600-800 HP 3SGTE discussion

underscore

Converting to a standalone isn't cheap, so be sure your final goals land you in the realms of needing it ($1k+ for the EMS, $5-600 for a full harness, $$$$$$ for tuning). If you do go standalone, before you pick anything find a tuner you like and see what they're capable of tuning. I think the most common goof-up in the modifying world is picking a stanalone, installing it, and then realizing the nearest tuner who understands that system is many, many hours away.

GT4times2

underscore":1l2stnuo said:
Converting to a standalone isn't cheap, so be sure your final goals land you in the realms of needing it ($1k+ for the EMS, $5-600 for a full harness, $$$$$$ for tuning). If you do go standalone, before you pick anything find a tuner you like and see what they're capable of tuning. I think the most common goof-up in the modifying world is picking a stanalone, installing it, and then realizing the nearest tuner who understands that system is many, many hours away.

Very true. I'd look for a tuner that deals with more than one system (there are plenty out there). A one system tuner is limited in my opinion.

underscore

GT4times2":s1g8abwa said:
underscore":s1g8abwa said:

Very true. I'd look for a tuner that deals with more than one system (there are plenty out there). A one system tuner is limited in my opinion.

Agreed, also if possible look at as many tuners in your area as possible, and see which systems are tuned by more than one of them. This gives you backups if one of them quits or moves or you end up not liking them.

C-dubb

psipwrd":vmz16k2o said:
C-dubb, How much boost do you see at 5500 with launch control?

Mine is tuned pretty conservatively, and I have not used it often. But I've tested out the launch a couple of times building about 7 to 8 psi. I could tune it more aggressively and raise the rev limiter and retard the timing more but It's just been set up at a basic starting point. I plan on adjusting and fine tuning more on the Dyno/Track.

There are some that say it's an engine killer, which I would have to agree with. If its used a lot, but If you race a lot its going to kill your engine one way or another, race engines generally don't last long or get rebuilt frequently because of the harsh conditions they endure in a race season.

I think with a conservative setup for the track that I don't sit and wail on for more than a couple of seconds at launch, it shouldn't be too destructive, but I will see how it works out.