FIRE! Pics! Racecar Build. Video Added Jan 31 2013

RallyX-GT4

I remember when I first came across this thread and was so bummed when the engine went. Kind of lost track of things and rediscovered it today. I can't believe how full of awesome this is! Keep up the amazing work - I am so jealous of your skills and resources!

yota 3.0

Hey Guys,

snapped a pic of my fuel cell setup

595CC01F-4538-4508-BEC9-E995CDDDC182_zpsfaruj4yo.jpg

yota 3.0

no we do not require a fire wall but we are required to wear full fire protective gear and have a fire extinguisher in the car.

some guys run their fuel cell on their passenger side floor!

~James

dusty

Really, wow. that would be better, the best spot then is behind the driver and passenger seat.
we don't need a fire suit or extinguisher.

athousandleaves

I think a lot of sanctioning bodies for pro racing are beginning to change the rules for fuel cell location due to the effect of being rear ended. They're making it so the fuel cell must be between the axles at some point. Fairly sure this is at least happening with the Australian V8 Supercars series.

underscore

^ that sounds right to me, I recall someone on here posting a video of a fuel cell exploding and filling a car with flames after being rearended. Is there any reason you wouldn't just put the fuel cell where the gas tank was? That way it's outside of the cabin and mounted lower.

yota 3.0

underscore":1lzwcrdv said:
^ that sounds right to me, I recall someone on here posting a video of a fuel cell exploding and filling a car with flames after being rearended. Is there any reason you wouldn't just put the fuel cell where the gas tank was? That way it's outside of the cabin and mounted lower.

This is an option as well. for safety reasons having it in the trunk is probably not the best idea. mounting it any other way would add weight from the brackets that would need to be made. I don't think we are reaching the same speeds as a road course track and I still have my rear crash beam behind the bumper. This year id be lucky to hit 3rd gear, the track is super technical.

~James

yota 3.0

ya I think its ready, just put a fresh 5 liters of oil and new filter in.

test and tune is this Saturday and the first race is this Sunday.

Jan 11 test and tune
Jan 12 race
Jan 19 race
Jan 26 race
Feb 2 race
Feb 8 and 9 IIRA race
Feb 16 race
Feb 23 race
Mar 2 race

ill keep you all posted on how it goes. lowered the boost to waste spring which is about 400awhp.

~James

dusty

sweet, if my schedule goes well, I may try to come up for the Mar.2 race. will have to see, 18hr drive.

dusty

$250 round trip, that is not bad would likely burn that in gas....ummm. make sure and take some pics and vid.

yota 3.0

Hey Guys,

Some updates from this weekend. Saturday was test and tune, spent the day trying to figure out how much usable power I can put down, started at 550 then 500, then 460, ended up at wastegate pressure so about 415awhp, the car is still just crazy on the track with this much power but its manageable.

Sunday was the first race event. with how much snow we have, it made plowing a track very hard so the track ended up being a lot narrower than we are used to. Unfortunately it wasn't a good day for Team Toyota, both Celica's are down :(

prior to race day
4B8FBC12-02C4-42BB-80EE-CC25EE8B4350_zpskod8fhgl.jpg

97FDB979-BDE8-4A44-98DD-C1815705EA28_zps5exaj46n.jpg

after test and tune
36E44200-2348-4CCE-AEBB-098546F20C38_zpsfrkfmppa.jpg

BB635B4E-7770-48E0-943A-0911E5242CF9_zpsyqunboyv.jpg

after race day:
Hit the bank hard at the top of 3rd gear and did some damage, my rear control arm bushings are shot so im going to put some polly ones in before next weekend, also gotta toss on the old bumper
67AEF81F-7319-46ED-9213-7739AA056377_zpsyj1af3rj.jpg

Celica #2
hit the bank hard and barrel rolled 3 times. the in car gopro footage is intense. Dan (the driver) was fine, the roll cage did its job. As for the car, it is undetermined if he is going to fix it or find another car. the car needs to be pulled apart and damage assessed. very sad day for sure :(
8BA361FB-33D8-4709-B656-215D49EA70C9_zpsxnqzfhcb.jpg

9CC60FBB-DB8F-44C6-9E5B-F216CA521874_zpsm4owvfri.jpg

F784E963-A72F-46B7-AC9A-21CC14C23791_zpsymutwwiq.jpg

~James

dusty

holly crap!!! that sucks! you guys are getting way more speed than we are. even on the tires you run you might see 110 km and that is only on the straight. did you finish any races? any wins? you able to run next weekend?