CT26 JDM VS CT20B

toddy2

Hi,
My Celica st185(Carlso Sainz) has today a ct26 ceramic from a japanese car. We changed from a ct26(European), and the difference is noticeable. But we change the exhaust when the turbo went out so now we have 3" all the way, and some of the gain i power shuld be related to this.
I would like to know if anyone has experience with this two turboes. Would it bee an upgrade to change from ct26 JDM to a ct20b from st205? My engine is stock. No modifications, except exhaust.

Can I expect some gain in power if I change to a ct20b?

toddy2

Thank you for the Quick reply!
I'm also thinking that much of the gain relates to exhaust.
But if we should guess some figures. What hp gain could be expected going from ct26 to ct20b?

Well.... that gets very complex. Just changing to a ct20b you will not be able to realize the potential of the turbo without further modifications, mainly fuel related. The stock fuel system is not designed to flow for what the ct20b is capable of. You can however run a low boost setting (as per stock)and benefit from faster spool and having a turbo that maintains boost through the whole rpm range. Going for anymore than that and your looking at a whole series of modifications in order to support more boost.

underscore

If you had gains going from a CS turbo to a JDM turbo you had problems with your old setup. CT20b > CS/RC CT26 > Base CT26 IIRC.

toddy2

Thank you for the answers guys!
I don`t know about any issues with the old setup. We only changed the turbo, and the "old" one seems find. No leaks or worn bearings.
But as CtechBlueDragon wrote i think a lot of the gain has to do with 3" all the way. We have removed cat and placed it under the car to get heat away from engine.
I have seen dyno chart that shows huge gain in power just buy letting the engine breath better. I`m talkin about 20-45% gain.
So after feedback in this tread I think I will stay with the CT26. I have no intension on doing big changes to the engine. I would like to keep my car as stock as possible. And CT20b I think can be called stock. :)

Cheers

underscore

Yeah the 3" exhaust will make a huge difference, chances are your stock downpipe/cat was fairly clogged after all these years. I think a CT20b is closer to the CS turbo than a base CT26 anyways so I'd say you're on the right track :)

Jeebus

Sorry to threadjack, but I'm in the same predicament.

I've got a stock ST205 with a Kakimoto exhaust (not sure whether 2" or 3"). I'm delving into performance mods soon, and trying to compile a list of parts I'd need pertaining to the exhaust system.

- intake manifold
- decat downpipe
- exhaust manifold

Am I right in saying that in upgrading these parts, I'll see an increase in powaa on my stock engine?
How hard would this be for a parking lot mechanic?

Corey

I would start with the downpipe and air intake. I've read that the factory exhaust and intake manifolds are good enough to support modest increases in power.

underscore

Corey Darling":1z0egnvg said:
I would start with the downpipe and air intake. I've read that the factory exhaust and intake manifolds are good enough to support modest increases in power.

Same here, sell the cat to a metal recycler and buy an aftermarket downpipe. Unless you're making big power the stock manifolds are fine.