Engine help, ASAP please, before any major problem occur!!!

Vietnamesevo

Hey guys so, when i start up me car when its cold for a split second it sounds like there is a rattling in the engine, like a scored bearing or something, help please? It worries me. I have an 3SGE engine

Some facts:

previous owner did oil change, no idea what oil it is, but ill ask for it asap.
also owner said engine "has" 8k miles on the "new" motor looks kinda old, maybe rebuilt?

r-town

Not to scare you, but this is what happened to my 1992 Celica convertible with a 5SFE: One day while going to work, the oil pump pulley got loose. I drove the car for about a 2 miles before realizing that I was running with low oil pressure (had my stereo blasting). The car kept running because the timing belt was still in place. I fixed the problem, but after that incident at every cold start up I would get a knocking noise for a few seconds. The engine only lasted about 10k miles. Now the engine is seized because it threw a rod.

r-town

My car definitely had bad bearings, your issue can be valve noise related to low viscosity on the oil or a cheap oil filter.

flyingdutchman

You could drain the oil & pop off the oil pan to get a look at the main bearings, also check the oil for metal filings. You could also pull the timing belt covers & inspect the belt, pulleys, etc.

Maybe take a video of it so the gurus here can hear the sound? Also, maybe have a friend start your car so you can listen & try to pinpoint the sound better.