BRD st185 hoping for 400bhp now mapped at 397bhp 370ft/lbs

mixer72

the Beast is getting a lighter rear end

took the rear bumper off and you have a bloody big steel bar hanging over the rear end

so I took it of

then rear fit the bump without any of the heavy steel

job done and now with a lighter rear end

mixer72

all so starting to make my polly rear diff mount

first polly rear diff mount made

it will have a thoroughly testing on the Beast

polly bush made just goto paint it now then fit it to the Beast

mixer72

all so im just started to make 2.5" throttle body plats for the 185, this will help if you doing FMINC set up as it means you can use 2.5" pipe work

sinerasis

lol. I totally dig your project... but I had to laugh at your description of removing the bumper... you took the cover off and ripped out the actual bumper (the "bloody big steel bar"). The cover doesn't do anything other than make the car look pretty, that steel bar saves your life. I know it doesn't matter as much to you since you're putting a cage in, but that's kind of an important distinction. People that aren't building caged track cars should definitely leave that bloody steel bar in there. What would normally be a small accident requiring a new bumper cover could easily total the car out without a real bumper in there.

mixer72

yes a agree with you for a road car but what you can do to make the car lighter on the rear end is swop the stock metal bumper for a RC or CS bumper as it is a single skin bar in stead of a double skin

4rsnduction

sinerasis":2r8q3qha said:
What would normally be a small accident requiring a new bumper cover could easily total the car out without a real bumper in there.

Old generation car.....fuel tank under boot.
Rear end accident with no metal reinforcing bar could lead to massive fireball on impact.

mixer72

As i said not for a road car. Mine is used on track. Ane if you have ever seen crash testing of car when in the rear then you will know the it is nerly inpossable to to set on fire in a crash you can fire a bullet into a fuel tank and it will not set fire.

celicadude93

love the way your project is coming along man! really like the carbon fiber trim around the hvac controls. never seen that before. It looks good

sinerasis

I didn't even think about the gas tank. Are you using a fuel cell mixer? I'd be surprised if they let you on a track with the bumper removed and the factory fuel tank.

I love your thread by the way, tons of pictures! :)

underscore

As long as the tank is outside of the cabin it should be okay. It would make a huge mess and likely light on fire if the rear end was impacted, but at least it'd be outside of the car.

mixer72

thanks for all the comments :) all car’s a tested for rear end crash’s to see what will happen in every event, the chances of a rear crash making the fuel tank set on fire are very remote, like I said you can shoot at a tank full of fuel and it will not sot on fire, I’m still using the stock fuel tank at the moment as to have the fuel in the car needs a lot of work, you have to have it all sealed in a fire proof sell, and have all the fuel lines running in braded Teflon pipe which is not cheap, all so there is nothing in any race regs to say you can’t run without a rear bumper, my car has to go throw msa scrutineering ever time I go on track to make shore it is safe and passes every time, and if you’re worried about the car being totalled then you can say that about the front end as well as the RC or CS front bumper is just a sill bit of aluminium bar witch in any impacted will just fold up and this is a stock set up from manufacture all so most newer car's don't even have any steel bumper in them at all it all plastic and foam so you could say you could have the same problem with any car on the road

MWP

Its interesting what youve done with the cage / rear subframe mount locations.
I know its difficult to feel, but do you think its made a difference?

mixer72

been some time since I did an update
Been doing a bit of work to the Beast and think I have found out why im was still getting a bit of knocking from the rear and felt a bit lose on the rear end even with the poly diff munt fitted, took the diff subframe hanger out and as you can see the bushes have well and truly gone ;( so will be changing them for some nice BRD race bushes :) and as I was there I have all ready fitted the BRD ally diff mount ready :) But this just shows how important it is to replace 20+ year old bushes.

BRD ally diff mount all in ready

all powder coated ready to fit back in :)