Baller on a Budget BBK (BBBBK)

Suspension and other discussion

Baller on a Budget BBK (BBBBK)

Postby bajallama » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:15 am

So here it goes, another All Trac brake thread. I liked all the other ones but I'm not throwing down $800 for calipers whether it be Porsche or ST205, I refuse to dump that much money in an 80's Toyota. So here is my BBBBK for you all to enjoy and copy me if you want.

Just a little background, I'm an aerospace engineer who competed in Formula SAE while in college. I've owned $hitty 80's Toyotas since I was 17 and I still haven't learned.

I might make a kit available if there is an interest.

I have a blog that I post the updates too, so through the process I will just put links to it and make this thread open to discussion and criticism.

And for a taste, I will be using 04 Subie Sti front rotors (which has been discussed here) 03 LS430 4 pot front calipers and for the Rear 06 Legacy vented rotors (Same size Parking brake drum!!) and 03 LS430 2 pot calipers. All this stuff is brand new that I am buying from my local auto parts store, so if you hit the local scrap yard, you might get the stuff cheaper but for rotors and calipers I'm only at $480 for new rotors and rebuilt calipers!

More info:

http://www.projectz61.com/beginning-to-stop-this-pig/
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
ProjectZ61.com
bajallama
Club Member

Re: Baller on a Budget BBK (BBBBK)

Postby UtahSleeper » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:18 am

Curious how this goes. More brake options the better.
80 Corolla Hatchback - Power (Waiting) http://www.3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3208
88 Alltrac - Snow (Stable for now) http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=43482

My Car Projects - https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahSleeper
UtahSleeper
Established Member

Postby Anoo21 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:25 am

How much just for the bracket and spacers?
Anoo21
Club Member

Postby bajallama » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:15 am

There's no spacers, it will be just the rings that locate the rotor on to the hub properly. they may need to be tackwelded onto the rotor since the bore diameter is so close.

I have no idea what the brackets and rings will cost, you guys will be the first to know. Just seeing if there will be an interest.
ProjectZ61.com
bajallama
Club Member

Postby CSAlltrac » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:23 am

I'm all ears!
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby underscore » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:22 am

I'm interested in the rears since I already got the Porsche kit for the front. Although, I spent a lot less on calipers than $800
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby psipwrd » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:27 am

In for a easier/cheaper BBK option. Good find on the autozone front calipers. I'll be watching!
1992 Toyota Celica GT-Four CS (#4025)
psipwrd
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby DeeCee » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:37 am

Of note, my engineer had a bit of a rough time lathing the hubcentric centre rings to fit the 58mm centre sti rotors to the 54.1mm spigot. With an annulus of 2mm thickness, he said if he had the opportunity to open the rotor centre to 60-62mm, making the hubcentric rings would have been easier for him. Then again, I didn't want to lathe rotors every time i needed to change rotors.
GT Four Adovansu "I want to enjoy the powerful and nimble agility behavior."

Elephant: http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26687
DeeCee
Established Member

Postby C-dubb » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:59 pm

I've been looking into BBK options, but don't want to pay $900 for a brembo or Ksport kit just for fronts. I would rather do a little more work and save some money. Looking forward to seeing how this setup turns out.
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Postby ALLensTRAC » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:41 pm

After seeing this I did some digging regarding the Leggy GT rotors. They are 290mm diameter stock. It looks as though Racingbrake.com carries a 316x18mm rotor upgrade for them. This might be a good option for US available rotors that could be used with 205 rear calipers.

As for the LS calipers, have you looked into pad options yet? I don't know if they have any performance pads available yet but when I checked a couple years ago they didn't.
Good luck with the project and I will keep an eye on this as well!!
Allen

1992 Toyota Celica Alltrac "Never ending Project"
2014 Lexus CT200h Redline/Black "Daily project"
2006 Toyota Highlander Wifes daily
ALLensTRAC
Club Member

Postby bajallama » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:10 pm

EBC makes pads for the LS, just Google it. I'll have to bring up my calc sheet again but from what I remember of it, the rear gain was going to be too high if you went any larger of a rotor. I'll check again but the legacy rotor I think should be plenty. I'm getting some other things done to the setup that won't be required to keep it budget like SS lines, cyro treating the rotors and out-gassing the pads.
ProjectZ61.com
bajallama
Club Member

Postby bajallama » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:32 pm

So an update on the Legacy Rear setup.

There is an interference with the hub and the inner diameter of the legacy rotor. If you look at the legacy rotor you can see there is a little step in which the rotor indexes on. So if you use the Legacy rotor you will need to machine your hub down to that diameter. I assume it's safe because it's that way on the Legacy. The good news about this is that if you machine it, you will no longer need the ring since the rotor will be indexing on the outer portion of the hub, not the center. That is definitely a better way since it is an outer diameter and a lot more meat.

So I thought, cool, just pull the hub turn it on my lathe and I can start taking measurements for the caliper mount. Nope, I spent about 8 hours trying to get that damn hub off. The splines rusted themselves to the hub and it will not let loose. Tried a sledge, WD, a torch and every combination. I even bought the Harbor Freight 5 ton gear puller and it still wouldn't budge. So I had to pull the whole upright off and not its going in a press to pop it out.
ProjectZ61.com
bajallama
Club Member

Postby polm » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:51 pm

Got my eyes on this! Btw, porterfield also makes the R4S performance pads for the ls430 so that's an option too. I know many suppliers such as raybestos make premium grade pads for the ls430, a much cheaper alternative than performance pads. Good luck!
polm
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby New Guy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:07 am

I'm a big fan of BrakeBest ceramic pads. I haven't noticed any significant fade even on track days and they wear like iron... And they're easy on the discs, too.
Proud owner of an ESV220x.
New Guy
Club Member

Postby celica_gtx » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:05 am

Pics or ban!!!
interesting
transformation has BEGUN!!!
90GT W/ 90 3SGTE/ SOLD
91 ALL-TRAC 215 w 205 swapd
87 Turbo 4runner-DD/ Expedition build
10 Scion Xb-kid hauler