Picked up a clean camry alltrac

killemalltrac

That's rad, I would love to get an alltrac Camry. I am also a huge fan of the VWs. I generally prefer them older tho. I had a 77 westfalia for my first car... And I'm from Oregon haha!!

GT4_DRED

soarinhigh":2qa8sjwt said:
That's rad, I would love to get an alltrac Camry. I am also a huge fan of the VWs. I generally prefer them older tho. I had a 77 westfalia for my first car... And I'm from Oregon haha!!

Welcome! There has been quite a bit of Camry Alltrac attention in here lately. I'm fan of the VWs as well and will eventually get around to swapping a syncro 4wd system from a b4 passat into a corrado or use the syncro rear assembly to house a ford 8.8 diff and go rwd. Sooo many projects.. :doh:

Street_Chally73

The clutch master can still be the culprit, even though it's not showing any signs of leaking...when mine went out on my old Corolla, there wasn't any visible leaking from the engine bay. However, you could see moisture on the clutch rod boot underneath the dash.

I figured it was the clutch because the car had around 150-160,000 on the original clutch, but much to my amazement the clutch still looked to be in good shape (ended up swapping it out just for piece of mind even though we later figured out it was just the damn master cylinder).

GL!!

TDISyncro

Thanks for the replies. Glad to see a little love for the dub around here. I'm a lover of all cars. I bled the system out and had no air bubbles. The slave seems to move its entire throw but I can't me sure of that as I don't have a repair manual for it yet. (any recommendations on manuals for these)

It's very strange. Sometimes I can get into first with no problems and other times its almost impossible to get in to without shutting the car off. We just got a foot of snow so I have not been able too look at it in depth yet. Do these cars have an adjustment on the clutch peddle itself ? I may throw a new clutch at it for preventative maintenance but I'm not 100% convinced its the problem.

Thanks

Dave

underscore

Does the clutch seem to stick more when it's really cold, and then fix itself once the engine has been hot for a while and everything has soaked up a bit of heat, or once it stops working it doesn't work for a while?

Street_Chally73

It almost sounds like what I had with my Stealth. I'd bleed the hydraulic system, let it sit for a couple days, & then I could shift into all of the gears again with the engine running.

A couple more days later it would lock me out again, I'd let it sit for a while, & could eventually be able to get into a couple gears with the engine running before getting completely locked out.

I finally bit the bullet & dug deeper into the transaxle (figured it was a physical clutch malfunction from the start, but kept taking people's advice & did the easier things first)...Turns out one of the spring perches on the sprung disc had broken off & was affecting the disengagement every time it fell into the wrong spot (it was an OEM Exedy clutch assembly & the P.O. had receipts showing it was replaced ~12k miles ago)).

I'm not too sure how often that happens with the OEM discs on these cars, but perhaps that could be your issue, too.

TDISyncro

Underscore it does not seem to matter whether its been run a while or is cold. I drove it over an hour when I purchased it and it still had the same symptoms when I got home. One other thing I should mention is that I can't get the clutch to slip at all in any gear...even trying.

Scott Thanks for the info on the manuals

Very interesting Street chally. I've never heard of that happening before but it makes total sense....I bet hard as hell to diagnose as well.

Is Aisin a good brand of clutch ? I can get one on Amazon right now for the All trac for $113 shipped. I usually run Sachs clutches on my VW's but I was told to run an OEM clutch on a yota and from what research I've done I believe they make clutches for Toyota.

Its been in the twentys here but I'm hoping to get it into my friends garage next weekend. I have pulled dozens of transmissions on jettas/ golfs etc...easy peezy. Are these very difficult?

Thanks for the help

Dave

phattyduck

Trans and engine must be dropped together. Not an easy task. Aisin or Exedy will be your best bet for OEM-type clutches. See the 'drivetrain' section for trans-engine re-assembly.

I own two Camry Alltracs (one swapped with a 3s-gte, one waiting a BEAMS swap (NA, 200hp, 2.0L). Both rust-free California cars (VERY rare).

You can also fine more Camry specific info on the Camry sub-forum of Toyotanation (where I spend most of my forum time).

-Charlie

Street_Chally73

Yeah, I never really thought that I'd find a chunk of metal beating the crap out of the flywheel, clutch, & pressure plate when I pulled it apart.

Apparently we cannot post photos to the forum anymore with Tapatalk...bummer 'cause I found a couple photos of the carnage.

TDISyncro

Thanks for the info. A mechanic I know swears up and down I can remove a 4cyl manual transmission without pulling the engine/trans together...although its easier if you remove the subframe....but he says that that is not even totally necessary. Does that sound doable ? I'm still waiting on a manual I got off Ebay. Thanks

dusty

welcome, I still have a Camry alltrac too, 1989 auto that I have raced, not as good looking as yours...lol

phattyduck

The FWD transmissions (Whether 4-cyl or V6) pop right off. The Alltrac transmission requires engine removal due to the transfer case.

-Charlie

zero06

here is what you do: sell the car to me!
I had one of these as my first car, but mine was unsaveably rusted :(
camry alltrac 5 speed sedan = my dream car
don't ask

If you ever need to find it a home HMU

TDISyncro

Thanks, That makes total sense. I have not been able to crawl underneath it yet with all the snow around it. I am driving it down to Carson City next weekend to use a friends shop space and cherry picker. I will post some pictures of the carnage. I'm grabbing some studded winterforce tires from tirerack this week. I take it 185 70 14 is the stock size. Anyone know if I can step it up a size without modifications ?

I can't see myself selling this car. It was in Carson City its whole life so its super dry, no rusted bolts anywhere ! I'd really like to figure out a way to run a 1.9TDI engine in one of these..50 MPG and AWD....mmmmmmm.

Thanks

CSAlltrac

Awesome find you got your hands on. All the work of getting her tip top will be worth it. If you end up doing the clutch it will be WAY easier to remove engine and trans. as a unit. It will drop from the bottom not out the top, the AWD provides for some fun challenges when working on it. You could also try an extended slave cyl. to see if that will "band aid" cure it till winter passes.

TDISyncro

CSAlltrac":12op9ny6 said:
You could also try an extended slave cyl. to see if that will "band aid" cure it till winter passes.
Thanks, I wasn't aware how rare these cars are until I got it home. I really want to clean it up and just enjoy it as is for now. The slave isn't threaded/ adjustable is it ? Are you saying I could possibly make an extension for it ? If I could get a few more weeks out of it that would be awesome....my friend is currently doing two engine swaps into Toyota trucks in his shop and I feel bad pushing his shit out of the way to work on this right away.