Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Cuttyman9

I've been working with Techno Toy Tuning to bring more to the 5th gen culture (and indirectly to 4th and 6th gens too).

So far they have adjustable rear control arms in stock, I've been testing the prototype for roughly 2 months now with no problems and much better control of the rear of the car.

Currently I'm working with them to bring roll center adjusters to the table in the form of an extended ball joint (to reduce bump steer) and also top plates for the struts to allow adjustment of camber on cars that don't have coilovers and also some that provide caster adjustment for the front of the cars.

I'm curious how much interest there is in more suspension related components, maybe even some engine related stuff and body if the market is there. they are working on stocking rear visors for hatchbacks, there is a good deal of demand for coupe visors as well but so far there is no one in the area (Sacramento, Ca) to experiment and test on.

Also if anyone is interested in a 5th gen group on facebook PM me, its the best way to influence whats built for these at T3 and to see what comes out.

ALLensTRAC

Ahhh so your the one T3 has been prototyping stuff on!! We would all love the roll center adjusters! They sent me an email in response and told me they had a 5th gen in for testing. Do you have any pics for the ball joint? Also look at the bump steer thread in handling and braking. It was created by gtfour77 but CMS took it over and was working with T3 for the ball joint. There is quite a bit of interest in this!!!

I'm sure they could sell an arm kit for the alltrac too but it would be different to a fwd 5th gen. Do you have any pics of your arm set? What size heims did they use? High misalignment or standard? Any idea on materials used?

Cuttyman9

haha yeah I'm the one working on prototypes for all this stuff. I've built a group on facebook all about getting these ideas brought out to make these cars grip the road for 5th gens only cuz I feel they are under represented or they only are shown with gaudy paint and body bits.

I've been talking to CMS about a lot of different things, there's a few things in the air right now.
the ball joints are my main priority because they suit Alltracs and fwd Celicas as well as 4th and 6th gens as well and the cars really need them if they are lowered. I've hashed out the tie rod flip in the form of MR2 parts, so they don't offer a kit per say but they offer half of the parts.

The part I've had trouble with is they aren't making these parts priority. I've been using the group to get people to send bunches of emails to draw in some motivation and I know of one guy who's bought the st184 links outside of mine yet they seem to be more focused elsewhere. I should be visiting this next week (they ordered parts to make adjustable sway bar end links) and I will be measuring a few things so I can have them build some camber plates for our chassis (and caster adjustable front ones) (while I was there I found AW11 rear ones are almost the same as my celica rear ones)

The links use 5/8" heim joints with stainless reducers to fit either the supplied bolts or the stock bolts, the links are 6061 I believe and are 1" in diameter.
The effect the have on the car (mines paired with an ST rear sway bar and megan racing coilovers) is huge, they make the rear much more solid.

I've had people offer to send in parts off their cars to make alltrac stuff from but I think its better to find someone local with a day to spare to be a guinea pig, I think I have someone lined up but I need initiative from both parties lol which is a pain to gather to say the least.

The group pulls together a lot of good ideas, most are a little out there in terms for market feasibility but lots of potential.

Ive always wondered why there are so few parts on the market for these cars and I decided I should change that. This benefits me (even if I can build this stuff on my own) and everyone else with a 5th gen. These cars have a huge amount of potential that is completely untapped.

If there's something anyone is interested in seeing made post it up. Do remember that not everything will be made because there really needs to be like 10-15 people wanting it for it to be valid to build but it is definitely good to get ideas flowing.

Meenya

We need front Top mounts to adjust for caster. It's very easy to do camber with camber bolts.
For both 4WD and FWD we need at least 3 degree of negative camber for best handling on track. Driving everyday with such camber will kill the tire in no time but with the right amount of caster you can set it less aggressive ~ - 1.5 and it will increase as you turn the wheel so you get the camber you need for great handling and long lasting tires:)

underscore

Meenya":2apnglsy said:
We need front Top mounts to adjust for caster. It's very easy to do camber with camber bolts.
For both 4WD and FWD we need at least 3 degree of negative camber for best handling on track. Driving everyday with such camber will kill the tire in no time but with the right amount of caster you can set it less aggressive ~ - 1.5 and it will increase as you turn the wheel so you get the camber you need for great handling and long lasting tires:)

If you swap the top mounts then you can get caster and use camber bolts to adjust the camber.

CMS-GT4

So are they finally moving on the top plates, or do I need to get back to them with some measurements?

Also you might want to rename the thread to draw more attention. I even was passing it by.

I am not sure which visor your getting made. While I don't want either design, I know there was a big demand for the JDM version, which is very different than the GTO version.

MWP

I hope they use large spherical bearings in them.
The fronts get quite a hammering with stiff springs/dampers and the front end weight.

ALLensTRAC

MWP":2y8u1zah said:
I hope they use large spherical bearings in them.
The fronts get quite a hammering with stiff springs/dampers and the front end weight.

I believe this is for a set for the rear. If one was to fabricate lower arms for the front what do you think would be acceptable? Say 3/4 or 1"? I didn't really want to add heims in the front but in the rear of mine I've got 5/8 chromoly heims with 1" swedged aluminum tube. I also boxed the toe arm eccentric area on the frame due to the large slot for adjustment.

Cuttyman9

Have a suggestion for a new thread name?

They are set on specs for the top mounts, he measured my car in the front and rear.
He mentioned top camber adjustment in the rear through opening up the hole in the top, for those who want quick camber adjustment and toe adjustment through the control links.

No plans for front A arms are in the works but would be an idea for the future.

The visor being acquired is the GTS one, not the Jdm one. I can't even figure out how or who would make a jdm version but isn't that the one that mounts on a painted surface? Vs the glass?

Cuttyman9

Today I have some epic news!

Paid a visit to T3 (technotoytuning.com)
They actually are very confident in the Extended ball joint working with only minor mods.
I gave them the green light to mod my spindle and start testing the ball joints they have in stock to match the factory taper.

Additionally they took measurements for front and rear camber plates for those who are stance addicts. The front ones will have the option to have caster adjustment for the grip junkies.

They have the adjustable rear control links for the 184/182 chassis in stock and ready to order.

The 185 rear links are in need of a local guinea pig, they will offer a considerable discount to said guinea pig.

They are still working on visors for the hatch but apparently the company who makes them is miserable at communication and is making things ultra slow. I think we should all thank me when they get them in stock because they have actually been putting in a ton of work to get them.

And lastly there may just be some ITB's in the future. It looks to be a promising project. I will keep everyone informed!

CMS-GT4

I don't know. T3 custom suspension parts and development

If we do find out my strut is different in size than oem, then I bet they could just use a different bearing. It would be custom, but its an option.

Once I hear they are getting closer I'll start tearing down my suspension so I can get it in straight away.

I am sure there are more pics of it here:
There is one on this page. I could had sworn there was a rectangular section in the middle though.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3983&start=75

ALLensTRAC

That's good to hear regarding the ball joint!! I'm even more happy considering you have IS350 front rotors so you can report if the new joints will decrease clearance to the rear rotor face(something I worried about looking at pics of Martins joints). I assume they will take this into consideration.

I guess I would be interested in rear camber plates although I'm in the same boat as Josh as I have coilovers not stock struts. To reiterate the fronts would be made to adjust camber and caster correct?

Here's another idea: how about a C-clipped sleeve to fit inside the front control arm, rear bushing mount to hold a standard spherical? Or a set for both arm mounts? Maybe a bit extreme for street use but I was just throwing it out there.

underscore

I'm sorry but how would ITB's work on a boosted motor? Something like the setup on an RB26?

Also is there any info on the width of the new balljoints? IE would they stick out more, less or the same as the stock ones towards the brake rotor?

Cuttyman9

Most of T3's stuff uses standard sizes with stainless adapters so unless its a massive shaft it could just be that it needs a different size.
When I was looking at the spherical part they unclip and can be changed out.

The itb's are for the 5s.

I don't have any plans of 3s stuff only because I don't have one.

My is350 rotors actually sit farther away from the ball joint than the subie kit.
I think in terms of how close the ball joint is toward the rotor will require it to be solidified in prototype form prior to actually knowing if it will clear with room to spare.
In my head I thought the spindle angled the opposite direction, I will certainly keep that in mind next time I'm there.

The camber plates will more than likely fit a multitude of parts, from stock to aftermarket. I can check the sizes if my Megan racing coilovers To confirm.
These cars need all the caster they can get.
As for what other coilovers they fit? That will be up to the individual to take theirs apart and measure. Initially they will be designed for stock struts. Then variations will be made for the tiens and Megan's mostly because those are prolly the most popular ones. Can anyone confirm that the top rear alltrac plates are the same as the fwd ones? When I sold that set of st185 coilovers I remembered they looked similar but didn't check.

Cuttyman9

The ball joint is still in the basic stages, it's not solidified as an entire unit just yet.
Hopefully it will be soon that there's a prototype I can test to verify some questions.

Fastest way to reach me is through FB (pm me for more info)
Add me and I'll stick you in the group where you can see everything first hand.

Cuttyman9

Anyone know how to change the title?

I got a rude response from someone on Toyota nation for posting a bunch and not knowing how to delete the posts prior lol figured rather than just starting another I'd ask.