Punknoodle's ST185

Talk about your project car here

Re: Punknoodle's Aus-Spec ST185

Postby Punknoodle » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks, although I can't take credit for any of the welding :)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Punknoodle
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby Punknoodle » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:02 pm

My ECU arrived and so I got a chance to install it.

Took me a couple of nights just taking it easy. Went without a hitch, because since I've been looking forward to doing this for so long I'd already made diagrams and spreadsheets on the connections I needed to do.

So I basically just did one wire at a time, cutting it off the factory ECU plug and splicing it on to the Haltech loom, remembering to slide heat shrink over first! I left the feeds and grounds till last because there are multiple wires the needed soldered together. Where there were unused wires I folded them back on to themselves and shrunk them too.

Anyhow, once I'd done it and double checked it I switched the battery on and turned on the ignition (I unplugged my coils and injectors first) and made sure the ECU powered up. Connected the laptop and checked the I/O, my temp sensors were reading fine and so was my throttle position sensor so that was a good sign.

Took out my spark plugs and cranked the engine, looking at the trigger count but it didn't look right, my triggers since last home was all over the place, did some more research and found there was conflicting information regarding which G wire to use in the distributer for trigger. I changed the one I used and then tried it again and it was fixed.

So I'm pretty confident now with the wiring so I tidied it up as best I could - I still need to make the mount for the ECU to go in the factory location and the MSD tach adapter. Due to the connections that needed done being on seperate parts of the factory harness it didn't come out as nice as I would have liked.. But it's hidden anyway I suppose.

So the 2 wires by the centre console are for the data log enable switch by the steering wheel, just have to run them through and connect them. The 3 small wires in front of the MSD adapter are for the wideband, to connect the lap top or the calibration lead I made that has an LED and push button on it for when I want to calibrate it.
Punknoodle
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby Punknoodle » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:45 am

This is how the engine bay looks now. What an effort it was to get the turbo out! The 27mm banjo bolt on the block for the turbo feed was too tight for my 1/2" breaker bar, so we tried my friends Snap On impact gun on it and it still didn't budge to I went old school and put a pipe on my breaker bar and it loosened easily.

So I separated the turbo from the manifold and dump pipe. I noted how much the wastegate flap opens with the current pipe and it is hitting it quite early in it's travel and so the flap is only just lifting off the ports by about 8mm. No wonder it boost creeps.. The pipe around it is small too so there is just no area for it to flow much. The other thing I've noticed is that the previous owner ported the housing of the turbo and extended the pipe in past the flange to properly separate the wastegate and output so my dump pipe won't fit the new turbo...

Old:

New:

This has forced my hand somewhat. I'm hoping my exhaust guy Brian from Exhaust Innovations will be able to do a new one for me at short notice, off the car by making a jig to make sure it bolts up the same as my current one, with one large collector and 3 or 3.5". No O2 flange either which will tidy it up. And hopefully it can get HPC coated quickly too, or else I will have to delay my tuning..

Bit of a spanner in the works but to he honest I'm sort of happy to be doing it anyway as I've never been a fan of my current dump pipe and I should definitely have no boost creep issues with better made one coupled with my ported housing. I need to go custom because I have a different flange at the bottom, as the exhaust was all custom made when I got it and so when I had my dump pipe - back sections made they aren't the same as factory.

In in other news I have the fuel rail all machined now so I'll be picking that up tomorrow and installing the injectors and fuel rail when I get a chance, then draining the fuel I have in there now, filling it up with fresh 98 and changing the filter ready for tuning.

Then after I get the new dump made its just a matter of reassembling everything. Shouldn't take long with all the new gaskets etc I have. Crank it over, set base timing then put in new coolant, do an oil change, load my base map in and try to start it before it goes in for tuning. On the 11th. It's a tight schedule and I fear I may have to delay my appointment with Mercury if this dump pipe can't be done quickly...
Punknoodle
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby Punknoodle » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 pm

So quite a bit has happened since I last updated this.. I got a new dump pipe made and coated, and had the exhaust housing of the CT20b coated as well (my manifold had already been coated at some point).

I also picked up a 162 fuel rail as the machinist damaged my 165 rail, and had it bored to suit the 750cc injectors. Fits perfectly.

Here is the turbo, mounted to the manifold. I also painted the clamp of the turbo, it was looking quite rusty.

And here is a shot of it all back together again.

Firstly, I cranked the engine over with no spark plugs to build oil pressure and get oil flowing through the turbo. I then installed the plugs and coils, put a short lead between coil one and the plug for my timing light to go on, locked the timing in the haltech and adjusted it until the timing was right. I then enabled my injectors, and cranked it over and if fired up, but very rough. Good enough for me though, so I washed it and got it ready to pick up on a tow truck to head off to get tuned.

And it got put on the dyno and tuned..

Feels so much better than last time I drove it. Sure, 160 odd awkw isn't a hell of a lot, but the low down urgency it has compared to before is fantastic, the aggressive ignition timing and CT20b really make it quite responsive!
Punknoodle
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby CSAlltrac » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:51 am

I love your car, the wheels are perfect. What does the 160 convert into HP?
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby Punknoodle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:56 am

Hey mate, thanks. I think it works out to be just over 210 awhp.
Punknoodle
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby Punknoodle » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:38 pm

It's been a while since I've posted an update here..

I haven't really done anything to the car since it's been tuned, I did take delivery of one of the solid diff mount and poly bush kits from a group buy ran by Klue, although I'm yet to fit it.

I have changed my front rotors to dimpled versions, and I changed to a semi track spec pad all round (QFM, as the Project Mu HC+ pads I ordered didn't arrive in time, I have them sitting ready for next time I need to change them) and some Castrol SRF brake fluid.

Took it around Queensland Raceway for time attack, just a bit of fun. Unfortunately it exposed a couple of issues, it seems it's getting too hot. I have a new water temp sensor to go in just in case there is a calibration problem with the OEM one, it's easier just to replace it and select the new sensor in the ECU, being a Haltech ECU it will already have a calibration table for it.

I'm also buying a group a bumper for it, to try and improve air flow in to the radiator and heat exchanger. Hopefully with those things done it will be able to cope with the Aussie heat coupled with track duties.

Anyway, a few pics :)

Punknoodle
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby OnAll-FOUR » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:41 pm

Hey mate, the gt4 looks great. You should pop into toymods.org.au and keep us up to date as well :)

Great to see another GT4 being driven had in Aust.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showth ... &page=1572
Now with the heart of a wolf500
1990 ST185 - JDM, 138.1AWhp July 06 --> 202AWHP Dec 08 with stock engine and increased boost only :)
WSID: 15.688@82.59 (Weak ;) ) : Wakefield 1:16.2
OnAll-FOUR
Club Member

Postby CSAlltrac » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Still love the wheels! Did you call the towing company and choose a color coordinated truck!? It's a good pairing. :P
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Punknoodle's Aus-Spec ST185

Postby Punknoodle » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:57 am

OnAll-FOUR wrote:Hey mate, the gt4 looks great. You should pop into toymods.org.au and keep us up to date as well :)

Great to see another GT4 being driven had in Aust.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showth ... &page=1572

I actually already have a post there, but I forgot about it lol. Just updated it, it was more behind than this one;

Here is the link:

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showth ... ost1371090

CSAlltrac wrote:Still love the wheels! Did you call the towing company and choose a color coordinated truck!? It's a good pairing. :P

Haha I never noticed that! Looks cool though.

Cheers guys.
Punknoodle
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby Punknoodle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:17 am

So my bumper arrived, got the new reinforcement bar installed so I could mount up the heat exchanger in a better position. I moved it forward, into the lower opening of the new bumper. This allows more air to enter above the cooler and cool the actual radiator.
Here is what it looks like behind the new bumper
Then I removed it again so I could paint the steel brackets I made up to mount it. While I was at it I decided to make a template up and get a little arty with the heat exchanger
And here is how it turned out
Next up, reinstall heat exchanger, make up new mount for pump, re-plumb then make some ducting to channel the air in to the radiator more efficiently. Then get the bumper painted.
Punknoodle
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby CSAlltrac » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:46 am

Glad you're back! Heat exchanger came out nice, can't wait to see the bumper on. Is your front tow strap a speed hunters piece?
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby 801Alltrac » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:42 pm

Very nice work , do you have any info on your gen1 head mods and is it a gen1 intake too?
801Alltrac
Club Member

Postby Punknoodle » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:41 pm

To be honest, not real sure of the extent of the work on the inside of the head, the intake is a Gen 2 manifold.

The tow strap isn't Speedhunters, no, it's just a generic one. Can't think of a nice way to hang it out of the new bumper, as now that it has an aluminium support bar I can't use that and the easiest solution is to make a strong bracket off one of the factory tow points and hang it out one of the side vents.
Punknoodle
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby Punknoodle » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:56 am

Here's the finished look!
Looking forward to my next session at QR to check the temps, before then I have some new hoses to put on and new Haltech sensors to wire up (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, and replacement Coolant Temp).
Punknoodle
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

PreviousNext

Return to My Project