91 alltrac trans rebuild?

celica_gtx

has anyone done a rebuild/seal/syncro/bearing on their 185?

got the time and space and its all out and wanna just save myself the time and headache down the road and do it now.
planning on keeping her for awhile.

need to source a kit. no luck finding a complete kit.

thanks.

ALLensTRAC

There isn't one available. Also one of the shift forks is discontinued but you can use a steel one from a 1990 ES250 (e150 forks are aluminum). I did mine 3 years ago and it wasn't difficult except there is one SST that is required to remove 5th gear. It is a weird design and requires the proper puller. Just disassemble and check for problems. Address all the issues you find and replace all the seals and it should be good to go. Get the factory RM rebuild procedure and it gives you specs. Order only what you need or it gets expensive fast!! Good luck with it!

celica_gtx

What did u use to seal it? Gaskets or an rtv?

I've done a tranny but it's been awhile!
And need to get cracking on the BGB so it.

ALLensTRAC

celica_gtx":2qnyuwq5 said:
What did u use to seal it? Gaskets or an rtv?

I've done a tranny but it's been awhile!
And need to get cracking on the BGB so it.

Always use Toyota Red FIPG part number#00295-01281. This is the approved trans/diff sealant. It works great!!! For seals you will need the input/outputs minimum. I can't remember now but I believe the fluid pump inside contains some O-rings and gaskets. You'll need to look once you get it apart.

celica_gtx

Sweet thanks thats what I was needing to know. I got a shop that says they will do it for 200..but I dont think they know what they are getting into. Just to reseal it

ALLensTRAC

Hell if you were close I'd do it for 200. I just did a MR2 trans that had a broken shift fork so I'm getting good at it lol!! Good luck and if you need any help feel free to PM me!

CMS-GT4

Out of curiosity, when you change syncros do you need the whole syncro ring set or just the syncro ring? I am thinking about changing my final drive myself, and I figured since I had it apart I would refresh a syncro or two.

ALLensTRAC

Josh the synchro's come as a set from Toyota. I had to do 4th,2nd, and 3rd so I know that for sure. When you order them tell them yours is a 93 that way you can get the later model synchro's.

Edit: also look at the parts layout as you may need to remove a bearing from the shaft to get the FD off. If that's the case it will need to be replaced as well. I know when I did mine the only thing discontinued was the 3rd shift fork. HTH

CMS-GT4

Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide the cost effectiveness of changing my RC box final drive vs just getting a 205 tranny. I might not need to do any syncros, but if I am in there I figured I might had get to any that looked sort of worn or anything. I guess my biggest concern will be the cost of any specialty tools I need to do the job.

celica_gtx

Yea same looking at gettin a press from harbor freight If I'm gunna be in there I wanna swap out all the bearings. I need to get a price sheet goin

celica_gtx

Do bearings need to be pressed out for it to be fully resealed?

I'm hearing everything from $200-1800 range to just reseal!

Including the kitchen sink needs to be taken out to do it!

I'm in the phx az area if that helps