One or two 3sge cams?

NoMan

Hi everyone. Did search the forum, found lots of good stuff like the install guide by tw2, but nothing that could answer my question so i hope you could help.

Im being offered to buy 3sge gen2 camshafts. I wanted to know if there is any benefit from running with both the intake and exhaust 3sge cam or just the intake cam? (if i understood it correctly(which i doubt i little) then your supposed to run the 3age intake cam as a exhaust cam in the 3sgte?)

Can you run with both 3sge cams?

Would it give some gain in torque,hp,spool with both compared to just the intake cam?

Would a adjustable cam gear make it work with both?

Any recommendations?

Im quite new to the 3sgte engine so i hope you can help :notworthy:

NoMan

Yea, already read that thred though. It seems to focus on the cooler gen3 cams but i could use info on the gen2 cams.

underscore

To quote the other thread:

IntakeDegLift (mm)Timing
Gen 2 3SGE2448.57/57
Gen 2 3SGTE2368.28/48

ExhaustDegLift (mm)Timing
Gen 2 3SGE2448.557/7
Gen 2 3SGTE2368.256/0

The Gen2 3SGE cams are the best stock cams you can get for our engines.

NoMan

Well im not to knowledgeable about cams and timing, but i know all the lift/duration infos for the gen 2 and 3 cams.
Just dont know what cam to use where(intake as intake exhaust as exhaust or changed places) and if its better to only use one 3sge cam instead of both.

Its so confusing :(

underscore

Why would you swap the positions of the cams? Not to mention you can't, since one can hook up to the distributor and the other can't.

NoMan

Quote from tw2's install guide: "I and others on the board only recommend using the intake cam only not he exhaust as well due to overlap and overheating issues. Exhaust cam is not warranted with the ct26."

That is why i want more opinions about this matter, preferably from some who have changed the cams on there 3sgte.

Pipedreams

Well, overlap isn´t really an issue with those cams. That´s 14 degrees of overlap at advertised duration. There isn´t much movement of the valve for the first/last ~10degrees. That´s why cams usually show duration at 1mm lift also to give you an idea of the ramp.

NoMan

But then some seems to get overheat problems with them. Thats the thing that scares me with putting them both in.
Ill have to try and pm some people who have driven with them installed and how they have them set up.

Pipedreams

I´d guess they overheat due to a blown headgasket that was on the limit before they changed cams. I´ve run a 3sge gen3 with a st205 manifold and turbo with no problem and there are "hotter" cams available for otherwise stock engines.