What to expect to pay for a clean, stock 1993?

dragstang86

I have been keeping an eye out for some time now for a clean, stock (or very close to stock) 1993. I have found a white one that is clean, with over 100k on chassis but engine has been rebuilt. The owner isn't "trying" to sell it but is open to selling it.

So my question is, what would be a fair price, good price or great price on such on clean, stock 1993 with over 100k on chassis? It is so seldom that one pops up for sale, it is hard to get a good grasp on a market price.

93 is a more sought after year, but a clean car with 100k on the chassis I wouldn't be surprised if that guy could get 7500-9k for that car. Depends on the enthusiast that's going after it tho.

N8wrx

I would agree with the above. Keep in mind these cars mostly have a lot of issues, mainly rust so its really almost like paper "collectable" goods. AKA condition condition condition. If hes only got 100k on the chassis but its as clean as the plate you eat off and all other items are in good working order i really wouldn't doubt 9k+ possible. There are some openly for sale but most of the time they are rotted out in one if not more locations or need some major work (engine blown, tranny blown, multiple suspension/brake repairs needed). Keep in mind limiting yourself to a 93 only is really hurting you as well because as far as most can tell i believe there were like 81?? (correct me if im wrong guys) made in 93. I believe (again correction may be needed) there are only 280 something in 92 and the majority of the rest 90/91. Maybe there is a specific reason you would like a 93 and thats cool but just wanted to let you know really how much of a needle in a haystack kinda thing a 93 is. If there looking to sell it only to a collector a 93 would be top dollar in clean condition, having it be stock your looking at even more. This is one of the main reasons im restoring the 92 i have back to original condition (reason being there are only 200 something in the whole US, minus cars in junk yards and already turned into cans.) and im a collector that will keep the car for the rest of my life.

You are correct, 81 were sold in the us in 1993.

I have my own needle in a haystack and that's finding a metallic teal all trac :)

Lamont

N8wrx":3djlx5u8 said:
I would agree with the above. Keep in mind these cars mostly have a lot of issues, mainly rust so its really almost like paper "collectable" goods. AKA condition condition condition. If hes only got 100k on the chassis but its as clean as the plate you eat off and all other items are in good working order i really wouldn't doubt 9k+ possible. There are some openly for sale but most of the time they are rotted out in one if not more locations or need some major work (engine blown, tranny blown, multiple suspension/brake repairs needed). Keep in mind limiting yourself to a 93 only is really hurting you as well because as far as most can tell i believe there were like 81?? (correct me if im wrong guys) made in 93. I believe (again correction may be needed) there are only 280 something in 92 and the majority of the rest 90/91. Maybe there is a specific reason you would like a 93 and thats cool but just wanted to let you know really how much of a needle in a haystack kinda thing a 93 is. If there looking to sell it only to a collector a 93 would be top dollar in clean condition, having it be stock your looking at even more. This is one of the main reasons im restoring the 92 i have back to original condition (reason being there are only 200 something in the whole US, minus cars in junk yards and already turned into cans.) and im a collector that will keep the car for the rest of my life.

To clear things up there were more 92-93 Alltrac/GTFOUR's produced world wide. Toyota had to make at least 5000 of each model year in order to compete in the WRC, but the numbers imported to the US were low for 92 and even lower for 93. Sales were not too great for the 90-91 model years because these cars were very expensive when new so Toyota loaded the US versions with all the bells and whistles like sunroof, system 10 stereo system, leather seats etc. to help justify the sticker price. HTH

Lamont

dragstang86

I understand the rarity of the 1993's which is exactly why I want one. I currently have a heavily modded 1992 that I would be selling and replacing with the 1993.

I'll give some more details on the car: It has about 180k on the chassis but only 60 on the engine. Enthusiast owned and spent much of it's life in Texas followed by a lot of sitting in a garage. Completely stock except for a 50 trim turbo and JDM transmission but all that still appears stock. Only issues are a dent from a bump in the garage, a small exhaust leak in the flex pipe, needs a new upper strut mount and a new nylon gear for the speedometer. He is willing to sell it as is, or fixed, when he gets around to it, for a higher price of course. Other than that it is said to be VERY clean inside and out with no rust. Reputable seller that is well known within the enthusiast community.

So what are you guys thinking a good price for it AS IS would be?

N8wrx

Lamont":c8jzhym6 said:
N8wrx":c8jzhym6 said:

To clear things up there were more 92-93 Alltrac/GTFOUR's produced world wide. Toyota had to make at least 5000 of each model year in order to compete in the WRC, but the numbers imported to the US were low for 92 and even lower for 93. Sales were not too great for the 90-91 model years because these cars were very expensive when new so Toyota loaded the US versions with all the bells and whistles like sunroof, system 10 stereo system, leather seats etc. to help justify the sticker price. HTH

Lamont

Yea my post was more so aimed at the "All-Trac" vs a gt4 as gt4's are not elligable for import as full cars.

dragstang86":c8jzhym6 said:
I understand the rarity of the 1993's which is exactly why I want one. I currently have a heavily modded 1992 that I would be selling and replacing with the 1993.

I'll give some more details on the car: It has about 180k on the chassis but only 60 on the engine. Enthusiast owned and spent much of it's life in Texas followed by a lot of sitting in a garage. Completely stock except for a 50 trim turbo and JDM transmission but all that still appears stock. Only issues are a dent from a bump in the garage, a small exhaust leak in the flex pipe, needs a new upper strut mount and a new nylon gear for the speedometer. He is willing to sell it as is, or fixed, when he gets around to it, for a higher price of course. Other than that it is said to be VERY clean inside and out with no rust. Reputable seller that is well known within the enthusiast community.

So what are you guys thinking a good price for it AS IS would be?

Well with this info from a collectors stand point it is considered far from stock even though appearance would be similar, this drops the value for a collector stand point but may increase the value for a enthusiast buyer looking to modify the car anyway (all really depends on the buyer per say) St205 tranny is a much better option but in my case as im a collector i will be rebuilding my original st185 transmission as this is what my personal goal is. It also needs body work and other work tho the body is in above average condition. As far as mileage goes on a car, i usually base my values off the true chassis miles not miles on a new engine as a car is not only a engine. I would say for a car in this range (my opinion and others may vary) your looking in the 6,000-7,500 range AS IS. This is pretty rough as i havent truely seen/ driven/ heard the car itself.

underscore

N8wrx":30tap1dy said:
Yea my post was more so aimed at the "All-Trac" vs a gt4 as gt4's are not elligable for import as full cars.

You're getting pretty close though, isn't the magic age 25 years down there?

N8wrx

I only know this because i import cars as well but unfortunately this does not apply to cars that are built in the US. So for an example i will use the Nissan skyline (r32 and r34 models are banned for life for importing BTW, so ill use a r33 for example) If a skyline r33 is 25 years old you are allowed to import these as a Nissan skyline of any kind was never produced in the U.S.A under any name (this is associated via chassis so the new GTR doesnt classify as the same car. Hence why a r32 and r34 cant be imported and a r33 could be because they have different chassis classifications). As for cars like the gt4/alltrac or for another example a toyota supra these cars are not eligable for import as they were also built in the U.S. (the name being all trac vs gt4 has no effect, it is considered to a RI as the same car) it would be the same if there never was an all-trac version released in the U.S and only a FWD model as they share the same chassis design they are deemed non-eligable.

underscore":n6vvanh2 said:
N8wrx":n6vvanh2 said:

You're getting pretty close though, isn't the magic age 25 years down there?

PS: This doesnt mean its IMPOSSIBLE to import them, there is a slight loop hole (legal loophole) but it is expensive and the car is still outlawed on standard U.S. roads. Your allowed to import cars for "racing" purposes, in order to do this is a very involved process with a RI and extreamly expensive. There is also a yearly fee they tack on as a sort of tax to do this and as i said you cant drive the car on any U.S. road they have to be trailered and cant be legally registered in any state.

underscore

I could've sworn the R32 was legal down there once it passed 25 years, I know of a few that were local to me that were sold to Americans in TX, WA and CA.

mx6er2587

yep 25 years is the magic number. Then the number of hoops you have to jump through while juggling flaming chainsaws goes way down.

Yeah at the beginning of this year I know someone had the first street legal r32 imported to Washington. I'm gonna give it a try next year when the 1990 celicas can be imported.

Just out of curiosity, in the uk they sold a lhd gt4, do you think you could get away with importing these?

N8wrx

Most r32's or r34's that are in the states are either grey market cars or in the case of the majority of the r32's they were imported prior to the ban being put in place. No new r32's or r34's will ever be allowed past a RI (the inspector who maintains the strict list of items in every shipping container). There are what they call "grey market" cars which is basically shipping the body and the guts of the car in different containers on different ships. Most RI's will not even let a chassis by unless its cut into pieces (hence why you see front and rear clips for sale so often). No gt4 would be allowed past a RI either, the only way i could think of to get one here would be a grey market car which is illegal or shipping it to Canada and somehow trying to drive it across the boarder trying to pass it off as a normal commuter car this again is illegal.

xxwiseguyxx781

I currently own a 1993 alltrac celica black. I got it from my brother in law only had to wait ten years for him to sell it to me. I would never part with the car. Its not a DD i leave it in my garage and use it more of a weekends and holidays car.

crymson

I paid $4500 a year ago for a 93 with 99k miles. It has a bad paint job, a bad body kit, hadn't been through emissions in 7 years, threw a check engine light, e-break light was always on, door sensor light was always on, something is wrong with the ABS, the tires are shot, the rear window leaks, etc, etc. But, it's rust free, compression is acceptable (but a little low), the turbo spools and has very little play, and the interior is also in acceptable shape.

mx6er2587

N8wrx":3k201eoq said:
Most r32's or r34's that are in the states are either grey market cars or in the case of the majority of the r32's they were imported prior to the ban being put in place. No new r32's or r34's will ever be allowed past a RI (the inspector who maintains the strict list of items in every shipping container). There are what they call "grey market" cars which is basically shipping the body and the guts of the car in different containers on different ships. Most RI's will not even let a chassis by unless its cut into pieces (hence why you see front and rear clips for sale so often). No gt4 would be allowed past a RI either, the only way i could think of to get one here would be a grey market car which is illegal or shipping it to Canada and somehow trying to drive it across the boarder trying to pass it off as a normal commuter car this again is illegal.

the oldest R32 is now over 25 years old. You no longer have to go through an RI to bring them into the country.

N8wrx

mx6er2587":21bnjwxw said:
the oldest R32 is now over 25 years old. You no longer have to go through an RI to bring them into the country.

Anything imported to the states has to go through a RI, there are no exceptions. Even a car 25 years old needs to be passed via a RI. A r32 and r34 is a exception to the 25 year rule as it has been federally outlawed for import EVER. There will never be any NEW whole r32's or r34's allowed to cross into the states. Grey market is a different story but is also illegal. I import cars so i know this is the 100% truth as i deal with RI's whenever parts/ cars are shipped here.

If you want some background on R32's and R34's and the reason they were banned for life the cause is the original company that started importing them years ago called Motorex. This company crash tested R32s to figure out the DOT safety requirements needed. They patented this information so no one has access to it. They then wanted to import R34's as they were becoming more popular than the other skyline models for obvious reasons and would make them more $. This next part is where they screwed everyone else over, they didn't go through the same process with the r34 as they did with the r32 and basically tried to pass the cars off as the same chassis so they didn't have to go through the expense and time for the new models. They were telling RI's the r32 shared the same electrical system as the r34 which it didn't and one RI got wind of this. They ended up banning R32 and R34 cars for life from importing because of this lie they were told. So as a exception to the rule none will ever be allowed past the port. There are however many Motorex cars still in the states along with cars that were imported prior to this ban (my friend actually has 5 of these in his garage) and grey market cars. If the car is a Motorex car with a valid U.S. vin it is fully legal and registrable. If the car is grey market and found it will be crushed. If the car is in prior to the ban but not with a legal VIN it can only be used as a offroad car and registering it or not providing import documentation if asked to, it will also be crushed if found.

Heres some pics from my buddies barn to prove to you i truly do know what im talking about... (keep in mind these are prior to ban, non motorex, offroad only cars. So they have been sitting for a while.)

Nissan Pulsar GTiR
pulsar4.jpg

Jun built motor R32 GTR
junskyline1.jpg

junskyline2.jpg

White R32
500hpskyline1.jpg

500hpskyline2.jpg

grey R32 stock
stockskyline1.jpg

peteleetzor

anyways getting back on to topic,

I got really lucky my 93, all stock/rust free with roughly 120k miles cost me 4.2k craiglist powaaaaa 8)

anyways I wouldnt be surprised if there is some in better condition that can sell for 7k+ And besides I thinks going to be pretty rare to find one on CL or auto dealer site. Actaully I think maybe close to a 1/3 of all the 93 alltracs can be tracked on the project page anyway.

crymson

We accounted for 15-20 of them a few months ago. I would suspect that's at least 1/3 of the remaining USDM 93's.