88 Alltrac - Restore

zaluss

Its been awhile since I've played the Celica game but I'm back with a vengeance.

Here she is. She's not pretty but she came with a slew of parts and work already done to it.

00202_6qW7JtljdL0_600x450 by MP.Hill, on Flickr

HPIM1934 by MP.Hill, on Flickr

Mmm rusty wheel well. Thankfully after cleaning it up its just surface rust.

HPIM1932 by MP.Hill, on Flickr

HPIM1927 by MP.Hill, on Flickr

The car came with a 2nd Gen 3SGTE with full ECU and harness. Came with a load of parts including piping, intercooler, etc. Downpipe is crushed from a front impact.

alltrac by MP.Hill, on Flickr

Got the trans off and discovered a new pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel. Can't get the damn flywheel bolts off even with impacts. Going to use a little heat to melt the locktite here.

Turbo isn't looking to hot.

Transmission disconnected. I still have one transmission in the engine bay and another in the hatch :smile1:

Here is the engine in the car. Turns over just fine but its been sitting for awhile. Freeze plug in the front of the block is gone, I bet water got inside and froze. After the swap this might be good for a rebuild along with the second head and block in the hatch.

Seen better days.

More parts. Turbo pieces, piping, headlights, body pieces, intercoolers, brackets, alternators, control arms, whole alltrac steering column with key, and more.

Last closeup of the damaged timing cover.

Plans are still in motion. Does Dr. Tweak still make that harness adapter? :amuse:

88gt4DE

Holy wow .... man you got yer work cut out for ya there. Keep the pics coming and good luck. That's a total shame how that thing looks with all the parts in there like that. Good luck with the project man. :smokes:

sinerasis

Wow. I saw the ad for that car earlier... that's a lot of stuff. Remember to post updates! Hope you get her back on the road.

zaluss

sinerasis":p1zb917l said:
Wow. I saw the ad for that car earlier... that's a lot of stuff. Remember to post updates! Hope you get her back on the road.

I literally picked this up an hour after he posted and he even towed it to me :D

Untitled by MP.Hill, on Flickr

Heatgun method works great so far. Pulled a few then my adapter broke and I called it a night.

Lesson learned here. Cheap chrome adapters don't take impact well. I was just too lazy to reach for my impacts.

Here is a nice closeup shot of the crushed downpipe for your viewing pleasure.

zaluss

88gt4DE":2pk4yqw7 said:
Yeah that downpipe is as good as trash ... man it looked to be in good shape too ...

Sadly not anymore :(

Took a few hours today with a buddy to strip down the motor. Didn't get as far as I'd like but here are a few shots from today.

Harness off. Prepping to mail to Dr. Tweak for rebuilding.

Got this anchor off the car. Half the bolts were missing already.

Intake manifold off.

I didn't pay attention to this hard line and it snapped as the exhaust manifold was removed. No worries as this will be replaced with an AN braided line.

Speaking of oil feed lines...

88gt4DE

Shit ... you need an oil pan too and they are getting harder to find. 165 is discontinued OEM ... I just looked for one of those for my brother ...

zaluss

88gt4DE":3g1fmt2t said:
Shit ... you need an oil pan too and they are getting harder to find. 165 is discontinued OEM ... I just looked for one of those for my brother ...

Probably going to go with a Moroso oil pan. On the other hand, I have two other blocks with oil pans (spare 165 block came with the car as well as the one still in the car) that have considerably less dents than this one.

zaluss

Took a closer look at the transmission that came off the 2nd gen 3sgte. Appears to be a E153 w/ LSD but please correct me if I'm wrong. Useless to me so it goes on craigslist.

Started to remove some more accessories like the power steering pump and now the upper belt cover.

Not really sure what the PO did here but it felt apart as soon as I touched it. No matter, I need a celica timing belt cover regardless.

I didn't notice this spacer setup on the intake manifold. I assume this is for the T-VIS system.

The PO told me he put a new water pump and timing belt on. Pretty sure that SCREW is not OEM.

And finally the crank bolt. 125psi on my 1/2" impact combined with heat and PB blaster....this thing would not budge. I guess I'll try again next weekend.

Tecker185

Thts an s54 transmission found in 94-99 fwd Celica's. Non lsd unfortunately, that fillips head screw is oem. It has to be shallow like that or it would rub on the belt. Its a bitch to remove when the engine is in the car because it likes to strip.

88gt4DE

Hmmm .. i didnt know that about the gen 2 motor with that phillips screw. That's different from the 165. Read up on deleting the TVIS system. You can see on my build what happened to me last year around this time AFTER my fresh rebuild ... And I didn't mess with those screws at all ...

zaluss

Tecker184":136cyggu said:
Thts an s54 transmission found in 94-99 fwd Celica's. Non lsd unfortunately, that fillips head screw is oem. It has to be shallow like that or it would rub on the belt. Its a bitch to remove when the engine is in the car because it likes to strip.

Thanks for the insight. Yes it does appear to be a S54 transmission non-lsd. The screw appears to be OEM after looking at a few guides.

88gt4DE":136cyggu said:
Hmmm .. i didnt know that about the gen 2 motor with that phillips screw. That's different from the 165. Read up on deleting the TVIS system. You can see on my build what happened to me last year around this time AFTER my fresh rebuild ... And I didn't mess with those screws at all ...

Interesting. I'll explore removing the T-VIS system. I've read some reports of some bad stuff happening.

I need to replace the timing belt covers however I read somewhere that the MR2 and Celica lower belt covers were different but I wasn't sure if that was just for gen3 3sgte. Anyone have the answer to that?

zaluss

Finally pulled off all the accessories and the oil pan. Looks good so far, no pieces of metal anywhere. The dent in the oil pan thankfully didn't damage anything that I can tell however I don't have enough experience to really look at it by eye. Unfortunately I misplaced my socket to remove the head bolts so that'll have to wait until next weekend.

zaluss

Doh I forgot to set the engine to TDC before I removed the timing belt. Is it safe to the remove the head with the cams intact without damaging anything?

zaluss

Today made some progress. Engine removed:

Disconnected everything and used the hoist to drop the motor on a rolly thing I bought.

Roll her out after I raised up the car. No pictures while it was in progress sadly.

I forgot about this as it slide out of the drive shaft. Left a nice huge puddle of fluid all over my garage.

Rear engine shot. The passenger side axle bolts were all stripped so I left it on during removal.

Minor surface rust near the battery area. Everything else looks pretty damn clean.

My apartment manager stopped by and watched me do this in utter awe. She laughed and said she definitely wants to see the finished project. Until next weekend...

88gt4DE

I'm sure that's not what yer Apartment manager was really thinking :lol: Those axles pop out so you dont have to mess with those bolts if yer axle boots look ok ...