5S Crank in 3S block compression question.

toybota

So I want to use the 5S crank out of my parts car to stroke my 3S-GTE out, I am going to get rods, pistons, new bearings, ARP fasteners and all that. But what is a good compression ratio to aim for? To keep stock compression,8.8:1 I would have to get a 0.6mm thicker head gasket. What Compression ratios are you guys running on stroked engines?

Pipedreams

Depends on what boost and fuel you´re gonna run. I´m at 10.2:1 but I will run up to 40psi of boost with e85. With low boost and gasoline 8.8 would be fine. With the increased displacement it will take less boost to make the same power as before.

toybota

I plan on building the engine fully. It will be used as a daily driver so 91 octane and lower boost would be for sure. I do not want to push over 20 psi, as I've heard that 20 for a 3S is a reliable pressure to run. So on pump gas with 20ish psi would running 8.8:1 be best?

ST_6396

Anything around 9:1 or less would be fine. Even if compression ends up a little higher than 9:1 it should still be fine, but you'll have to go with a bit less ignition timing, a slightly richer air fuel mixture or water/meth injection(the option i would consider most). You also want to make sure you have a turbo that's able to efficiently work where you want it to.

toybota

Pipedreams":1wndd5pb said:
Depends on what boost and fuel you´re gonna run. I´m at 10.2:1 but I will run up to 40psi of boost with e85. With low boost and gasoline 8.8 would be fine. With the increased displacement it will take less boost to make the same power as before.

Just out of curiosity and in the interest of learning more about the S series engine, if I run about 20 PSI and use the 5S crank with cams, rods, front mount, exhaust, fuel and all that fun stuff what kind of power should I be expecting? I know it is a difficult question but what would your ball park be?

ST_6396

Boost pressure is just a number, horsepower is made with efficient airflow. With a properly sized turbo you will make more power with less boost pressure than with an undersized turbo like the ct26. It's important to read compressor maps and find a properly sized turbo for your goals.

toybota

Pipedreams":3bzufk5a said:
There are to many variables to give a good guess but with 2,2l and 20psi you should get passed 400hp.

Thanks! I know there are a ton of variables, but I don't want to go in expecting more than I'll get. 400 sounds nice.