, ugh. Compete against full on buggies and trucks? Ya, the car is too rare to be replacing fenders and quarter panels every race. So in June, I finished my degree in Mechanical Engineering. For my senior project I did a FSAE Formula Car, and we competed in Lincoln Nebraska against all the other schools in the Western US. Loved the racing, did pretty good too except for using a stupid dinosaur KTM engine.

Forward to the ST165...
Always loved this car, way back from the Grand Turismo 2 days on PS1. I used to see one sitting on the street in my hometown just rotting away. Sat in the same spot for like 8 years. Left numerous notes on the car to buy it, but no response. And get this, it was a rare white IMSO ST165 also. Clean too. One year I see it at TORQ and found out the guy pretty much gave it away. Guy who owns it is probably on this board too.

I saw the one show up on Club4AG and just couldn't pass it up. Bought it, got it running and put the KP up for sale. Sold the KP and that's where I am now. A quick car with blown suspension that weighs almost twice what my previous car does and pretty much a clean slate.

Here's what I got now:

Current Modifications:

Unknown 2.5" exhaust
KO Downpipe
ST205 TMIC
HKS Air Filter
Odyssey Battery
17x8 Rota Torque's
PLX Wideband
Ground Control Rear Coilovers

DSC_1102.jpg

DSC_1099.jpg

DSC_1097.jpg

5900160.jpeg

bajallama

So now that's out of the way, this is my current project while I'm saving up for coilovers.

I am building an Arduino Boost gauge with resettable peak and hold. Total cost is around $80 with the Arduino, LCD, button and MAP sensor. So far it's turning out pretty neat. This is just the basis of something magical though. From here I will be programming in a Turbo Timer, IC water pump controller and maybe some other things too. Depending on how many I/O ports I have left, a Water/Meth injection control might be in the mix also, but might buy a seperate Arduino for that (at $25 each, why not)

DSC_1103.jpg

DSC_1104.jpg

DSC_1105.jpg

DSC_1106.jpg

DSC_1108.jpg

DSC_1112.jpg

DSC_1113.jpg

underscore

Cool project! I'd love to build a guage system using an Arduino or Rasberry Pi hooked to an LCD but I've never gotten around to it.

88st165

Nice post! You have done some pretty cool swaps. Can't wait to see what you do with the 165. Looks like you have a pretty clean one there as well.

I also have done FSAE when I attended UIC. It was a great experience, basically the culmination of my college experience. Learned more building that car than anything in the classroom. Did it for 3 cycle builds 09-11 but only competed at MIS.

That Arduino project is pretty awesome. Keep it up!

bajallama

Ya I volunteered the year before and I'm helping this year's team out with their setup. I was the engine team lead and man did I learn more than I ever thought I would. We ran a single cylinder and it was a headache and a half. Vibrations killed the chassis and killed the engine. Every bolt had to be safety wired with Loctite.

I'll have a full instructional on my website once It's finish so you guys can build your own or modify it or whatever.

bajallama

Thanks!

Here is the boost gauge installed and button placed down by the E-Brake. I need to work out some bugs with the screen refresh but so far it's looking good.

DSC_1114.jpg

DSC_1115.jpg

DSC_1116.jpg

DSC_1120.jpg

bajallama

I'm not sure, it's not the factory one? It fits perfect in the alotted hole, it maybe from a GTS as the previous owner replaced the seats with GTS ones and they suck because they don't recline up that far so I'm always driving like a G.

killemalltrac

Maybe it is the factory one.... Mine is leather so I guess I thought they all were. I like that boost gauge. Loos awesome :) I need to look into a different heat exchanger since I am using the 165 one with the 205 intercooler. I never thought of a refrigerator one!!

bajallama

Ya, I'm not sure if you can find these just anywhere, there was a pile of them at the scrapyard, if anyone is interested I wouldn't mind go picking up some for people, there was a huge pile of them there, and they are super thick. Oh yea nd although the Harbor Freight pump is cheap, its kinda noisy! I think its due to the impeller design to help with high pressure systems ~50 psi. The intercooler is very low pressure (I'm guessing maybe around 5 psi at the entrance of the HE, mostly just due to head loss, etc.) so a standard water pump impeller would work nicely.

bajallama

It's similar but not the same. I had an AE86 and it's not like that. It fits in the hole and the lever pretty good so it has to be a factory part I'm guessing.

warracer

Arduino yeah, endless possibilities with these :D ! Very very cool project props for going DIY way

I thought about doing an all-function (boost,oil,water temp, etc etc) using a raspberry pi so it would be running AndroidPi on a very powerful ARM processor running on a small touch screen display with dash command...

underscore

warracer":2dbpvsud said:
I thought about doing an all-function (boost,oil,water temp, etc etc) using a raspberry pi so it would be running AndroidPi on a very powerful ARM processor running on a small touch screen display with dash command...

I've been wanting to do that too, sadly it's way down the list of projects I've got on the go.