1988 Alltrac - Fiona - Running and doing just fine

UtahSleeper

What came off my motor. Circled in red on both pics.
028.jpg

The spare head I have.
029.jpg

UtahSleeper

88gt4DE":26r327ju said:
Any numbers on the cams with the protruding parts ?

Not that I have found with some quick looking. I will try and search a little harder, but there is no number as obvious as what is on the original head.

So, took the pistons out. Piston 4 has markings on the top from metal making it there it seems. Plus it seems like one of the PO's marked the pistons with scrapping. Figure I need new pistons or use the pistons from the 3sge that I dismantled. Here is the shape of the pistons and crank. All 4 pistons had movement at the crank, so it was pretty mangled.

In order of front to back.

Piston 1:
001.JPG

007.JPG

011.JPG

Piston 2:
002.JPG

008.JPG

012.JPG

Piston 3:
003.JPG

009.JPG

014.JPG

Piston 4:
004.JPG

010.JPG

015.JPG

So, judging by the crank, would you say this should probably be reuseable after a machine shop visit?

I was honestly surprised not to see more carnage with all the crap in the oil pickup and pan.

So, now I need to start contacting machine shops and get quotes. My plan, theoretically, get a full rebuild kit, reuse the 3sge piston, 5s oil pump(anything needed to make it work) and look into cleaning up one of the heads. My goal is to try and do everything right, but obviously want to save on costs.

The goal is for a stock rebuild. The only performance stuff I plan for later is bolt on(exhaust, front mount, etc).

88gt4DE

I would think the crank could be re-used. Machine shop can tell ya for sure though. May want to re-think the oil pump reusing ... hell that could be why the bearings look the way the did. that and the sludge in the pick up and pan ...

UtahSleeper

88gt4DE":2l7a1z56 said:
I would think the crank could be re-used. Machine shop can tell ya for sure though. May want to re-think the oil pump reusing ... hell that could be why the bearings look the way the did. that and the sludge in the pick up and pan ...

I actually planning on going 5s pump since I hear they have higher pressure. My first alltrac was always low on pressure and that concerned me.

88gt4DE

Oh , I missed that. Sorry long day. Thought that was on the re-use list. :doh: Kewl. Keep us updated ;)

UtahSleeper

88gt4DE":32aeqzgr said:
Oh , I missed that. Sorry long day. Thought that was on the re-use list. :doh: Kewl. Keep us updated ;)

Will do. Hope to get quotes soon. I am just scared lol. I am afraid it will cost a crap ton more then a used motor, which would cause me to rethink. Price also determines hpw quick I get this going, with wedding and bills getting paid off.

88gt4DE

UtahSleeper":33xx3wh9 said:
88gt4DE":33xx3wh9 said:

Will do. Hope to get quotes soon. I am just scared lol. I am afraid it will cost a crap ton more then a used motor, which would cause me to rethink. Price also determines hpw quick I get this going, with wedding and bills getting paid off.

Yeah , I went through it , and then went through it again which pissed me off but at least it wasn't a full re-build. If it happens again It will be down for prol a year while i do a 205 swap.

UtahSleeper

Well, small update. She is about to go into build mode now that my Corolla is down for an extended period of time. Things that are being done or about to be done are as follows:

-Block and crank was taken to machine shop today
-Need to order rebuild items(pistons, gaskets, etc)
-Need front wheel bearings
-Install the Aeroform kit :)
-Finish cleaning the engine bay
-Exhaust(Since PO made it all one piece)

UtahSleeper

760gt4

Nice. Where are you planning on getting the motor from? I'm gonna do a gen4 motor with and st205 trans in my st165 probably later next year.

UtahSleeper

metaldude21":3fvska5x said:
Nice. Where are you planning on getting the motor from? I'm gonna do a gen4 motor with and st205 trans in my st165 probably later next year.

The seller is japan_star_motor on eBay. No bad reviews that I could see and they were quick to reply to my messages prior to purchase.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261596205208?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So, initial impression is good. I will know more when I actually get the product. Seems I should get the motor no later then Oct 1.

88gt4DE

I'll be watching this close. Keep us posted :wink: Make sure all the crap shows up like the map sensor and others ... Heard alot of people getting the whole setup and missing that sensor for some reason ...

UtahSleeper

88gt4DE":2lpftvap said:
I'll be watching this close. Keep us posted :wink: Make sure all the crap shows up like the map sensor and others ... Heard alot of people getting the whole setup and missing that sensor for some reason ...

Thanks. I will try and keep an eye out on that.

MWP

Can see the MAP sensor clearly in the photos of it.

Engine might not have had the easiest life, BLITZ oil cap and blue silicone hoses means someone has had a play with it.

UtahSleeper

MWP":3vhs0riz said:
Can see the MAP sensor clearly in the photos of it.

Engine might not have had the easiest life, BLITZ oil cap and blue silicone hoses means someone has had a play with it.

Yea, I noticed that afterwards lol. Guess I will have to wait and see now.

zaluss

UtahSleeper":2yvgj90z said:
Well, turned out my crank was toast on my original motor. Instead of trying to find a good one and keep using a motor that is the first gen, I decided to get a 4th gen motor :)

So, making a note for myself and posting links to ST215/3sgte related stuff.

http://www.caldina.org/Documents/CaldinaElectrical.pdf

Replacement parts: http://www.primemr2.com/

Wiring(In case I dont try it myself): http://www.wiregapinc.com/

Thanks for these links. All bookmarked. I'll be watching this thread closely as I'm about ready to order my 3rd Gen 3SGTE.

UtahSleeper

Well, small update.

Ordered the engine Thursday, got it Wednesday. Very quick shipping!!!
No over abundance of oil in the intake, but a thin, oily layer on the turbo intake and outlet.
Think the timing belt had been replaced, or is just in really good shape.
Aside from dirt and grime, the exterior looks great.
The IC has seen WAY better days. May have to try and find a new one, but the current should work for initial starting.

So, I filled out and printed off an order form for mr220 and hope to package and ship my harness this weekend or early next week.

While waiting for that I will try and do the following:
Stiffen up the east/west mounts.
Figure out how to mount the passenger side mount.
Get my flywheel/clutch and transmission mounted(I assume I need an alignment tool).
Rebuild and install the original PS pump as I dont want to redo the hoses to use the new pump.

Anything I am missing?

And I know alot of people like to crack open a used motor, and I understand why, but I am planning to just drop this motor in and hope it runs well enough :) Whats the worst that happens, its toast? I wont truly know this till after the warranty us probably up anyway lol.

I will try and post pictures later.