CS Cam Gear Induction

Eurus

Can anyone explain/ show me how this tube (circled) connects to the Cam cover?
Any and all pictures will help; Ive spent a good 20 minutes, just to find this photo on here, through google.
Thank you.
11338595423_ab89be0fe4_z.jpg

Tecker185

Heat was a problem in rally with these cars. The timing belts where literally burning up. It's one of the provisions for the CS/RC model.

phattyduck

Its held to the valve cover with one 10mm bolt. It directs air to where (on the rally cars only) there is a hole in the inner metal shield of the timing belt area. It is there on the street cars for homologation purposes but isn't functional.

So, on the street cars it does nothing (you don't want to have a bunch of dirt and water getting in there long-term). On the rally cars, it kept the timing belt area cool.

-Charlie

Eurus

Well I feel like a noob, with your answers. haha. I do understand what it was used for; however, I am interested in how it is directly connected to the cam cover. Pictures of that cam cover by itself would be the easiest way to understand, but I dont know what to search to bring an image up.

celi_wabbit

This only bolts in one way, there are no other way it will go if you have the bracket the came with it. As phattyduck said! only one bolt, if you have the original bracket.

Also, by looking at your picture, it needs to rotate about 180 deg.

phattyduck

Yeah, its hard to say anything else. One (or two?) 10mm bolt. It just sits on top there. I don't run it since there no place on my hood for it (ST205 motor):
87_3.jpg

You can see the bolt holes and slight wear on the valve cover where it touches if installed:
08D2509B-05B1-4128-9171-AB65EFE3B13D-5021-000008FFD684905C_zpsd57957fb.jpg

Of course, what I've shown you here and the picture you posted is for an ST205 motor. The ST185 CS is probably a bit different.

-Charlie

athousandleaves

All the second gen engines that I've worked on have a functional opening in the timing cover for cooling the belt.

The RC/CS has the single snorkel and the regular ATA TMIC'd cars have a small rubber boot that directs air into the timing cover after it passes through the intercooler; part number 17971-88380.

Eurus

athousandleaves":r0gfnkw3 said:
All the second gen engines that I've worked on have a functional opening in the timing cover for cooling the belt.

The RC/CS has the single snorkel and the regular ATA TMIC'd cars have a small rubber boot that directs air into the timing cover after it passes through the intercooler; part number 17971-88380.

That's quite interesting.

I guess I should point out some things to others who replied.
This is not my car pictured, I have a 165; the picture was pretty much the only image I could find of that piece attached to the car.
I posted just to see where the hole was in the timing cover, and how this "snorkel" attaches to it.

Thank you for all the replies.