Opinions on what to do with BHG or the like

chiefum

Hello, my name is Brandon. I bought a 1988 Toyota All Trac that is overheating. My mechanic said it is getting aeration in cooling system under load. I am totally new to working on Japanese cars. I would like to know what options I should look at? Do I go further to see if it is a BHG or something else and repair what I have. Or do I look into engine swaps. What are some options for changing the engine or trans or both. Do I stick with the ST165 or what possibilities are out there for swaps...ST185 or ??? I appreciate any help I can get as I am new to these cars. Sorry if I sound like a newb....I have posted some pics in the introduction area of the forum.

88gt4DE

Kinda depends on your goals for hp and performance and if you have access to a garage to work on it a little at a time. Lots of directions you can go in but sometimes gonna tear it apart a little to see what ya have to work with. Btw ... Welcome and good luck with the project. 8)

chiefum

I guess I would like to improve performance from stock....I am not looking at anything crazy like 500hp...I wouldn't mind getting into the 250hp - 300hp range....but I am not sure what that would all involve. I purchased the car in Wisconsin but the car is from California, so it is rust free and in good shape and has around 130,000 miles. I do have a garage to work in...I am used to working on older American cars...but my brother in law has experience with some Japanese cars.

88gt4DE

Once you get all the crap around it out of the way exhaust , turbo , intake its really not that bad to take apart. If you take the head off alone the worst part is the rear intake support bars. Rust free is a huge plus to start and 250 -300 is a good range to think of if yer no going for a monster. Same page I'm on 8)

underscore

Definitely confirm what the issue is before you go any further, get a compression and leakdown test for starters.

chiefum

Where would I look for an engine to swap? I have seen some on ebay....has anyone from here purchased from ebay? Is there a good seller? I think I may be leaning towards swapping out to a st185...but I'm not sure yet. I just want to be able to drive my new toy...lol

chiefum

soarer.jzz30":3j70nkwi said:
Just get a st205 gen3. Retains your wta set up. Plus give you 265ho stock. Can't lose

Are there any wiring issues that would need to be addressed with the st205... I will try to search for some more swap info...but that sounds better to me. Thank you.

underscore

soarer.jzz30":1otey977 said:
Just get a st205 gen3. Retains your wta set up. Plus give you 265ho stock. Can't lose

Unless his problem is something minor, in which case he'll waste a bunch of money.

underscore

It is if his current problem is something easy to fix. Believe me, I've both lost and saved large amounts of money from small issues being misdiagnosed as larger ones. I'd be 100% sure of the problem before pulling out the motor and doing a swap.

soarer.jzz30

If you've got the money to spend then hey why not. But if he just wants to get her going again and get the gen1 to 300 hp I suppose it would be worth at least determining the problem first