$400 Surprise Part Deux

Just finished the whole thread. I'm surprised you got the bolts off the bottom of the cat; when I did that the bolts quite frankly refused to come off. Had to punch it out from the top and bottom. Punching it was relatively easy, though. Definitely helped a fair bit. :D

wakkjobb

Fired it up after the cols snap; started up with zero hesitation... gotta love old Yotas! Proceeded to plow through the 2' snow drift behind it and that's about it. Still no serious buyers for it; most of them offer about $1000... pass.

In Civic news, I stuck the stock cam gear on and it runs a lot better. Last month I painted the fenders to match the hood and bumper; someday I'll get around to painting the whole thing... dents and all. Then maybe sell it and get the 165 up to DD status; this past bit of snow had me craving AWD like crazy... FF Civic can handle it, but y'know; it's FF. Boo.

I've been thinking, how important is the water lines for the turbo? As in "can I run mine without it since the radiator is fubar'd?" I mean, it's a stock car... how important is water feed for the turbo? I can run a turbo timer; that's no big deal.

UtahSleeper

Doesn't it need the water to keep it cool? I imagine hitting boost once without cooling would bake the oil in the turbo and kill it. Just guessing though.

wakkjobb

Dunno, it was an idea from a Supra friend. In other news the lights stopped pulsing at idle today and I have no idea why... but I'll take it as a win for now.

wakkjobb

Update:

Sold Honda stuff, bought Celica stuff... like a clutch, radiator and gasket set. Now Charlotte the Harlot is suspended on a lift at work with her heart torn out. As in: pulled the engine Sunday, split the trans today after work, the flywheel will be machined tomorrow and the clutch should be on tomorrow as well. I'm ditching the A/C and cruise, contemplating getting a new steering rack (super-tight budget here) and other minor mods. Evap can delete, EGR delete and so on.

Other random new bits:
hoses
plugs/wires/cap/rotor
belts (woo hoo)
all fluids
one axle
new brake pads and machine the rotors

Then we'll see if she sells. If so, oh well. If not... damn, guess I'll have to keep her and do a side-feed, FMIC, remote oil filter/cooler and so on. It's a slippery slope, I tell ya! :twisted:

wakkjobb

Threw on the flywheel and clutch today, wrestled the trans back onto the engine forever; I forgot exactly how much that sucks. Stabbed the engine into the car, bolted up stuff, replaced all the vacuum and heater hoses I could, started to remove the A/C and fuel evap stuff then ran out of time and went home.

Stuff apart:

Rather toasted OEM Toyota clutch... almost made it to 170,000 miles!

Back together and going in:

Corolla Fart Can AllTrac:

Cold-Air... sure, dude.

Story: '05 SRT-4 for an alignment, new coilovers, camber plates, struts and 3" stainless exhaust. Weak-ass wastegate spring; it blows off in 1st so easy, and it sounds like complete shit. All bark, absolutely no bite. I want to race this clod when the 165 is back together...

wakkjobb

Buttoned up the clutch, wiring harness, plumbing and all that fun crap yesterday; found out the aluminum radiator contacts the body and will spark when the battery is plugged in. Go figure. Quick fix: slide rubber hoses between them just to get it out of the shop.

Today is fluids and alignment day... also "what did I forget to tighten" day and "what's this bolt for" day. Pics later, time for work.

wakkjobb

Finished it off today; runs like a champ and shifts smooth as butter!

Fancy aluminum radiator...

So fresh and so clean clean:

Of course, there are some loose ends that need attention in the future...
The yellow plug was torn when I got is; same for the heavy brown wire. For the life of me I can't remember where these went:

The green plug (knock sensor?) was band-aided by a random red wire all the way back to the ECU; I haven't checked the pin-out to see what it's for. Doesn't seem to affect the engine at all...

Also the brown sensor above it has an open vacuum port; I didn't see a loose line for it so... I don't know. It has two other vacuum lines going to the FPR and intake; so I'm guessing it's got something to do with fueling and/or FCD? Remember, I used to know this stuff years ago but have since forgotten it. I had it running for a while today with no major leaks. The return line for power steering is seeping a little, and I may replace that in the near future. I ended up screwing up the right front axle (don't ask, rookie mistake) so I got a new one for that side, but of course the open boot is on the left side. That too may get changed if money comes around; it's an easy fix. Hell, anything is compared to doing a damn clutch in this car! All the fluids got flushed/changed, even the coolant for the WTA. I still don't have heat at any temperature and I've manually switched the heater valve on the firewall with no change. When I filled the coolant, I used a gravity bleed system... but I didn't clear out the heater core when the engine was out. I guess it's possible there's a bind in there; which again, I'll deal with later. I pulled off the charcoal canister, A/C lines/compressor and cruise stuff; the engine bay looks a lot roomier now.

Overall, I'm happy with it and all its impending repairs; now I'm looking into making my Civic one color and selling it to feed the AllTrac's parts hunger.

wakkjobb

I saw that and I haven't done the second half; I don't drive it and it's getting to be summer, so it'll wait a while.

Got to work this morning and discovered NO LEAKS under the car! How does that happen? I will have to replace the valve cover gasket; it's beginning to seep oil already. Maybe I should have left the build-up on there to help seal it... hm.

I am starting to think about car futures; as in "I should sell a lot of them and start fresh". This AT will need work and Lord knows I'm going to mod it... the Civic needs love as well, but all in all it's a solid car; just turned over 202,000 miles today. It gets a lot of unwanted attention around here, so I'm inclined to sell it and throw some money into the AT's maintenance: struts and brakes immediately come to mind. Then everything else, but it's really not as bad as I think. If I don't mod it (ha forking ha) it'll be cheaper. I'd like to do a side feed, FMIC, FCD, BOV, fresh injectors (can't find mine...) different turbo, oil cooler/filter stuff and so on. Like get lights from an 86 ST to give it that "I'm not really fast" look. C'mon... pre-facelift lights on a 165? I think so. :rofl:

And I have a front engine mount coming since the OE unit was rather trashed. $22 to my door by Tuesday? Sure!

darthripley

theft is always a problem with any honda, which is a shame.

i'd get a kick out of seeing the 162 lights on it ... but honestly, who even knows wtf an alltrac is these days much less a 165 other than us nuts? there's a few & i mean a few people that will know what it is but most think its just an old celica.

underscore

darthripley":3tkf1i6o said:
i'd get a kick out of seeing the 162 lights on it ... but honestly, who even knows wtf an alltrac is these days much less a 165 other than us nuts? there's a few & i mean a few people that will know what it is but most think its just an old celica.

Very true, most people can't even tell my RC and GTS apart since they're both black.