frankinstien transmission E350

BlackKnight

I need help and my friend said there is a lot of experience here so I reaching out. I do not have a Celica but do have a Toyota Scion tC with a 5-speed manual. Heres my dilemma I am making 519whp and 488wtq but the transmission is not holding up. I am looking to do something similar that a friend of mine did unless someone can recommend a shop that can custom cut me a gear. The 4th gear in this transmission is weak and breaks under severe load. I have cryo and rem treated the entire transmission and had it correctly shimmed to ensure it has the correct tolerances however it still breaks due to being weak. Is there any gear that I can have shaved down that would be stronger to run than the oem one.

For instance my friends E350 transmission has the following:

1st oem
2nd Corolla XRS
3rd oem
4th Corolla XRS
5th MR2
FD MR2

Looking for useful input. I really don't want to use a different transmission or have adapters made at this point due to the clutch, limited slip diff, and axles being used costing 3600 bucks. I would rather not make these obsolete but if it comes down to it, I will.

GT4_DRED

BlackKnight":27a35whx said:
I need help and my friend said there is a lot of experience here so I reaching out. I do not have a Celica but do have a Toyota Scion tC with a 5-speed manual. Heres my dilemma I am making 519whp and 488wtq but the transmission is not holding up. I am looking to do something similar that a friend of mine did unless someone can recommend a shop that can custom cut me a gear. The 4th gear in this transmission is weak and breaks under severe load. I have cryo and rem treated the entire transmission and had it correctly shimmed to ensure it has the correct tolerances however it still breaks due to being weak. Is there any gear that I can have shaved down that would be stronger to run than the oem one.

For instance my friends E350 transmission has the following:

1st oem
2nd Corolla XRS
3rd oem
4th Corolla XRS
5th MR2
FD MR2

Looking for useful input. I really don't want to use a different transmission or have adapters made at this point due to the clutch, limited slip diff, and axles being used costing 3600 bucks. I would rather not make these obsolete but if it comes down to it, I will.
Is it possible to use the 4th gear from the MR2 turbo, the entire gearset or the entire box itself?

Chuck.hudson

Man I know you came here for information which I have none for you but I sure would like to see what a 500 hp scion looks like

BlackKnight

Pics

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386263183626.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386263183626.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 6,018
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386263210810.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386263210810.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 6,018
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386263228977.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386263228977.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 6,018

BlackKnight

Pics 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386263281172.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386263281172.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 6,018
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386263305981.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386263305981.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 6,018
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386263319240.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386263319240.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 6,018

CMS-GT4

I would say look into using a mr2 transmission completely. It will add some weight, but I could had sworn it was discussed that it bolts up in some manner to the TC engine. You might want to look for the XB that has an awd gtfour transmission. I am pretty sure its using the TC engine. There is a link posted in this forum somewhere.

phattyduck

Yeah, I've seen enough pictures of MR2's with the front end of the ground running stock(ish) gearboxes to figure that they can take the abuse. An E153 should bolt up to the 2az in the tC. Not sure of the clutch situation, but something custom should be pretty easy to make. If the track width is right, '88-'91 Camry V6 axles (complete) should be able to be used with a custom axle carrier behind the block. Maybe even the E350 (stock tC manual trans?) axles might work... I don't know. Oh, and good clutch-type diffs are available for the E153 for traction.

-Charlie

BlackKnight

Heres a run down of my setup:

Brian Crower
-Stroker Kit
-Stage II FI Cams
-.5mm oversized valves nitrate coated
-spring and retainer kit
CP 89mm bore Teflon coated skirts, ceramic coated dome 8.8:1 CR pistons
GT3582R turbo
Twin scroll manifold with twin wastegates
3" full exhaust
Swirl pot fuel system
Liquid to air intercooler
Cryo and Rem treated transmission
O.S Giken LSD
Driveshaftshop 3.9 stage axles (600HP) rated already broke one
Exedy twin disc clutch
1000cc FIC injectors
Greddy Emanage Ultimate with boost sensor

Now I do not know many transmission codes or years which these were used. If someone could tell me what year MR2 transmission and transmission code to search for. Also what Corolla XRS transmission code and year to look for? Thank you.

phattyduck

The wikipedia page has some information as a start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_E_transmission

MR2 Turbo E153 - '90+ (note the reversed shift lever location, can be converted)
Camry V6 E153 - '97-'99 (FWD setup)

In the past, I even had an E154F (ST205 AWD gearbox) converted to FWD with a KAAZ LSD and some MR2 E153 parts (the gearing I wanted and the FWD selector setup and an otherwise 'free' transmission that came with a clip). So a broken MR2 trans + a GT4/Alltrac gearbox is another option if you can do the frankenstein work.

After looking at some pics of the E350, it looks like the 'narrow gear' version of the E-series box with a small differential. There are a number of other transmissions in that category ('88-'91 Camry V6, 1st gen Rav4, etc.) Its hard to say how much custom work it will be to get it all working, but it might be blazing a new trail for the tC guys...

-Charlie

crxgames

CMS-GT4":4osp2nti said:
I would say look into using a mr2 transmission completely. It will add some weight, but I could had sworn it was discussed that it bolts up in some manner to the TC engine. You might want to look for the XB that has an awd gtfour transmission. I am pretty sure its using the TC engine. There is a link posted in this forum somewhere.

Where should i look for this xB post? xB is my daily and that intrigues me.

BlackKnight

I'm going to actually start disassembley this weekend. I haven't had time due to schedule and having to move. I found a place to custom build me gears.

CMS-GT4

crxgames":nso1m7al said:
CMS-GT4":nso1m7al said:

Where should i look for this xB post? xB is my daily and that intrigues me.

I have looked for the post for a while, and I do not know where it went. I know I posted it in a thread where a member was talking about using a v6 or something.

alltracman78

The AZ engines sit perfectly vertical, while the S engines sit at an angle [they're technically a slant 4]. The transmissions are set up the same way, so if you attach an AZ engine to an E transmission meant for an S engine it's going to rotate the AZ engine so it sits tilted backwards some [20*?]. This may not matter, but it might effect the oil pickup/drain, coolant flow and will definitely effect engine mounting.

If the AZ bellhousing bolts to the trans none of that obviously matters, but if not you'll probably need an adapter plate to make it work, at minimum.

BlackKnight

Thank you for the very helpful comment. It puts a better perspective on the situation. Any idea if I can keep my current clutch or do I have to run a different one?

BlackKnight

I am excited, did some research and found out not only will the transmission bolt up but I can keep my clutch. Now just got to search for axle, mount, and shift linkage solution.

BlackKnight

I ordered a E153 from Ebay and can't wait to get it. I am looking into possible using my case and differential with MR2 gearsets. Hopefully I can pull it off, if not then I will make custom mounts and shift cables.