FIRE! Pics! Racecar Build. Video Added Jan 31 2013

dusty

that looked really easy to do. he would not have driven up that bank if he was driving on the left side...lol

what is the status on the car? fix? done?

dusty

did you get to race this weekend? how did you make out?

this was our first weekend, all went well, I got 2 4th place finish

yota 3.0

The car has been doing, ok...... all of my rear outer suspension bushings were toast and I needed an alignment big time.
also the factory rad has not been holding up to the task, with increased power comes heat I guess haha.

couple laps in it starts to get hot, so now I need to upgrade the rad, maybe drill some holes in the bumper, try and get some more air flow.

We changed out all the rear outer bushings and got an alignment before the race yesterday and it made a huge difference! still getting hot tho. hopefully I can get a bigger/better rad by Friday.

~James

k.beaty

yota 3.0":17zai7bj said:
We changed out all the rear outer bushings and got an alignment before the race yesterday and it made a huge difference! still getting hot tho. hopefully I can get a bigger/better rad by Friday.

~James

I've got a spare ST185 aluminum rad if you're interested. Located 20 minutes South of Toronto.

Same old same old overheating problems. In rally cars two things seem to help. First is ducts. Air will escape and not go into radiator. Ducts make a huge difference and help cooling fans. Second is to increase the flow by removing the center portion from the thermostat. Should not remove the entire thermostst. Just gut it. But then will have to cover part of the radiator if runs too cold. The main mod is to make all coolant piping larger diameter also to inprove flow. My car has all TTE hardware that they fabricated for that back in 1990's including crossflow radiator. All that can be fabricated but is more work. All these recomendation came from TTE when they were around. Helped me very much.

On another note kaazusa.com has a very nice and well priced beefed up synchro gear kit with very good ratios. May be good for your aplication.

yota 3.0

rallygarage":31b4lyjq said:
Same old same old overheating problems. In rally cars two things seem to help. First is ducts. Air will escape and not go into radiator. Ducts make a huge difference and help cooling fans. Second is to increase the flow by removing the center portion from the thermostat. Should not remove the entire thermostst. Just gut it. But then will have to cover part of the radiator if runs too cold. The main mod is to make all coolant piping larger diameter also to inprove flow. My car has all TTE hardware that they fabricated for that back in 1990's including crossflow radiator. All that can be fabricated but is more work. All these recomendation came from TTE when they were around. Helped me very much.

On another note kaazusa.com has a very nice and well priced beefed up synchro gear kit with very good ratios. May be good for your aplication.

Thanks for the help rallygarage, do you have any pics of your setup, or better yet a build thread? I will for sure look into that gear set as well! :D

k.beaty":31b4lyjq said:
I've got a spare ST185 aluminum rad if you're interested. Located 20 minutes South of Toronto.

Really!?! what brand?

dusty":31b4lyjq said:
wow, you never seem to have any luck
ya it might seem that way, but I look at it as its all a learning curve. ive literally changed almost everything in the car and now I need to work out all the bugs and hopefully not ruin an engine in the process. I don't mind missing an ice race, for most guys ice racing is the only time they get to drive their cars but mine is also plated and street legal ;)

thanks again everyone,
James

dusty

thanks. Racing is going well. I don't have a chance to win, but I have gotten a 2nd, 3rd, lots of 4th and 5th's.
my impreza is working good. I leave it at the track, put gas in it and go racing, I like that...lol

dusty

no, street stud. Sailun ice blazers with #13 studs
I think you are able to run studs on the roads where you live, we are not. but that is why it is called street stud (street legal)

Overtriped

Does your IC heat exchanger get plugged with snow/ice? My 165 would do that in snow, also freezers/coolers won't cool if there is ice covering the evaporator so we set them up with electric defrost heaters or an off cycle to clear the ice. In your application might require a shroud possibly some fans if you don't already have them. Good luck!