St165 awd suspension question?

chevyok06

Just bought an 88 awd turbo Celica. Super happy with it but it's really low right now. To pass safety I need it back to stock or close. My question is, is the awd suspension the same as say a 88gt? If not any one got any recommendations on good suspension that won't cost an arm and a leg.

sinerasis

Not the same. Although I think GT-S suspension will get you past an inspection, it's just not designed for the extra weight so it's probably not a good long term solution.

How is the car lowered? Maybe you're lucky and it's adjustable?

chevyok06

Pretty sure there just drop Springs. I wasnt looking to put the gt suspecting itself on just use the gt as a search parameter online since most websites don't have awd Celica as an option

sinerasis

Gotcha. Others will chime in I'm sure, but I believe you need GT-S as opposed to GT. I think the GT-S stuff will fit although its not designed for the weight. I don't think the GT stuff will work at all.

Overtriped

I wouldn't bother with Any other system than what is made for an Alltrac, It would be a waste of time and money, im sure you would regret it.
Im going though the same thing right now.
I sourced Used parts.
KYB offers struts, and there are many many different manufactures of springs, stock, drop, or lift.
Koni also sells struts, so does NAPA.
KYB is by far the cheapest option.
Id start searching on the for sale section for a 165 or 185 part out, either system will work. The 185 stuff needs to be modified to work, but will actually set higher than stock and it is beefier.
I also have a 185, and im ordering a set of the BR series coilovers, I think eventually my 185 stuff will get transferred onto the 165.

Or just register your car as an antique and don't worry about inspections. :) good luck !!

underscore

I think the 165/185 rears are the same, but the fronts are different. The fronts should be the same between the 165 and 162 though, so a hodge podge of parts might be able to work.

alltrac7935

are you looking for struts or shocks for your st165?
i ordered B and G online from IRP B&G S2 Sport Springs (92.1.016)
Then i ordered front kyb stock oem replacment from THmotorsports KYB GR-2 / Excel-G Gas Shocks (365064)
Then the matching KYB rear struts from http://www.fensport.co.uk/

im doing this right now.. i was wondering do I need to buy new bushings or new boots or anything eles to fit this suspension? This is my first time installing suspension on any car.