88 alltrac

chevyok06

Looking at buying an alltrac I posted in the new guy section for specs. But I was wondering if any one had a break down of how much it will cost to get the third gear synchronizer replaced. In only asking because Hawaii is a little steep on all prices. So how much parts and labor should I expect? Thanks.

88gt4DE

Gonna be very pricey to pull it and do that. I would imagine it would be between 2 and 3 grand at least ...

Rick89GTS

Cheaper, faster and probably easier to buy another tranny or upgrade to the 185/205 tranny. The 205 tranny is not a bolt-in though.

chevyok06

I think I have a 185 engine. Lol. Either way is a 185 trans bolt on to 165 engine? Also do they make a short throw kit.

chevyok06

I'm thinking about draining the transmission and trying a new fluid any suggestion on what works best to quiet down the synchronizer?

Overtriped

Some pull the trans while its in the car, if you want to get a 205 trans you have to swap over your old speed sensor and the mounts. not really a big deal. Where you are it might be cheaper just to buy one directly from Japan. If your taking all that apart be sure to resurface the flywheel and replace the clutch, and release bearing.

Rick89GTS

^Hey Overtriped, if you use the 205 tranny with a 165, do you have to mod the front cv axles or can you use the stock 165 axles??

___Scott___

chevyok06

I just paid to have my transmission flushed at a local lube shop. They also had Lucas 75-90 in Stock so I got that. It already sounds better. I can cruise and never hear and get a quick little grind if I hammer into third. I have read that most people see a little results immediately and it gets better over time with new fluids. So I am optimistic at this point and hoping at this point that I have similar results and it gets better off time like others have. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. This car is awesome btw

chevyok06

Just about a week out it shifts allot smoother in every day driving I can go all day with no grind. If I'm making a Decent pull how ever she grinds when I grab third. But this thing is silly fast. Is it normal to break 100 mph in third in these things?

UtahSleeper

chevyok06":3pe6ja75 said:
I think I have a 185 engine. Lol. Either way is a 185 trans bolt on to 165 engine? Also do they make a short throw kit.

Yes and yes, but not sure on the cost for a short throw. I just know I have seen them.......unless I am mistaking for the fwd version......

chevyok06

On my way back from training can't wait to get back to my Celica any thoughts on being able to break 100 in 3rd also what will it take to hit 350 hp.

88gt4DE

I can see the 100 in 3rd ... however I haven't been much over that in mine but the way these things are geared I say that's about right ...

killemalltrac

Rick89GTS":3tctz6vq said:
^Hey Overtriped, if you use the 205 tranny with a 165, do you have to mod the front cv axles or can you use the stock 165 axles??
You can just use the 165 axles. The 205 ones are too long. you can also stick with your 165 shifter cables and they will mount into the 205 shifter cable bracket attached to the tranny. And don't forget the speed sensor.