ST205 Turbo Condition Question

MST Engineer

I'm on the hunt for a clean ST205 swap for a ST185 that I'm build. I'm having a hard time finding a clean one from a reputable company. A few friends of mine have purchased from jdmracingmotors.com but the only one that they have has the turbo pictured below. I don't claim to be an expert but none of the Subaru turbos that I have worked on had wear like this. Is this normal amount of where and will it need the turbo replaced? Does anyone know any other reputable engine sellers they have personal experience with?

spitfiremk16

I have had good luck with jdmenginezone.com. I bought an st185 engine and eg civic transmission from them and both were in really good shape. It looks like the paint is just worn off of the compressor blades if im not mistaken. As long as there is no dents or chips taken out of the compressor blades you should be ok. Also check for up and down and side to side shaft play on the turbo.

underscore

What do you mean by wear? The wheel is dirty, but shaft play and visible wheel damage are what you're worried about here.

MST Engineer

Wear in the coating or paint. I haven't seen chipping paint like that on other turbos so wasn't sure it was normal. Im still waiting to hear back from them about shaft play.

MWP

There is no paint/coating on the blades... the black stuff you see there is dirty oil/carbon.
The areas where you think its chipped away is how its meant to look when clean :)

MST Engineer

Thats what I have heard. After some feedback from MR2 forrum I ended up buying that one. Looking forward to gettibg it in a few weeks.