Windshield washer pump

Stubble

I'm not getting any fluid spray when I turn on either the front or rear sprayer. With the engine off, I don't hear any pump sounds, but I'm not sure if it would be loud enough to hear. The wipers work fine, so I don't think it's the fuse (looking at the wiring diagram, it shares the same fuse).

Does anyone know of a way to test just the pump itself? How hard is it to remove the pump? I can't even see the pump, as I think it is hidden behind the fender inner liner. Any advice would be appreciated.

Gary

The washer motor is next to the washer bottle.
There is a plug with 3 terminals.
Hook them up with a battery
The middle one is +
The others are - , one side is for the front and another is for the rear.
Hook it one side at a time, (+ and - )and see if the motor's working.
Test must be done within 20 seconds otherwise, you will burn the coil.

Stubble

Gary,
Is the pump and connector visible from the top of the engine? I can see a cylindrical gray connector between the washer reservoir and the fender. I don't see the pump - all I see in that area is the ABS controller.

alltracman78

Pump is on the bottom of the reservior. Remove the front of the pass side fender cover. You will see the reservior and the pump (it's black, with hoses coming off it).

Gary

Look like this:
washerpump.jpg

smoothray

hey stubble, can you tell me the outcome...if it was bad afterall, i'm having the same exact problem. i was wondering the likelyhood of a washer pump even going out?? thanks, gary MD

Stubble

:shoots: So NAPA and Canadian Tire don't stock the correct washer pump. Their books list two separate pumps for '90-93 Celicas - one each for the front and rear washers. Ours has both in the same pump body. I'm going to check some wreckers for base Celica pumps. Failing that, OEM!

Smoothray, it's easy to get in there (remove the right undercover and half the right fender liner). The tough part is getting alligator clips on the 3 pins, if you test it without removing it. If you drain the reservoir, the pump just pulls straight out.

soarer.jzz30

if you need a newer unit, the 2000+ celica gts has a denso direction selectable unit that is easier to find and fits. The oem maruko unit is near impossible to find and dies easily especially if you use both switches at once.

soarer.jzz30

I was searching for a new washer pump on google. Ever since the forum started using Google i find old threads all the time. A decade passes and i dig it up idk.

Nobody

Well that was easy. Line for the windshield washer was there just not hooked up. Whoever was in there last had the valve backwards on the passenger side. Drivers side was gunked the fuck out, had to clean the valve nozzle and elbow with a toothpick and a can of air.