gas tank for 1990 alltrac

kdog74

Hello everybody, I need a new gas tank. Does anyone know if I can use a different trim model tank for my car?
thanks.

fhalperformance

Very hard to find. Im having an aluminum reproduction made right now and they will be available for sale. Check the group buy section for updates.

kdog74

Thanks for the feed back...I cant believe they would change the gas tank for awd...seems they be the same, but, why did I ask. Well, anyways I dropped the tank today. Not to bad at all, it will be ok...just some trash and alittle rust...got stuff already to fix the problem. I think the fuel filter was never changed. different pump thou. Thanks

Meenya

kdog74":2lyqah0p said:
Thanks for the feed back...I cant believe they would change the gas tank for awd...seems they be the same, but, why did I ask. Well, anyways I dropped the tank today. Not to bad at all, it will be ok...just some trash and alittle rust...got stuff already to fix the problem. I think the fuel filter was never changed. different pump thou. Thanks

Por 15 makes product to restore fuel tanks.
You really think it should have been identical fuel tank on a 4WD and FWD vehicle? Think about it again:)

kdog74

I,ll look it up, I got some crc 3-36 chemical I,m using on the tank. Tank has rust all in it, but, its not thick.

kdog74

I know. Been working on cars since 1994 to present in the field now four 3 years. See you had 87 gts. I had a 86 gts for 13 years, couldn't blow her up.

ALLensTRAC

As recommended above use the POR-15 kit. I used it on mine to eliminate the minimal rust I had on mine and it worked great!!
Before:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397604262.247580.jpg

After:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397604327.682248.jpg

Sorry for the phone pics but the tank is on the floor in the second pic in between the shelving. For underside repair and clean up POR really is awesome stuff! Besides I don't think a gas tank would enjoy a powder coating oven lol!!! Oh btw if you're going through the whole thing the level sensor gasket is not available separate so try not to rip it. All the other gaskets are still available from Toyota as are all the mounting screws.

kdog74

Cool, I really appreciate the advice and pics. So, did you just pour in the tank and roll it around, and, let it sit? for how long?

kdog74

I just did a quick look on por 15. I seen a red one gallon can, that said paint on it. Then I seen white quart size bottle. Not sure if I found right ne yet.

ALLensTRAC

I am sorry but I didn't clarify better. If you have "internal" rust then you will need their gas tank repair kit. This is sold as a set with directions. Google their site and you can see what's included. I had "external" rust near the pump hanger which required removing the OEM coating and applying the POR. I had planned to use the internal kit but I got lucky with the condition on the inside.

underscore

kdog74":9ro0czgk said:
I know. Been working on cars since 1994 to present in the field now four 3 years. See you had 87 gts. I had a 86 gts for 13 years, couldn't blow her up.

Good to hear, you just never know when talking to someone on the internet how familiar they are with things. I miss my 87 like crazy, first car I ever bought and the only car I've ever let go. It spun a bearing at 468xxx km because I was a stupid teenager and because I was a stupid teenager I couldn't fix it.