Project Phoenix 1990 Alltrac Paint Work Starts 3-5-16!!!

Lamont

LegacyofDan":3jqz8m4c said:
I am super excited to the progress from this! its been a while lamont :(
Hope all is well man!!

Hey Dan, all is well on my end, progress on Phoenix has been slow as you know, but things should be picking up pretty soon. I was hoping to be further along at this point, but I still have plenty to do once the paint is done so I have just been collecting parts lately. I should have some new progress pictures shortly. I will admit that I am chomping at the bit :lol: :lol:

Lamont

Lamont

Hey guys, I have some great progress to report. Last week the paint work started. Unfortunately I was unable to get photos of all the parts in primer. The paint work looks very nice, but it hasn't been finish sanded and buffed yet. I also like how my painter did the underside of all the panels, very nice touch. The rear hatch and doors will be painted next. Here are the photos of the parts that have been painted so far. The pictures are not the best quality, I had to borrow a camera in order to take these. My camera was left at the shop with my painter for him to photo-document the process of replacing the rear quarter panels.

Thanks for following Project Phoenix guys!!!

Lamont

88gt4DE":6qeabphl said:
Holy crap ! :notworthy: Dewd I hope you have a bubble to put that thing in when yer done !

LOL, I may get a pole tent and car cover since I don't have a garage. I don't know yet still trying to work storage out.

88gt4DE

Lamont":39cv4cr2 said:
88gt4DE":39cv4cr2 said:
Holy crap ! :notworthy: Dewd I hope you have a bubble to put that thing in when yer done !

LOL, I may get a pole tent and car cover since I don't have a garage. I don't know yet still trying to work storage out.

I'm sure out there in the country you can put up a small pole barn type thing , hell the amish could do it in an afternoon normally ...

CSAlltrac

Gotta love some new 3E5 Red! Lamont you are seriously the man. The car has made such a dramatic return from what I can only think of as a "near death experience". Hats off to you buddy, keep it up, and keep the updates coming. :D

Redswan

Dude, seriously. awesome job restoring this car!
it used to look like the signature below about 6 years ago last 4 on the VIN 6973 right?

Lamont

Redswan":2q8ktjnu said:
Dude, seriously. awesome job restoring this car!
it used to look like the signature below about 6 years ago last 4 on the VIN 6973 right?

Hello Redswan, this is a different chassis. I purchased the hood and front bumper from another member ToyLextech from Atlantic City, NJ. He parted out the entire car I believe. Amazing that the car was from the west coast and ended up in Atlantic City, NJ :shock: :shock:

Thank you
Lamont

Lamont

Hey guys well it is time for an update on Project Phoenix. Unfortunately my mechanic hasn't been documenting his progress with photos as much as I had hoped. I am pleased with the progress and just had to share a few pictures of some of the best bondo stacking I have seen on a body panel.

First here is a shot of just how deep the bondo was on the drivers rear quarter panel:

Here is another from a different angle. We are guessing it is roughly 3/4" thick in some spots:

Next is the rust areas that were removed from the car that are being replaced using the replacement panels this area was badly hit and poorly repaired in the past:

Ironically the replacement drivers rear quarter panel was also repaired using tons of bondo as well. Here is a pic showing just how thick it was, we guess 1/2":

Once the bondo was removed and the skin cut from the inner support you can see just how bad the panel was. The repair wasn't bad, but the bondo was applied way too thick:

Things are progressing nicely and my painter is doing a great job with the body work. Plans are to have the body in primer in a week or two. Hopefully I can twist his arm to take more pics so that I can share them with you guys. Thanks for following Project Phoenix and I look forward to updating more progress soon.

Lamont

So it's been forever guys I know it seems like I fell off the face of the earth, but I'm still around and kicking. There has been tons of progress and Phoenix is almost done and ready for the good weather to return. Where did we leave off? Here is the rear quarter panel rust repair:

Once the rear quarters were repaired we moved on to preparing the body for primer. Surprisingly other than the rear quarters the body was in pretty good condition:

Close-up of the A-pillar seam:

Rear glass removed from hatch:

The glass was in decent shape, but I was able to source a new replacement hatch glass which has been discontinued by Toyota. More on that later.

Next we rolled the rear fenders to make room for the wheels I plan on installing at a later date. It was decided that it would be better to do this at this stage before the car went into primer. These aren't the best pictures, but my painter did an awesome job to make the wheel well blend into the body of the car:

Now we moved on to primer:

Next the primer was sanded to prep for finish coat:

Next is where the twist comes in. The super red parts were also prepped :shrug: :wink: :

That's all for now guys.
Thanks for following project Phoenix guys.
More to come shortly!!

Lamont

So I forgot to mention that I ran into a bit of a snag when removing the gas tank. The fuel sending unit was badly rusted and I completely snapped off the entire threaded section that connects to the flexible fuel line:

I was very worried because the sending unit has been discontinued and finding one used was proving to be difficult. I got lucky and found a refurbished fuel sending unit and had it shipped from Great Britain:

I decided to assemble the replacement gas tank I purchased a few years back. The seller informed me that it was from a salvage yard in Arizona. I also purchased all new hardware and gaskets from Toyota, and a new filler neck from Great Britain. The filler neck is discontinued here in the US.:

While the body and parts were being painted my daughter helped me upholster the headliner. One of my favorite parts, because my daughter actually volunteered to help. Here are the results:

Now if you guys haven't figured it out, I changed the color. Over the years my tastes have changed and I wanted something low-key, not too flashy, and elegant. After some back and forth with the wife she decided on the color and here it is:

That's all for now, thanks for following Project Phoenix guys!!
More to come very shortly!!