How much hp can a 268 cams add to 3gen 3sgte?

MrMcQuacker

Reason why I am asking is because I'm debating on doing a t04e 57 or cams and gears. I wanna daily 17psi for a little while longer and I wanna know what will give me best results.

built2run

Stock cams will do fine for 300 whp if I were you I would go with turbo and fuel system especially if your power goals are low

zero06

I'd say step 1 on modifying a turbo car is an a/f ratio guage for safety then for making more power is get a new turbo. ct26's and their upgrades should be avoided especially with 3" exhaust. I found this out first hand with a ct27 apparently Simba did as well. The wasted gate doesn't flow enough (even when ported) reason being that the exhaust makes it such that there is less resistance to flow through the turbine. Also an aftermarket actuator will run you the price of an EWG anyways. An EWG is a must!

At that point you can run under 13-15 psi safely on the stock tune/system

Reason why I'd say no to cams right away is you should really have a method of fuel tuning before you drastically change your VE

psipwrd

OP asked how much can it add. After comparing dynos, i decided to get 268s. For my hp goal they seem to add 30ish whp. If one is willing to boost VE by allow more airflow into and out of the head, why steer them away?

600 w/o cams is probably about 650 with.

yota 3.0

Yes the entire head on my setup is completely stock, unless you count head studs, which in that case I have upgraded head studs.

yes for sure I would of made more power with aftermarket cams like psipwrd said around 650 is a good guess. what would really change is where and for how long on the graph it makes the power.

hope that helps :)

~James

MrMcQuacker

Sweet, 264-268 was where I was looking anyway :). I Want to get everything up before I get a tune done. I got arp head studs and suspention comming along soon. Also have a AEM EMS 4 and once I get the Cam's Ill throw everything in and get it Tuned :).

MrMcQuacker

Also forgot to mention that I will have a ct26 with a 57trim on the way :). I still don't know if I should get the exhaust wheel clipped or not, any suggestions?

psipwrd

Want to see an epic cam write-up and cam-paro? Check out Dsport mag, Feb issue, everything you want to know about cams. They go on to test 14 different cams on an EVO8, the third cam made 131awhp over stock--the remaining 11 cams will be shown in March's issue.