odd ideas for weight reduction ???

bajallama

Has anyone thought of swapping in a 2AZ when their 3S goes out? I've seen them make a lot of power when boosted and should be quite a bit lighter.

leekycelicy

People say, its not worth having a carbon hood you only save 20lbs, not worth removing A/C you only save 20lbs, or fenders only 20lbs or trunk only 20lbs or roof only 10lbs or lithium battery 20lbs or plastic windows 20lbs or this or that, weight is a collective issue, do it all and save 200lbs plus power means faster better handeling

Mafix

bajallama":34lcayga said:
Has anyone thought of swapping in a 2AZ when their 3S goes out? I've seen them make a lot of power when boosted and should be quite a bit lighter.
strongly considered. but it will mean I have to add 600lbs to the car to make race weight.

leekycelicy

loudstealthGT-Four":2kfqdjr6 said:
warracer":2kfqdjr6 said:
carbon fiber rear hatch with a lexan window would be awesome.

Haha why stop at the hatch.... All carbon fiber panels :D

Hell if money was no object, recreate the shell in CF....... GT-Four Supercar :D

Dude, seriously, next year im buying 200 meters of carbpn fibre twill and doing that

ALLensTRAC

leekycelicy":2320obnu said:
loudstealthGT-Four":2320obnu said:
warracer":2320obnu said:
carbon fiber rear hatch with a lexan window would be awesome.

Haha why stop at the hatch.... All carbon fiber panels :D

Hell if money was no object, recreate the shell in CF....... GT-Four Supercar :D

Dude, seriously, next year im buying 200 meters of carbpn fibre twill and doing that

Yeeaahh.... Sure you will lol!

On a serious note why has VIS not developed a carbon hatch for our cars? They make one for the 6th gen and 7th gen but not the 4th or 5th. I've seen mention of them being willing but no one comes forth in Cali to supply a car for development. I would but I'm in Florida. Do you guys think we have the numbers to do a group buy?

soarer.jzz30

I found a guy doing a fiberglass /lexan mould on instagram recently. Outside of the us.. But it is a mould so maybe he can make more

New Guy

Swap it out for a Camry All-Trac.

That's a ~200lb weight saving move right there. No sound deadening material, lighter undercoating, shoddy stereo, less comfortable seats... ;)

phattyduck

New Guy":wplt24ky said:

That's a ~200lb weight saving move right there. No sound deadening material, lighter undercoating, shoddy stereo, less comfortable seats... ;)
Its 100lbs or less difference... and you get 'upgraded' to the 'awesome' Camry front suspension... and you lose the Celica looks. But hey, rear seat room is awesome, right? :twisted:

-Charlie

leekycelicy

phattyduck":35frdsr2 said:
New Guy":35frdsr2 said:

Its 100lbs or less difference... and you get 'upgraded' to the 'awesome' Camry front suspension... and you lose the Celica looks. But hey, rear seat room is awesome, right? :twisted:

-Charlie

carbon bonnet, carbon boot and plastic window, carbon wings, carbon rear on the front seats, lithium battery, aluminium sump pan, plastic side windows, my big plan is for carbon doors, 2 moulds and original fittings, this time next year I will have the money to buy 50 meters of carbon weave and all the resin and fibre glass to have a go at making them, will take practice but I wil get there, anyone who doubts it can ask themselves, "can a carbon door be made by human hands"

ALLensTRAC

I'm not doubting you but it isn't exactly easy to build a carbon door. If you manage to pull it off make sure your mould is strong enough to build multiple sets and I will gladly buy them from you. I'm sure a few other members would too!

Insanity-74

I would be very careful with the use of carbon or fibreglass doors. The door does add quite a bit of strength to the shell of a car and helps keep it rigid, also carbon doors offer very little in the way of side impact crash protection. You should only really think about carbon doors if you have a full roll cage in your car to provide the strength and protection needed. Fibreglass doors are already available, it might be cheaper to buy some and just add a carbon fibre skin over the top.

Chuck.hudson

You wouldn't necessarily need a roll cage but you will need a crash bar running inside of the door. Something that bolts to the hinge and bolts to the latch. You might also want to look into locating an autoclave or some other type of big oven to properly kick your resin off. Oh and don't forget to get some kind of epoxy clear coat for the fiber otherwise youll end up with a kinda dry looking carbon fiber. Good luck with it. It really shoulnt be all too hard you can basically make it in two pieces and you can use an old door for your molds

Chuck.hudson

Haha yes this is very true, but that's not something that would stop me from doing such a thing like making carbon fiber body panels. If I was worried about getting into a wreck everytime I drove I would do a lot of things differently.

Xander_42

underscore":1nirp9y6 said:
Even with a cage, if you were involved in an impact I wouldn't want the shards of CF coming at me.

The simple solution to this is to put one layer of kevlar (or even just a fews tows of kevlar in a grid), to keep it contained in the event that the carbon disintegrated. This is apparently what some manufacturers (most, all?) of carbon handlebars are doing, this way if the carbon breaks it at least stays in one piece and everything is still connected.