Stock Sway Bar equivalent spring rate

fhalperformance

I was wondering if anyone had any details on the equivalent spring rate of the factory front and rear sway bars. I have not been able to locate the information through search and would really like to know what they are. I tried calculating the rates and I got about 200 lbs/in front and 150 lbs/in rear does that sound about right? I am looking at ordering coilovers soon and would like to get the rate as close as possible to established handling setups the first time. I intend to go sway bar less on this build and would like to get it pretty close so as to not revalve immediately after a custom build. Thanks guys.

Mafix

I got like 50 for the front bar. with the 5 million bends, and the 10 ft fulcrum length. you may want to check that again. and depending on what rear bar you have...I didn't think the stock one was that high. 13mm diameter right?

I took OFF my front sway bar and there was NO difference.

phattyduck

200/150 sounds way too high. Get a swaybar calculator and enter some good guesses for numbers.

I bet you only need to bump up your spring rates by 25 or 50 to compensate for the lack of swaybars. Once you quadruple or more your rates (for otherwise appropriate rates for circuit driving), the stock swaybars won't make much difference.

-Charlie

Mafix

you need to know the exact race weight w/ driver, and front weight and rear weight. i can't just throw up a number for ya

fhalperformance

I was originally thinking 10k front and 8k rear but if my assumed sway bar rates are significantly off I'd probably run something softer to start. I haven't finalized my setup accessory and option wise so I have no accurate weight distribution or other specs needed to be accurate. My first setup will merely be for testing purposes before I spring for an expensive set of coilovers. I just want a more streetavle setup for when it's time to sell the original set to increase the possibility of a sale. I may split the difference between my first idea for spring rates and an established handling setup since I have to order before I get the car back together.

Mafix

alltrac...i'd GUESS 10k front and 8k rear. that's my best guess for a no sway bar setup. personally i use 8k front and 4k rear with a 21mm rear sway bar. it doesn't ride like a brick but it's really stiff and track ready.

fhalperformance

I lined up a coilover set through a manufacturer that comes with 4 additional sets of different spring rates so I can test & tune for less then retail money of the original set. I'll have pairs of 6k spares for rear, 8k spares for front, 10k spares for rear, 12k spares for front. I can run every setup from 8k front 6k rear to 12k front 10k rear so I can get the right ride. Ill do some testing on the street before I go to watkins glen so I dont have to waste time swapping spring rates around unless I find the setup needs improvement. I got most of the parts to get my car back together right now and will be ordering suspension shortly. Hoping to test in may once I get my fuel system parts together.