Punknoodle's ST185

Punknoodle

It's been a while since I've posted an update here..

I haven't really done anything to the car since it's been tuned, I did take delivery of one of the solid diff mount and poly bush kits from a group buy ran by Klue, although I'm yet to fit it.

I have changed my front rotors to dimpled versions, and I changed to a semi track spec pad all round (QFM, as the Project Mu HC+ pads I ordered didn't arrive in time, I have them sitting ready for next time I need to change them) and some Castrol SRF brake fluid.

Took it around Queensland Raceway for time attack, just a bit of fun. Unfortunately it exposed a couple of issues, it seems it's getting too hot. I have a new water temp sensor to go in just in case there is a calibration problem with the OEM one, it's easier just to replace it and select the new sensor in the ECU, being a Haltech ECU it will already have a calibration table for it.

I'm also buying a group a bumper for it, to try and improve air flow in to the radiator and heat exchanger. Hopefully with those things done it will be able to cope with the Aussie heat coupled with track duties.

Anyway, a few pics :)

Punknoodle

OnAll-FOUR":2zdhfio1 said:
Hey mate, the gt4 looks great. You should pop into toymods.org.au and keep us up to date as well :)

Great to see another GT4 being driven had in Aust.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showth ... &page=1572

I actually already have a post there, but I forgot about it lol. Just updated it, it was more behind than this one;

Here is the link:

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showth ... ost1371090

CSAlltrac":2zdhfio1 said:
Still love the wheels! Did you call the towing company and choose a color coordinated truck!? It's a good pairing. :p

Haha I never noticed that! Looks cool though.

Cheers guys.

Punknoodle

So my bumper arrived, got the new reinforcement bar installed so I could mount up the heat exchanger in a better position. I moved it forward, into the lower opening of the new bumper. This allows more air to enter above the cooler and cool the actual radiator.

Here is what it looks like behind the new bumper

Then I removed it again so I could paint the steel brackets I made up to mount it. While I was at it I decided to make a template up and get a little arty with the heat exchanger

And here is how it turned out

Next up, reinstall heat exchanger, make up new mount for pump, re-plumb then make some ducting to channel the air in to the radiator more efficiently. Then get the bumper painted.

CSAlltrac

Glad you're back! Heat exchanger came out nice, can't wait to see the bumper on. Is your front tow strap a speed hunters piece?

Punknoodle

To be honest, not real sure of the extent of the work on the inside of the head, the intake is a Gen 2 manifold.

The tow strap isn't Speedhunters, no, it's just a generic one. Can't think of a nice way to hang it out of the new bumper, as now that it has an aluminium support bar I can't use that and the easiest solution is to make a strong bracket off one of the factory tow points and hang it out one of the side vents.

Punknoodle

Here's the finished look!

Looking forward to my next session at QR to check the temps, before then I have some new hoses to put on and new Haltech sensors to wire up (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, and replacement Coolant Temp).

Punknoodle

The reason I want to make it out of stainless and not aluminium is because it is much easier to weld stainless, I was going to weld the fins, not rivet. Plus stainless is less likely to warp and is stronger. Not too worried about the weight

aus jd 2703

As far as I know he is doing xiiimotorsports diff mounts at the moment and then replacing a cracked head. He just bought a house and works away from home a lot so hopefully later this year he will get it done. Right after he helps with my wiring :D